IGNORED

What brand of Premium, are you planning to feed this bad boy?

Wanna see just how much ethanol in in gas. Take a look at this.

HOW FREAKIN' DEPRESSING!

What an eye opener...THAT much content. No wonder everybody''s engines runs like crap (but you don't know it...) , and MPG is literally stolen from the purchaser....and lawn equipment and snowblower's carburetors corrode.

Remember folks..governments SELL this ethanol, they have their feet right in it.

Just another form of hidden and mandatory tax....with your equipment suffering. Talk to marine outboard owners, about going to the gas station on the way up to the cottage...buying Regular whatever...and then perhaps at the dock, or even out upon the lake after the engine has been turned off...they can't start it...have to be towed in. Then, they buy marine gas...and get bent over the railing... I'm going to send this vid to my brother in law. I know he would buy this kit in a heartbeat. There's a gas station that always heavily discounts per liter, and that's where he wants to buy his own gas...but in the past, this has caused many hard or no-start issues on his 55 HP.

Thanks for posting. I didn't know this even existed.

This has turned into a great thread...very informative!

Post Edit thought...I looked at that separator again...and how much loss in volume this chap had. So...thinking about this...he paid for that volume...and now it sits as water...a financial loss. So....hmmm...better to just pump ethanol certified free, Shell Premium Nitro +, and save the cost and time of separating the ethanol from the gas. He purchased Premium with ethanol, but at least in Canada...you can get the Shell Premium Nitro + at ANY Shell station that sells this blend. For those that don't have a gas station or access to ethanol free...this is the way to go...it will pay for itself...in your MPG improvement and operating/maintenance costs.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is easy to extract the ethanol with water. BUT. What none of these people realize or mention is that by removing the ethanol you are also lowering the octane rating of the gas. Straight ethanol has approximately the equivalent of 100 octane. the oil companies use the ethanol as one of the ingredients to rise the octane to the desired level. So if you are going to a separation you would be best off starting with a higher octane gas. You do not want your octane to get to low and pop a hole in the top of a piston. I am to lazy to do the math right now to determine what starting octane you need.

The video did say to start out with premium.

I see this, only in areas where a rider can't even get a full ethanol-free blend. For if you can, by the amount of volume you lose in extracting ethanol from each gallon of gas...you might as well pump ethanol free premium, no matter that it would cost more money per gallon, than regular, ethanol laced. Your loss of volume in a regular gallon, would cancel any or all added cost from the Premium ethanol free.

So it's Sunday morning and I'm sitting here thinking... dangerous but entertaining... :-) There's 15% ethanol in every gallon of gas sold. With the amount of gas we burn in the US per day that's one hell of a lot ethanol. Since I've heard that ethanol comes from corn, is there enough corn grown every year to supply the ethanol needed to lace all the fuel with that evil stuff, and still have enough for the BBQ and popcorn???? :icon_lurker::backinmyday:

I just crunched some numbers and the ethanol needed for just one day is 2.3 million gallons of ethanol... Whew!!!

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=23&t=10

So I found that;

Ethanol can be produced from a variety of feedstocks such as sugar cane, bagasse,miscanthus, sugar beet, sorghum, grain, switchgrass, barley, hemp, kenaf, potatoes,sweet potatoes, cassava, sunflower, fruit, molasses, corn, stover, grain, wheat, straw,cotton, other biomass, as well as many types of cellulose waste.....

Sounds like we're going to have a food shortage.....

Edited by Condor

So it's Sunday morning and I'm sitting here thinking... dangerous but entertaining... :-) There's 15% ethanol in every gallon of gas sold. With the amount of gas we burn in the US per day that's one hell of a lot ethanol. Since I've heard that ethanol comes from corn, is there enough corn grown every year to supply the ethanol needed to lace all the fuel with that evil stuff, and still have enough for the BBQ and popcorn???? :icon_lurker::backinmyday:

I just crunched some numbers and the ethanol needed for just one day is 2.3 million gallons of ethanol... Whew!!!

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=23&t=10

So I found that;

Ethanol can be produced from a variety of feedstocks such as sugar cane, bagasse,miscanthus, sugar beet, sorghum, grain, switchgrass, barley, hemp, kenaf, potatoes,sweet potatoes, cassava, sunflower, fruit, molasses, corn, stover, grain, wheat, straw,cotton, other biomass, as well as many types of cellulose waste.....

Sounds like we're going to have a food shortage.....

...or it can be produced from my wife's attempt at rice pudding. "Shhhhhhhhshhhhhh...glad she doesn't read the forums...for I'd be in deep ethanol right now...with some major back-firing's...." ;)

Yes it is easy to extract the ethanol with water. BUT. What none of these people realize or mention is that by removing the ethanol you are also lowering the octane rating of the gas. Straight ethanol has approximately the equivalent of 100 octane. the oil companies use the ethanol as one of the ingredients to rise the octane to the desired level. So if you are going to a separation you would be best off starting with a higher octane gas. You do not want your octane to get to low and pop a hole in the top of a piston. I am to lazy to do the math right now to determine what starting octane you need.

If that's the case how about adding a pint of 15% back into the ethanol free fuel...?? That would be one way to boost the octane... Another thought would be since they removed the lead way back when and replaced it with an ethanol or alcohol?? water mix, would it be OK to run the no ethanol fuel with the harder valves in todays engines?? Or would a lead additive be needed??? :think:

If that's the case how about adding a pint of 15% back into the ethanol free fuel...?? That would be one way to boost the octane... Another thought would be since they removed the lead way back when and replaced it with an ethanol or alcohol?? water mix, would it be OK to run the no ethanol fuel with the harder valves in todays engines?? Or would a lead additive be needed??? :think:

Nope..or Shell (in Canada) would not have an ethanol-free premium on the market. In all the tests that you can view upon the internet...engines running this Premium...the valves look brand new, as well as the seats. :)

Nope..or Shell (in Canada) would not have an ethanol-free premium on the market. In all the tests that you can view upon the internet...engines running this Premium...the valves look brand new, as well as the seats. :)

Interesting... What do they do to boost the octane?? Shell premium in California has 15% ethanol....

Interesting... What do they do to boost the octane?? Shell premium in California has 15% ethanol....

I'd guess that best to answer that, would be to go onto Shell Canada's site and see if the answer to your question is there. But in Canada...Shell Premium Nitro Plus at 91 octane rating IS totally ethanol free. Pure petrol...plus cleaner additives and friction modifiers. It's truly a really great blend, and I use it now in all my gas engine'ed lawn and garden equipment, my snowblower, the bikes...and the van. Nothing else, unless I am forced to use something in its place. Very great success with it. :) I am getting on average in my van...about a 15 percent better fuel economy, which pretty much cancels out any cost difference between the Premium and their Regular. Front end cost at the pump...but back end savings to negate it.

Their Regular, though is like anybody's else's Regular. Ethanol laced... :(

I'd guess that best to answer that, would be to go onto Shell Canada's site and see if the answer to your question is there. But in Canada...Shell Premium Nitro Plus at 91 octane rating IS totally ethanol free. Pure petrol...plus cleaner additives and friction modifiers. It's truly a really great blend, and I use it now in all my gas engine'ed lawn and garden equipment, my snowblower, the bikes...and the van. Nothing else, unless I am forced to use something in its place. Very great success with it. :) I am getting on average in my van...about a 15 percent better fuel economy, which pretty much cancels out any cost difference between the Premium and their Regular. Front end cost at the pump...but back end savings to negate it.

When touring on the bike I always had better performance with Shell, even here in the US. MOF it is the only fuel I use once out of California... We're more concerned with the stuff south of your boarder. What Shell Canada does with their premium to get away from ethanol can't be done down here. 15% ethanol is mandated in the US. But I think I found the answer. From the Shell/Canada web site....

What makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than other Shell grades?

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.

The answer.... THEY US SEA-FOAM!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Just curious, did you ever check to see if you ethanol free is actually ethanol free? Around here they are putting in way more ethanol that they are allowed to.

Just curious, did you ever check to see if you ethanol free is actually ethanol free? Around here they are putting in way more ethanol that they are allowed to.

Yes...and if you also want to, you can call any of the customer numbers on the Shell Canada site...and verify that Canada wide, Shell Premium Nitro + (they use the plus sign as the blend on the gas pumps) is indeed totally ethanol free. That's the only one though...their regular and mid grade all have ethanol.

Also, this is Shell's decision to give you unadulterated gas at the premium level. Some of the other major player's up here...also spike their premium blends with ethanol. So, that being I told my wife, that we will always fuel and 'butt' up...around finding a true corporate Shell gas station. I don't know about the convenience/shell also, combo's. I only speak for stand alone Shell gas stations. I think sometimes you can get the slippery sam happenings with convenience store/gas fills.

If by your question did you mean did I ever use the water and separation thing on this thread? No...but my 15 percent better MPG, is there, because of no ethanol. Ethanol sucks for BTU energy output...and is the cause of so many people getting ripped off on MPG, forced to use the stuff. The first time I ever decided to use Shell Premium (Canada) Nitro (for its nitrogen content) plus (for the additive packages of cleaners and friction modifiers), I thought that something was wrong with my gas gauge. On the exact same routes to work, same traffic, same, same, the needle didn't start to move for over 2 days of the week. What a difference running this gas makes...and it is probably costing me nothing more by the next time I visit the pump. Front end sticker shock...negated by back end MPG obtainment. The fuel has more inherent BTU (British Thermal Units of energy measure) , so less is required from the injectors for any road condition, than when they were injecting gas/ethanol. I intend to use this for life, unless Shell Canada starts at any point to add ethanol. If they do...then I will go back to the regular with ethanol. To burn premium that has ethanol, (unless you need the higher octane rating) would have no 'juice' or benefit, IMO.

BTW, if you know for a fact that they are adding more than legislated California Weights and Measures legislation allows for...I'd certainly lodge a complaint with the California agency responsbile for oversight, and see what shakes down. That is downright Consumer Fraud.

When touring on the bike I always had better performance with Shell, even here in the US. MOF it is the only fuel I use once out of California... We're more concerned with the stuff south of your boarder. What Shell Canada does with their premium to get away from ethanol can't be done down here. 15% ethanol is mandated in the US. But I think I found the answer. From the Shell/Canada web site....

What makes Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline different than other Shell grades?

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ contains the highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System and cleans up faster than Shell regular. In fact, Shell V-Power now contains seven times the amount of cleaning agents required by federal standards. The new Shell V-Power NiTRO+ formulation contains an innovative combination of two key cleaning agents that work together in harmony to provide the BEST TOTAL engine protection you can get. It provides unbeatable protection against gunk and corrosion, and superior protection against wear.

The answer.... THEY US SEA-FOAM!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

LOL...or something like it...and as I said at the first of this thread, since I am using this gas...I haven't bought anything else for additives (so there is another reason that the pump shock gets canceled out). I always used Sea Foam...and also used M.M.O. Now? Nope..so no added cost, other than this gas. You'd think I worked for Shell as a shill ...lol..but I don't. I just found a great gas blend that is making all my gas engines...garden, snow, toys, cars...run the best I have ever seen. On the grass trimmer...one pull. Chainsaw...one or two pulls. Before with ethanol? I carried my Rosary...in my back pocket...;)

BTW, for whenever you and your better half, wish to visit the Great White North...well..not so 'white', in July, lol...come here on practically fumes...and then fill that bad boy of yours up with the Canadian 'Good Stuff'....lol. Take back a few gas cans with you...to California, along with three or four two-fours of beer. (You might need to use a trailer!) Put it on Craig's List, the gas...not the beer, lol...and rake the money in! LOLOLOL Who knows...maybe there is good money in this idea...sort of run it like booze in Prohibition. (Knock at the door). Door view slides open; "Yeah?" "I want some of that Canadian Shell Nitro". "Yeah? You got money?" "Yep..right here..." "Ok...meet me around back and stay quiet...". "No problem, and oh...Queasy the Mole sent me". "Yeah..good ole' Queasy". Door view panel snaps shut......... Hmmmm......

Cheers,

Joe

I'm just jealous that no one sells real gas within 100 miles of me.

Real gas is available up where I deer hunt, So in November I get 10 gallons of real gas to fill all of my things that will hibernate over the winter. And what is left is a treat for my winter engines.

I'm just jealous that no one sells real gas within 100 miles of me.

Real gas is available up where I deer hunt, So in November I get 10 gallons of real gas to fill all of my things that will hibernate over the winter. And what is left is a treat for my winter engines.

Man, that's got to be such a pain, Jeff! I guess that I will consider myself lucky to only have to go a mile or more away from the homestead. What we take for granted...small and large!

Good idea though about bringing that gas back...and perhaps a couple hundred pounds of prime venison!

Speaking of venison..that reminds me to make some more home-made, hickory smoked jerky. Waiting for a sale on chuck...lol.

That was another thought I had. Is it actually ethanol free?? I guess a simple way to tell is take a pint of their Premium and do a colored water ethanol removal test. :think:

Here's a Toronto Star feature article on this blend..

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2015/07/09/premium-gasoline-can-save-drivers-money-shell-says.html

Quote within the article:

"...At 91 octane, the new Nitro+ has the same rating as the V-Power it replaces, but also includes a new additive package that the company says will reduce engine gunk, corrosion, and wear. It also contains no ethanol."

And this right from Shell Canada's site that I just searched and found:

11. Is Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline safe for all vehicles?

• Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is effective in all gasoline-powered engines found in conventional, modern and hybrid vehicles as well as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and leisure marine vehicles.
  • Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.

For my fellow Canadian riders...and especially SVTC /Eluder riders..here is the ENTIRE scoop from Shell Canada on this blend:

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-vpower-nitro-plus-faqs.html#vanity-aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zaGVsbC5jYS9lbi9wcm9kdWN0cy1zZXJ2aWNlcy9zaGVsbC1mb3ItZHJpdmVycy9mdWVscy9zaGVsbC12cG93ZXIvZmFxLmh0bWw

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-nitrogen-enriched-gasolines.html

Another personal observation...in that the SVTC and Eluder are air/oil cooled...and that the greatest hot spot in the entire engine is the valve seat and valve body...so having a super clean valve body, and valve seat, and,...not being insulated by carbon and other pollutants (phosphor) will allow the max heat transfer AND, will not have the metal content heat escalating, due to those very combustion deposits. So, in my view...another greater push to use this or some similar fuel blend, for our babies... :)

Post Edit: From yet another sub-header:

• Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline contains 0% Ethanol.

co op premium and Costco premium in Canada are teir one and eythnol free

Can you point to internet confirms? Thanks...that would be my back up then.

I found this...will look to see: Apparently, in Ontario, we have many choices...cool!

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

POST EDIT!!!!!

OK..so this list isn't worth the paper it's printed on...check this out as reader comments:

Esso - ESSO

6192 Lundys Ln, Niagara Falls ON

905-353-0020

Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91

GPS coordinates: N 43.08907 W 79.09732 (located from address)Updated by Demo, January 28, 2018 15:48 CST

All their gas contains ethanol...they said their 91 was ethanol free...no sticker on pump...did sample test on their 91 it contained ethanol...told them to stop claiming the gas was ethanol free.

Updated by sam, May 20, 2016 8:33 CDT

I was just told by the attendant that all their gas has ethanol

Joe

Can you point to internet confirms? Thanks...that would be my back up then.

I found this...will look to see: Apparently, in Ontario, we have many choices...cool!

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

POST EDIT!!!!!

OK..so this list isn't worth the paper it's printed on...check this out as reader comments:

Esso - ESSO

6192 Lundys Ln, Niagara Falls ON

905-353-0020

Ethanol-free octane ratings: 91

GPS coordinates: N 43.08907 W 79.09732 (located from address)Updated by Demo, January 28, 2018 15:48 CST

All their gas contains ethanol...they said their 91 was ethanol free...no sticker on pump...did sample test on their 91 it contained ethanol...told them to stop claiming the gas was ethanol free.

Updated by sam, May 20, 2016 8:33 CDT

I was just told by the attendant that all their gas has ethanol

Joe

Dear Valued Member,

Thank you for contacting Costco.

Please note that there is no ethanol in premium 91 octane gasoline for all Canadian Costco warehouse locations.

If you have any further inquiries, please reply to this e-mail or call our member service agents at 1-800-463-3783, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST. They will be happy to assist you.

Stephanie C.

Member Service

Costco Wholesale

Dear Valued Member,

Please note that there is no ethanol in premium 91 octane gasoline for all Canadian Costco warehouse locations.

If you have any further inquiries, please reply to this e-mail or call our member service agents at 1-800-463-3783, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. EST. They will be happy to assist you.

Stephanie C.

Member Service

Costco Wholesale

Told Ya!.... But you didn't believe me :rolleyes: LOL

I have burned a LOT of 85 octane while touring out west on my 1st Gens and really have never had an issue - even loaded up and running in desert tempts.. As a matter of fact,,, I always thought they ran really good on the stuff - never did experience any pinging (IMHO, only reason to ever run higher octane - always seemed to me that the most power I realized was running the lowest octane I could with no pinging :confused24:).. I am actually glad that the 1st Gens were designed to use low octane fuels because I LOVE cow towning out west and there are many little one pump cow towns in the western states (not so much in the eastern U.S. but in the west this is common) where 85 octane is about all you can find.

Is the new Venture spect for 91 or better? It would seem that being a low compression motor (9.5 to 1) designed for low RPM torque with a red line 1000 R's before HP is even relevant so it probably has no overlap in its cam profile that it would only require 87 or 89 octane.. Maybe not though being air cooled,,,,, motor heat definitely can effect preignition as the fuel gets warm in the intake trac and is pulled into a really hot combustion chamber associated with an air cooled motor..

Back in the old days when points ignition and easily adjustable distributors were all the rage us kids use to carry those funny looking distributor wrenches under the seats of our cars for drag race days.. We would toy around with octane ratings and distributor adjustments and looking for the lowest octane fuel we could burn with the distributor advanced right to spark knock and then backed off a little so it wouldnt knock under a load produced the most power and where/what we ran.. IMHO, using high octane in a motor designed to run on lower octane fuels is not necessarily in your best interest...

As far as corn fuel being a problem with performance or high maintenance issues, my biggest gripe with the stuff is how hard it is on rubber in diaphrams and other rubberized carb parts problems.. With EFI though, I would foresee way less issues and actually, because alcky burns cleaner (ever see the top end out of Alcohol bike after its been run = WOWZY talk about clean!!), it seems like it would actually assist in keeping down carbon = a HUGE contributor to spark knock IMHO.. Personally,, in that the new Ventures motor is basically the same top end out of the Strat/Raider (same heads, cam, pistons, jugs, pushrods, cam chest cavity, cam, valves = big difference in bottom end though and smaller intake track and single throttle body instead of twins to reduce HP and increase Torque) and knowing Mom Yam has LOTS of time with that design - I would totally trust whatever those Yamaha engineers say to run in the thing and stick with it.. Cant imagine them designing anything to run non corn fuel in a day and age when getting away from fozzil fuel seems to be the direction we have been heading....

Dear Valued Member,

Stephanie C.

Member Service

Costco Wholesale

Thanks Zoey! We've been thinking about joining up at Costco's for awhile. This certainly would be a 'shove' in that direction. Good to know that all Costco gas locations are 91 octane, ethanol free. Thanks for the come back!

Joe

I have burned a LOT of 85 octane while touring out west on my 1st Gens and really have never had an issue - even loaded up and running in desert tempts.. As a matter of fact,,, I always thought they ran really good on the stuff - never did experience any pinging (IMHO, only reason to ever run higher octane - always seemed to me that the most power I realized was running the lowest octane I could with no pinging :confused24:).. I am actually glad that the 1st Gens were designed to use low octane fuels because I LOVE cow towning out west and there are many little one pump cow towns in the western states (not so much in the eastern U.S. but in the west this is common) where 85 octane is about all you can find.

Is the new Venture spect for 91 or better? It would seem that being a low compression motor (9.5 to 1) designed for low RPM torque with a red line 1000 R's before HP is even relevant so it probably has no overlap in its cam profile that it would only require 87 or 89 octane.. Maybe not though being air cooled,,,,, motor heat definitely can effect preignition as the fuel gets warm in the intake trac and is pulled into a really hot combustion chamber associated with an air cooled motor..

Back in the old days when points ignition and easily adjustable distributors were all the rage us kids use to carry those funny looking distributor wrenches under the seats of our cars for drag race days.. We would toy around with octane ratings and distributor adjustments and looking for the lowest octane fuel we could burn with the distributor advanced right to spark knock and then backed off a little so it wouldnt knock under a load produced the most power and where/what we ran.. IMHO, using high octane in a motor designed to run on lower octane fuels is not necessarily in your best interest...

As far as corn fuel being a problem with performance or high maintenance issues, my biggest gripe with the stuff is how hard it is on rubber in diaphrams and other rubberized carb parts problems.. With EFI though, I would foresee way less issues and actually, because alcky burns cleaner (ever see the top end out of Alcohol bike after its been run = WOWZY talk about clean!!), it seems like it would actually assist in keeping down carbon = a HUGE contributor to spark knock IMHO.. Personally,, in that the new Ventures motor is basically the same top end out of the Strat/Raider (same heads, cam, pistons, jugs, pushrods, cam chest cavity, cam, valves = big difference in bottom end though and smaller intake track and single throttle body instead of twins to reduce HP and increase Torque) and knowing Mom Yam has LOTS of time with that design - I would totally trust whatever those Yamaha engineers say to run in the thing and stick with it.. Cant imagine them designing anything to run non corn fuel in a day and age when getting away from fozzil fuel seems to be the direction we have been heading....

Yep..it's a 91 octane rated gas sipper. Perhaps because of the huge coffee-can displacement and volume burn on those pistons. Also...probably to have no issues with the four valve seats?!? But..that's what they recommend. You just know that somebody is going to try to run regular in their SVTC 'just to see'...

Good luck...lol. If I end up not getting my SVTC at all...It is going to be interesting this year, running my Kawasaki ZR7S (rated for 87 octane) on 91 octane through Arizona...and see if I can hear any different top-end sounds... I have always wondered if there was some slight ping happening, but brushed that off to a busy dual cam on bucket shim top end. This will be the first year that I run ONLY Shell Premium Nitro in CowFace...and I will be listening for top end sounds on full throttle roll outs...onto the freeways, etc. Will be interesting. Of course, if I EVER get my SVTC...than the 91 octane dance is a given. ;)