IGNORED

Thinking about a RSTD

SpencerPJ

I love mine. It is a great cruiser. The red looks better in person and it looks great in the photo.

Mine doesn't whine often. I've read they did something about that by the 09s.

It rides great although the stock seat is not for long journeys.

First gens are faster and more nimble. These are better looking.

Once I got used to the difference when leaning it over I'm having fun in the twisties.

Cruise works well. The rear brake is different - locks before I think it should.

I usually get 40 mpg. I hated not having a center stand at first but I got used to it.

It gets lots of attention wherever I stop.

Here's mine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110766[/ATTACH]

Edited by tz89

Looks like we're up for this one!

Hi Paul:

We had an absolutely awesome '09 RSTD in the black/grey colour. The "best bike ever" of the 20 we've owned.

It would still be our 'Gamer', were it not for Age (75), and Health issues (you do NOT want to know!~).

From your Profile photo (for size) and Age, you could easily handle the Bike; no problem there.

Reliability: Bought new, they come with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY! Any other questions?~ During the years we owned ours, not a single thing went wrong. Not one.

You NEED to know the machine is top heavy. Lean it over too far from level (maybe while working on stuff in the garage?), it WILL fall down, go boom. Tranny whine IS there, but we kinda liked it. Somebody here refers to it as a Jet Engine winding up.

We're curious about the low mileage, becuz these bikes were meant to RIDE all day long, many days in a row. Most owners don't want to get off them.

We've heard/read squawks about seat comfort. We had no problems with that, but occasionally used an Air Hawk Seat Cushion to change things up a bit.

The Dash drove us crazy, but we fixed that with a golf cart handle mounted across the bars, that allowed us to mount tach, clock, thermometer, and GPS - hope the foto loads! Geeze, Louise - looks like it did!~

IF you can ride her before buying, please do so. It is a VERY BIG BIKE, and not for everyone. Sure wish we still had ours!

Rgds, WRIDR.

2542a.jpg

It gets lots of attention wherever I stop.

Here's mine

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110766

Very Nice. I really like the chrome on the rear bags.

I rode a 06 RSTD yesterday, a local on Craigslist. I liked the ride, he had loud pipes I hated, but kinda checked it out just for fit and feel. I know I would miss the fairing I have on my 83, but I sure like the headlight on the RSTD. I'm still kicking around the idea of a Venture, change the bars to RSTD bars and remove the trunk. When I spoke to the shop owner, he says he knows the one owner, this bike was just too bike for him, and he traded in on a smaller bike. I can understand that, they are big bikes.

Downside, he claims someone else is interested. I can not get there until Friday afternoon, so we shall see.

If you are thinking about pulling the trunk off a RSV then you might as well go with the TD. For me the one you have pictured would need at least a windshield. For the wife a better seat. But it sounds like you have different plans if your going to 86 the trunk. We like a trunk to store helmets and such on trips. I honestly have not talked to one person with a TD that has mentioned the clutch hine. It has all been RSV owners. With the new Bluetooth comms available who needs the on board stuff on the RSV? Happy hunting.

9,000 miles is barely broken in.

Re: leaky shock. I wouldn't worry about that for another 30,000 miles, and imo is more likely to happen if you heavily loaded, pulling trailer, etc etc.

The stock seat could be more comfortable, but is more comfortable than many other stock seats I've sat on.

....I honestly have not talked to one person with a TD that has mentioned the clutch hine. It has all been RSV owners.

RSTD or Venture makes no difference as they are the same power plant. My ‘06 RSTD had it pretty bad

WRIDR again:

Not so sure you WOULD miss the 83's fairing.

With the medium removable shield installed on the RSTD, it provides more than adequate wind protection - our opinion of course. The RSTD is a remarkable Bike in terms of being 'Best Of Both Worlds'. With 'shield installed, you get a sense it's a much more nimble machine than the Venture, primarily becuz that huge plastic mass isn't sitting in front of you.

Unfortunately, we didn't realize just how good the Bike's wind protection is, until after the 'First Downsizing' to a V-Star 950 twin. First time up on the Wide Road, running to 70 mph +, the sense of loss was stunning.

We suggest you not eliminate the RSTD due to lack of Wind Protection.

Rgds, WRIDR

Update: I was set to go look, checkbook in hand, Friday after lunch, darn it, sold Friday morning. He did warn me someone said they would be back, and offered to let me put $ down. I just couldn't put money down sight unseen, out of state. Wish I would have now...

I will continue to look. I do think I will stay focused on newer RSTD, anyone see's one, PM me please

They're out there. Here's a couple near me. Long ride home for you.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/2007-yamaha-royal-star-tour/6625368627.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/d/2008-yamah-royal-star-tour/6618368814.html

I think the RSTD is really great value bike especially if you have been riding any Venture and you love that water cooled V4. I searched for a while, nationwide, until mine popped up at a dealer across the river in Washington state. I went for a look, started it from cold, made sure all 4 fired, and bought it. I didn't even have to pay sales tax because Oregon doesn't have it and the dealer can waive it.

They're out there. Here's a couple near me. Long ride home for you.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/2007-yamaha-royal-star-tour/6625368627.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/d/2008-yamah-royal-star-tour/6618368814.html

I think the RSTD is really great value bike especially if you have been riding any Venture and you love that water cooled V4. I searched for a while, nationwide, until mine popped up at a dealer across the river in Washington state. I went for a look, started it from cold, made sure all 4 fired, and bought it. I didn't even have to pay sales tax because Oregon doesn't have it and the dealer can waive it.

Both those are nice indeed. I like both the red and the blue options. I'd never make it home riding from Portland, ha.

Yes, I do like the water cooled v4, and the GoldWing just does not sit/fit me well. I'm 99% sure I will get a RSTD, seems like my best option. I've ben looking at all surrounding states of Indiana, maybe something will pop up in late season. There are bike available, but I really want a pristine one, and will pay accordingly. I just got new tires installed on my 83 Venture, (need to pick them up and mount them) so I'm not without a ride right now, and heck, I might even keep that ol girl, she's quick.

Paul: any interest in looking at a low mileage (15,000 kms!) black '06 RSTD for $7,000 CAD?

Located at Motosports Trenton, in Trenton, Ontario? (For info/pix, Google dealer, click on "Pre-Owned", and it's the 4th or 5th bike down.) Appears to be in good shape, and mostly stock except for pipes and seats.

If so, we'll gladly contact the shop to get more details. Good people we've dealt with for 22 years.

Rgds, WRIDR

Spencer, I am currently in a hunt for a F 250 4wd. I have had a couple spied, and by time I could get in contact it was gone or when I got more info on vehicle it was not for me. We have come up with a philosophy on vehicles quite some time ago. If it works out and you dont have to jump thru a bunch of hoops, its meant to be. If it requires all sorts of rig-a-marrow to make it work, probably its a sign the man up stairs dont think its rite for ya. One of the worse cars we ever had we did all kinds of juggling to make it happen.

Paul: any interest in looking at a low mileage (15,000 kms!) black '06 RSTD for $7,000 CAD?

Located at Motosports Trenton, in Trenton, Ontario? (For info/pix, Google dealer, click on "Pre-Owned", and it's the 4th or 5th bike down.) Appears to be in good shape, and mostly stock except for pipes and seats.

If so, we'll gladly contact the shop to get more details. Good people we've dealt with for 22 years.

Rgds, WRIDR

Thanks, but I'm sure something closer will come up eventually