IGNORED

I really want this rifle....

Condor

Too rich for my blood. I seem to be going for quantity over quality ( not saying buy junk ) and have not had an issue withered firearms. Most of the time they're like used motorcycles. People buy them with great plans, but they never get used, then they sell them. Will gladly let someone else eat the initial depreciation.

There is a big difference between motorcycles and firearms..... Guns don't seem to depreciate. MOF I'm doing better 'investing' in guns than I would have if I had bought gold... About 5-6 years ago I actually considered buying some gold as a long term investment, but right before pulling the trigger my gut said NO.... It turns out that at the price it was selling for I would have been upside down for the next 6 years except for one point when it surged up and then fell back down a couple of months later. Even today it still is slightly under what I would have paid. So I had non-buyers remorse for couple of months, and have been doing a happy dance for the rest of the time... The gun collection however has been steadily appreciating. Some guns more than others, but all of them have increased in value. And as a bonus they are more fun to talk about... :-) Any day is a good day when we can talk about guns and motorcycles.... :banana:

PS: It also looks like that BEST/WEST rifle is going to go to someone with deeper pockets than this kids got.... That free's up funds to look at a few other's that are interesting...if the price is right?? :-):whistling:

That rifle is not really all that big of a number YET.

I am in the market for a new deer rifle or rebuild the one that I have. Either way I go it will cost me close to $2k.

The one I have mow is Rem 700, 7mm Rem Mag, stainless, synthetic, Leopold VX III, 4.5-16 x 40.

To rebuild it would need a new stock, new barrel, and a set of jaws for my barrel vice and action wrench. The current barrel is "worn out" by my standards meaning that the group size has opened up to about 1.25 inch at 100 yards. Still more accurate than what a lot of hunters can shoot, but it used to hold 0.600 groups all day. I do load it pretty hot which has helped it wear out after about 3500 rounds.

or

To buy new will need the new gun, and a new scope, and mounts. But then I can sell my "worn out" gun to finance part of the deal.

But then it is fun building new guns........ oh the dilemmas........

Or rebuild this one AND buy a new one.........:mo money:

I did a rebuild on an old Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 and it will do 0.500 groups all day long, as long as you do not let it get to hot. When the barrel hits about 130-140°F the groups start to open up. In summer temps it takes about 6 quick shots to get that hot and in winter deer hunting conditions it takes a dozen shots fired quickly. (I better not ever have to shoot at a deer 12 times :whistling:).

Darn, now you got me all wound up again............... :rasberry::mo money:

Jeff is your 7MM factory or custom? I have a synthetic stock here that I took off my 7MM because the wife liked the wood stock better. As for grouping shots at 100 yds. I have two Rem.700 that do less than 0.600 at 100. both are factory. I did pillar bed both guns and reload all of my bullets. The 7MM does 0.528 and the 300 does 0.375. I do not shoot them at all during the summer months. Only a few shots to check scopes before hunting season.

That rifle is not really all that big of a number YET.

or

I did a rebuild on an old Swedish Mauser 6.5 x 55 and it will do 0.500 groups all day long, as long as you do not let it get to hot. When the barrel hits about 130-140°F the groups start to open up. In summer temps it takes about 6 quick shots to get that hot and in winter deer hunting conditions it takes a dozen shots fired quickly. (I better not ever have to shoot at a deer 12 times :whistling:).

Darn, now you got me all wound up again...............

Well there ya go Jeff. It's still a lot less than starting from scratch...

Here's my Kimber 6.5x55 Gustof 96 Mauser Swede...

KIMBER.1.jpg

Jeff is your 7MM factory or custom? I have a synthetic stock here that I took off my 7MM because the wife liked the wood stock better. As for grouping shots at 100 yds. I have two Rem.700 that do less than 0.600 at 100. both are factory. I did pillar bed both guns and reload all of my bullets. The 7MM does 0.528 and the 300 does 0.375. I do not shoot them at all during the summer months. Only a few shots to check scopes before hunting season.

I'm kinda partial to those Rem 700's. Have several.

338RUM

rem700.338RUM.1 (Medium).jpg

7mmMag

remington700BDL.3.jpg

Plus a couple more in 223, 6mm, and 30-06.... :thumbsup2:

Soooooo,,, what ever happened to the ugly shotgun contest???? Zag and I are only ones who still do the shotgun thing????????:thumbdown:

By the way Zag,,, that aint no ugly shooter,,, that there's a PURDY popper IMHO!!!:thumbsup:

I like to shoot, so all of my guns get used a lot, year round. I understand that shooting high velocity max loads will erode the throat, especially in the hot summer, but that just makes for a good excuse to get another new gun.

The last hunting rifle that I sold when the groups opened up to 1.5. I sold it to a deer hunter that will never put more than a box of cheap ammo thru it per year. He said it is the most accurate gun he ever seen or owned. So we were both happy.

My current 7 mag I got from a guy the same day he bought it, and his wife caught him bringing it in the door. So it was only a couple of hours old and never been fired. I took it as a part payment for a boat I was flipping.

Soooooo,,, what ever happened to the ugly shotgun contest???? Zag and I are only ones who still do the shotgun thing????????:thumbdown:

By the way Zag,,, that aint no ugly shooter,,, that there's a PURDY popper IMHO!!!:thumbsup:

I guess you and Zag are they only ones so far.... Maybe if I added a grand prize of a Butter Pecan Ice Cream Sundae and braggin' rights, it might get a little more interesting?? Huh?? :whistling:...

No need to give it a thumbs down just yet.... :-)

My current 7 mag I got from a guy the same day he bought it, and his wife caught him bringing it in the door. So it was only a couple of hours old and never been fired. I took it as a part payment for a boat I was flipping.

That's funny. The 700 with the bi-pod in the above pic came out of an auction from a lawyer that had planned on doing some hunting and the trip fell through. The story was that it had only been shot a couple of times to sight it in.. So after the auction I asked the auctioneer if there was any ammo with it, and he said indeed there was and gave me a brand new box of Remington Core-Loks and there were no empties.... Ya can never trust those lawyers to give you the straight scoop. Unlike, I'm sure your's, this one still hasn't been shot.... :-)

OK....here is my entry. It may be ugly but I love it. It belonged to my grandfather and I've been shooting it since I was about 12 years old. Steven 311 Double 12 gauge. It used to have 32 inch barrels, I think they were. In a dumb moment, many years ago, I cut them off to about 18 1/4". I would like to buy another set of barrels for it if I can find any. I bought one set but they didn't lock up right. There are some minor differences over the years.

IMG_1089.jpg

OK....here is my entry. It may be ugly but I love it. It belonged to my grandfather and I've been shooting it since I was about 12 years old. Steven 311 Double 12 gauge. It used to have 32 inch barrels, I think they were. In a dumb moment, many years ago, I cut them off to about 18 1/4". I would like to buy another set of barrels for it if I can find any. I bought one set but they didn't lock up right. There are some minor differences over the years.

Back when they made that shotgun every part was hand fitted. They really didn't get into stamping until the 870, and then investment casting in the late 60's early 70's... You might check with a gunsmith and see if he might be able to get those barrels to fit??? :think: Grampa's guns and the memories are always the best......:backinmyday:

I wish there were some way to import a gun into Canada... In that same auction is a Flues Grade Ithaca single barrel trap. It's been restored, and not sure if it'll help or hurt the bidding?? That's the one I'd jump on...

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-15FXYI/ithaca-flues-victory-grade-12-ga-single-barrel-trap-gun-34-vr-barrel-1919

Just an update....

Been doing a bit of digging seems that biggest part of the problem is getting export licences in the USA & not so much importing to Canada (though there are still hoops to be jumped through). Anything gun connected, (even parts) that cost over $100 need an export licence but a friend told me about this outfit:

https://www.irunguns.ca/content.php?page=import-process

apparently they can transport between USA - Canada & Canada - USA.

They have offices in both USA & Canada & the process appears quite straightforward, but it's not cheap & adds $200 for the first item & $150 thereafter (not sure if that Cd$ or US$) but they look after all the legalities & paperwork in both countries.

Wrth knowing if I see a super genuine, knock-down price shotgun for sale in the in the US. LOL

PS: what happened to that ugly shotgun contest?

Condor I just checked the link you Posted a few minutes ago and the last bid was $3,900. :mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

Holy Rat Feathers... I guess we have two guys with lots of $$$, without a whole lot of common sense, having a pissing contest. An auctioneers dream... :draming::big-grin-emoticon:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a thread on here that I'm not a noob at.

My Uncle is a gunsmith and taught me how to re-blue and refinish stocks.

We made our own rifles.

Mine is an old 3 lug Mouser action, Heart barrel, Jewell trigger, Leupold scope on a Remington Base and rings in 25-06.

It hits where you hold it!!

I shoot fairly often but because of prices, I find myself shooting my side cock RWS Diana air rifle more often!!

Will

Finally a thread on here that I'm not a noob at.

My Uncle is a gunsmith and taught me how to re-blue and refinish stocks.

We made our own rifles.

Mine is an old 3 lug Mouser action, Heart barrel, Jewell trigger, Leupold scope on a Remington Base and rings in 25-06.

It hits where you hold it!!

I shoot fairly often but because of prices, I find myself shooting my side cock RWS Diana air rifle more often!!

Will

Welcome to the small but dedicated group of Venture Rider gun enthusiasts. This is what happens when we get bored or in some instances snowed in... :snow:... I'm glad we have guys like you around. I let you build them and then I collect them... :-) I've noticed a few members that follow the same mind set... It takes a real talent to build a quality rifle out of an old Mauser Action from scratch. One of my favorite 'Customs' to collect...