IGNORED

I really want this rifle....

Condor

Every once in a while when I think the itch has been scratched enough up pops a gun that captures my lusting imagination. There is probably no way it'll stay down in my pocket book range, but it'll keep me thinking for the next 3 weeks....

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-15FXXY/best-of-the-west-signature-series-7mm-rem-mag-cal-bolt-action-26-barrel-wmuzzle-brake-kevlar-stock-huskemaw-4x-16x-scope

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

Very nice gun Jack. I almost had one like it but was talked into a Weatherby 30-378 mag. I should have gone with the Western but I am happy with the 30.

I have a lot of big caliber mags Chuck, but this one in 7mmMag is in my wheelhouse. Kinda partial to 7mmRemMag, and my old favorite 264WinMag,... and no need to worry about not having enough ammo... :-) I don't have a Weatherby, but they've always held my attention, and they're realistic in their prices... The 30-378 is legendary in long range 1000 yd accuracy, and actually has the parent case of the 375H&H of which I own a few... :whistling: The BestWest retail is insane. 8g's for a rifle?? Com'on?? For way less then half of that you could build the finest long range rifle known to God.... But theirs do look cool... :-)

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to rifles and shotguns and even pistols. I love shooting but also really love the craftsmanship that goes into the guns. I just don't care at all for all the kevlar, polymer and even the laminated wood stocks. Give me a nicely figured walnut stock over any of those. Yes, I know that there are some advantages to the plastic stuff but I don't care. I want REAL wood.

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to rifles and shotguns and even pistols. I love shooting but also really love the craftsmanship that goes into the guns. I just don't care at all for all the kevlar, polymer and even the laminated wood stocks. Give me a nicely figured walnut stock over any of those. Yes, I know that there are some advantages to the plastic stuff but I don't care. I want REAL wood.

I'm right there with ya Don. I have a couple of safes full of hi-end custom rifles. I'll never shoot most of them, but enjoy the craftsmanship that went into building them. However I'm not very talented when it comes to in-letting an action, and when it came time to replace a nice stock on a rifle that UPS decided to break into two pieces... and after butchering a Bishop stock... I found a Hogue plastic that the barreled action slipped right into. Perfect fit. And I can live with it... :-) And I can appreciate even more the talent that goes into building a custom rifle....

I enjoy shooting, but in general am leery of used guns with high fps magnum cartridges because of their short barrel/throat life. That said, thats a beautiful gun with the best of everything.

I would feel the same way if I were buying a used target rifle, as they are the only ones that come close to wearing a bbl out. All of the custom rifles I'm interested are in general rebarreled custom commercial Mauser actions, and get shot 3-4 times a year during hunting season. Most, if not all bores, are like new, and because it's a custom the overall condition of the gun is excellent... If it's a beater I'll pass... To customize a Mauser at todays prices will cost 2k-3k. I can find them in 99.9% condition for $450-$650. Wadda deal!! :-)

I'm with Don on this one, love old wood guns. Where I live a 200yd shot is not often an option. I like hunting the deep woods and my favorite rifle for that is my old Marlin 44 mag. I got it used 30 years ago, it's been bumped and scratched and generally abused as my first choice of shooters. With a safe full of nice guns it's always the first one I reach for. It's fed the family truckloads of deer over the years.

Hey Condor,

To get the gun's accuracy at 1000 yards, you must have a much more steady hand than I've got! If I can hit anything at 100 yards, it is a bit of a miracle. I normally figure that I need to deal with the dimensions of my house - maybe 30 feet maximum. No hunting, unless someone unexpected shows up at 2am!

zag

Hey Condor,

To get the gun's accuracy at 1000 yards, you must have a much more steady hand than I've got! If I can hit anything at 100 yards, it is a bit of a miracle. I normally figure that I need to deal with the dimensions of my house - maybe 30 feet maximum. No hunting, unless someone unexpected shows up at 2am!

zag

Yeah, I agree Zag. There's too much going on between the muzzle and the target to get consistant accuracy... However.... we have a group of local long range shooters that consistantly hit a 4' boiler plate target at 2200 yds. They leave a live walky talky next to the target in order to hear the 'clank'. I seen pics of the aftermath and some of the bullets laying around on the ground and they are just bent. Most of the calibers are 50. Here's a website that'll give you an idea of what these guys do... http://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/07/05/what-the-pros-use-king-2-miles-edition/ I just look at it this way...if it's accurate at 1000yds, it'll be accurate at 100... :-)

Very nice!

I'm currently looking for a nice O/U Trap shotgun. but they are all too much for my pocketbook! :(

Would love something like a Browning CXT but at $2400....

I did see this at a local store last week & I'm tempted, but still a lot of $$ for a toy! Yes it is made in Turkey but they do get some extremely good press.

http://www.italiansportinggoods.com/firearms/shotguns/over-and-under/churchill-206-sporting-g2-adj-comb.html

add another 12% sales tax to that price too.

You guys just have it way to good down there. LOL

Edited by Kretz

David I have no idea of the gun laws in Canada but I use to shoot sporting clays and trap on a weekly event at a few clubs near me. A lot of the shooters used O/U but I had a Rem.1100 with a modified chock that I got for $125.00. It looked like someone used it for a boat paddle for a while. I took it apart and had all the metal parts blued and refinished the stock myself. This was done in the mid 80s and I still have it. If I was to start shooting today and had to buy an O/U it would be a Ruger Red label.

Very nice!

I'm currently looking for a nice O/U Trap shotgun. but they are all too much for my pocketbook! :(

Would love something like a Browning CXT but at $2400....

I did see this at a local store last week & I'm tempted, but still a lot of $$ for a toy! Yes it is made in Turkey but they do get some extremely good press.

http://www.italiansportinggoods.com/firearms/shotguns/over-and-under/churchill-206-sporting-g2-adj-comb.html

add another 12% sales tax to that price too.

You guys just have it way to good down there. LOL

Living in California, and being a gun nut, I can sympathize with you David. That Turkey looks pretty good but a lot of times what you see in a pic isn't what you get. Mainly fit a finish. However I have a few Chec and Italian copies that are made better than the original. Like Chuck mentioned his Rem1100. An 870T would also be a good choice. I like the 870 because of the ejection control. I've shot guns from both ends of the price spectrum and they all bust birds. I always found it funny when a trap shooter would be breaking 100's with a gun, and then drop a couple. Then get rid of the gun. If you like fancy wood, here's a pic of my 'collectible' 870TC 150 Anniversary. The wood is factory... Picked it up for $550 unfired.

REM870TC.2.jpgREM870TC.6.jpgREM870TC.8.jpg

Wow! that sure is a beautiful piece of wood!

Funny I was looking at a used 1100 & also a couple of 870's at the weekend at a sale at our local range. The 1100 I quite liked the fit & feel & he was asking $525 obo for it. BUT the guy selling it talked me out of it, he is a dedicated trap shooter & said it wasn't really the best gun for trap. I will see him at the range though so may talk to him again about it.

The Turkish one I mentioned, (Churhill by Akkar) that company used to (maybe still do) manufacture for Charles Daly who I gather is well respected in the US. They are also backed by one of the big importers in the UK. They make all parts themselves & don't contract out, so they have a good handle on quality control.

We'll see.... like I said $1500 is a lot for a toy!

Wow! that sure is a beautiful piece of wood!

Funny I was looking at a used 1100 & also a couple of 870's at the weekend at a sale at our local range. The 1100 I quite liked the fit & feel & he was asking $525 obo for it. BUT the guy selling it talked me out of it, he is a dedicated trap shooter & said it wasn't really the best gun for trap. I will see him at the range though so may talk to him again about it.

The Turkish one I mentioned, (Churhill by Akkar) that company used to (maybe still do) manufacture for Charles Daly who I gather is well respected in the US. They are also backed by one of the big importers in the UK. They make all parts themselves & don't contract out, so they have a good handle on quality control.

We'll see.... like I said $1500 is a lot for a toy!

Back in my day...:backinmyday:...Muruku in Japan made Charles Daly's. Which reminds me they still owe me a shotgun... :-) While a jobber rep I opened up the most Daly Dealers for the wholesaler, and first place was a Charles Daly O/U. Never got it... Anyway back then they were a nice gun. Don't have a clue what they are like now. As far as your friends opinion there are 100's of weekend warrior trap shooters shooting 1100's and 870's. We had one local kid that won the Jr's competition in Vandalia shooting an 1100.. The pro of the 1100 is it makes a decent doubles gun. The con is controlling the ejection of the empty. They do make a gizmo keeper that will keep the shell from hitting the guy on the next station... :-) The pro on the 870 is it's much easier to deal with empties, but a little cumbersome shooting doubles. Think how many Winchester Model 12 traps were worn out over the years. I wish there were some way to import a gun into Canada... In that same auction is a Flues Grade Ithaca single barrel trap. It's been restored, and not sure if it'll help or hurt the bidding?? That's the one I'd jump on...

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lots/view/1-15FXYI/ithaca-flues-victory-grade-12-ga-single-barrel-trap-gun-34-vr-barrel-1919

I have used my 11-87 for trap, deer hunting, bird hunting, small game hunting, sporting clays, bowling pin shoots, and it seems to do them all well, it is not a pretty work of art, it looks pretty beat up from pounding through dense cover in the woods. but it always goes bang and hits what its pointed at. The 1187 is just the newer version of the 1100. I would like to know more about why this person said the 1100 is not good for trap. The only reason that I can think of is that being a semi auto that flings hulls, many ranges will not let you pick shells or hulls up off the ground. If you drop a shell or a hull it now belongs to the range. But then you can buy a clip that mounts in the ejection port to catch your empty hull. If you do not reload then this is not an issue.

Now I need to take some pics when I get home.

But what is ugly to one may be beauty to another.

To me beauty is a very well used shotgun that has seen a lot of hunting and given a lot of enjoyment. A "pretty" gun that looks brand new has most likely not led a life that gave a LOT of enjoyment out in the real world. Kind of along the same lines as @cowpuc and Tweekssis.

First to Condor, sorry I appear to have hi-jacked your thread somewhat, as we now seem to be talking about shotguns not the rifle you were posting about. So my apologies for that, the saving grace I guess is we are still talking about firearms! LOL

I believe also that Miroku made (make?) a number of the Browning Citori SG's.

As for importing guns to Canada I'm sure it can be done, but I think it's purposely made "not simple" for an individual to do it, but I do think it's possible, may just take a while & lots of paperwork I'm sure! I may look into that & see what's involved.

Our gun laws are not bad, especially for "non-restricted" rifles, long guns, SG's etc. There isn't even a register of owners kept any longer. It's the restricted handguns (all of 'em) & the AR platform lookalikes that seem to cause the panic.

To Jeff, I don't think the guy was saying it was a "bad" gun just that it wasn't the ideal & that there were probably ones better suited solely to trap & such, but I do take everyone's point that there are thousands of 1100/ 870's being used around the world for all sorts of shooting disciplines, & very successfully too. I will be seeing the him at the range on Clay night, so I'll get to talk to him again about it. I'll keep you informed.

Our range is pretty neat in that they don't get bent out of shape about pumps, semi-autos etc (unlike the UK where they used to be frowned upon & weren't allowed on game shoots at all but they are more accepted now I believe) Having said that anyone with less than a pair of Purdey's could be frowned on in the UK. LOL

We are expected to "pick up" after each round, it's a very tidy range but not overly regimented. I intend to try some reloading with a friend when I get more into it. I don't think it saves much in money but looks to be more fun that watching TV!

Thank you for the constructive insights & comments! :beer: Take care all!

Condor as to the importing question seems we can

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm#f1

& the associated links, fyi shotguns are considered non-restricted.

Hmmm! Looks like it may be time to do some reading!

Edited by Kretz

Now I need to take some pics when I get home.

But what is ugly to one may be beauty to another.

To me beauty is a very well used shotgun that has seen a lot of hunting and given a lot of enjoyment. A "pretty" gun that looks brand new has most likely not led a life that gave a LOT of enjoyment out in the real world. Kind of along the same lines as cowpuc and Tweekssis.

I just read this to Tweeksis,, she wanted me to tell you thanks for making sure her name was mentioned in the paragraph where both beauty and pretty were used and not in the other paragraph where ugly was spoken.. :big-grin-emoticon:

Personally,,, I agree 100% with your thoughts here Fool and am including a couple pics of a couple of my more "beautiful" shotguns for entrance into Jack's ugly shotgun contest !!

The first one is of my 12 gauge beatered up double barrel that has been used to knock down trees in the pursuit of partridge and beat brush piles in search of lop eared snow shoed and cotton tail rabbits that shook the nose of my hounds many many years ago.. Included also is my .410 whose sites were altered many many years ago by yours truly for deer hunting down in the"Shot Gun Only" area down south of us.. "Teeny" (my old 410) would lay in a real tight group with a slug at 100 yards off its factory bead BUT was shooting consistently about 10" high at that range with 3" slugs when lobbed at that range .. I built the end of the barrel up with black tap and ran a screw into the tape to become the front sight.. Absolute 3" bullseye at 100 yards as you see it!! Ugly,, not in my eyes,,, maybe in the eyes of the 2 deer who filled those Doe permits back to help out the farmers whose crops those critters were eatin but in my eyes, and I am sure those farmers would agree with you and IDSCN6737.JPGDSCN6738.JPGDSCN6739.JPGDSCN6740.JPGDSCN6741.JPGDSCN6742.JPGDSCN6743.JPG = these old beaters are nothing short of GORGEOUS in both looks and memories!!

First to Condor, sorry I appear to have hi-jacked your thread somewhat, as we now seem to be talking about shotguns not the rifle you were posting about. So my apologies for that, the saving grace I guess is we are still talking about firearms! LOL

I believe also that Miroku made (make?) a number of the Browning Citori SG's.

As for importing guns to Canada I'm sure it can be done, but I think it's purposely made "not simple" for an individual to do it, but I do think it's possible, may just take a while & lots of paperwork I'm sure! I may look into that & see what's involved.

Our gun laws are not bad, especially for "non-restricted" rifles, long guns, SG's etc. There isn't even a register of owners kept any longer. It's the restricted handguns (all of 'em) & the AR platform lookalikes that seem to cause the panic.

To Jeff, I don't think the guy was saying it was a "bad" gun just that it wasn't the ideal & that there were probably ones better suited solely to trap & such, but I do take everyone's point that there are thousands of 1100/ 870's being used around the world for all sorts of shooting disciplines, & very successfully too. I will be seeing the him at the range on Clay night, so I'll get to talk to him again about it. I'll keep you informed.

Our range is pretty neat in that they don't get bent out of shape about pumps, semi-autos etc (unlike the UK where they used to be frowned upon & weren't allowed on game shoots at all but they are more accepted now I believe) Having said that anyone with less than a pair of Purdey's could be frowned on in the UK. LOL

We are expected to "pick up" after each round, it's a very tidy range but not overly regimented. I intend to try some reloading with a friend when I get more into it. I don't think it saves much in money but looks to be more fun that watching TV!

Thank you for the constructive insights & comments! :beer: Take care all!

Condor as to the importing question seems we can

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm#f1

& the associated links, fyi shotguns are considered non-restricted.

Hmmm! Looks like it may be time to do some reading!

Welllll,, I aint fixen to apologize to Jack here cause I KNOW that any chatter about guns in any way and of any sort in one of his gun threads is not considered another :hijacked: thread,,, besides, if I did say sorry for the Hi-Jack, Jack would think I was saying sorry for saying Hi,,, Jack :sign02:..

Sooooo,,, @Kretz ,,,,, are you telling us that if go ridin across the UK or Canada in search of a spot to drop a tent for the night and go treasure huntin too we probably wont get to sink our eye teeth into this kind of awesomeness???:big-grin-emoticon:

Don't think you'd find anything like that :(, but dang you got somethin weird goin' on down there.... You guys should know you're supposed to be shootin' at those targets out in the desert though, but just look at all those holes in that there roof! LOL Hope it don't rain much there! :doh:

Too rich for my blood. I seem to be going for quantity over quality ( not saying buy junk ) and have not had an issue withered firearms. Most of the time they're like used motorcycles. People buy them with great plans, but they never get used, then they sell them. Will gladly let someone else eat the initial depreciation.

:301: