IGNORED

Fellow GM Hot-rodders!!! Need Some Advice!

Chaharly

My mustang got in a little wreck and I found a 92 trans am for 340 bucks. I bought it before even looking at the odomoter. I got going down the road and i looked down and saw it only had 113xxx miles on it.

But anyways back to my question,

I want to put a 350 LT1 fuel injected motor into it, can i still run the tranny that's in it now?

The engine in it is either a 305 or 350. The transmission will have the same bell housing. As for the torque converter, the only difference will be the stall. If you have the 305, you will have a medium stall. The 350 will be a low stall converter.

So yes, it will work, but if you are going to put a FI motor in it, you may as well put a 4L80E in it which will last you much longer as they are pretty bullet proof. Painless wiring should sell the wiring and computers to make both the engine and trans work.

Swap in a Big Block Buick 455 with a 200R4 trans. The BBB is only about 50# heavier than a SBC . It'll fly and you won't have all the electronics to deal with.

That 200-4R will not handle a lot of power with out heavy modification. If you want a manual, buy a Tremec.

That 200-4R will not handle a lot of power with out heavy modification. If you want a manual, buy a Tremec.

Yes, but when they're done right they are nice! I love a stick, but most of our crusin' is in the city and I hate pushing on a clutch all the time. My fused ankle complains alot when I do.

You want a Cuda ? I know where there's a '64 convertible that's up for grabs. Last time I asked about it (4 yrs ago) he wanted 11,000 Needs some resto but overall not to bad.

No, I said a 'Cuda. That's a Barracuda. 70-74 for me. I have had several, but I did have a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe, which is still an "E" body.

Here is a pic...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Cars/Cuda.jpg

What do you all think of a TH400 for his application? Works just fine with the 350 small block in my '70 Chevelle.

TH400 is the non-electronic predecessor of the 4L80E and would be a suitable choice from a strictly "mechanically capable" standpoint.

That's why I've been exploring the use of a 200R4. With my 355 rear gear it sings going down the highway. :doh:

Sorry to correct, but it is a 200-4R. I can't see it holding up to the torque you are putting out. I built one for a Grand National that was putting out 700 HP, and he goes through them about every year and a half. Thats with all the high performance drive train. That 3.8 is not putting out anywhere near the torque you are.

In my various readings just in the last week or so, I read that a turbo 350 can be made almost as durable as a th400 by the insertion of a thrust washer . At least thats what I recall, I was quite surprised to read of it. I think I was reading about this on wikipedia, and took off on a link from the gm transmission site on there. Dont be too sure of it, but you could sure ask around for confirmation.

My 2 cents;

700-R4 = TH350 with overdrive

4L60E = 700-R4 with electronic shift

4L80E = TH400 with overdrive and electronic shift

There is a lot of power lost through a TH400/4L80E.

Most small blocks do not make enough power to need a TH400/4L80E.

Your stock transmission is probably a well worn 700-R4. Unless you are drag racing every weekend, a rebuilt 700-R4 will support a more powerful small block engine. I recommend a re-manufactured 700-R4 from someone like Summit Racing. It will have a little extra 'beef'. The 4L60E will require adding a shift computer kit and the cost goes up by $500-$1000.

:detective:

My 2 cents;

700-R4 = TH350 with overdrive

4L60E = 700-R4 with electronic shift

4L80E = TH400 with overdrive and electronic shift

There is a lot of power lost through a TH400/4L80E.

Most small blocks do not make enough power to need a TH400/4L80E.

Your stock transmission is probably a well worn 700-R4. Unless you are drag racing every weekend, a rebuilt 700-R4 will support a more powerful small block engine. I recommend a re-manufactured 700-R4 from someone like Summit Racing. It will have a little extra 'beef'. The 4L60E will require adding a shift computer kit and the cost goes up by $500-$1000.

:detective:

Garyz is pretty much spot on. However, there is a difference in kits for the 700. You will want to go with corvette kit which will give you a stiffer spring and1 extra clutchin each drum. The other clutches will be thinner because of this, but it is the total area of clutch material that matters and not the thickness.

There are several shift kits available, the cheap transgo is cheap for a reason, not worth the hassle. I will find the manufacturer of the better one for you tomorrow, but a good kit will defeat the lag you get on the 1-2 shift. Unfortunately, the corvette kit does not solve this.

You can have your unit built much cheaper than a Jegs. If you decide to go that route, give me a call and I can point you to a friend in your area.