Tire Pressure

Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual. However Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation.

Recommended Minimum Tire Pressures (PSI)

Touring/CruiserAlpha ME880 (MH, MT, MU tires)Solo2 Up Light2 Up Heavy Front 36 40 40 Rear 38 40 40

ME880 Solo2 Up Light 2 Up Heavy Front 38-40 40-42 40-42 Rea r44-46 46-48 48-50

For bikes with the following rear tire sizes: 170/80-15, **180/70-15,** 150/80-16, 160/80-16, 180/60R16, 180/70R16, 200/60R16, 240/50R16, 140/80-17, 160/70-17 D spec, 170/60R17, 210/50R17, 150/70-18, 180/55ZR18, 200/50R18, 210/40R18, 260/40R18, 280/35R18, 300/35R18, 260/35R21.

ME880 (tires as listed above)Solo2 Up Light2 Up HeavyRear404242

I run a 180/70/15 as my rear tire.

the spec's say 46-48 lbs, is that right?

They are the second worse tire for the Venture...we all know which is first, right?

Why don't you enlighten us? lol... Shame that the Metzlers suck on the Venture, the ME880's are absolutely brilliant on VStars and such bikes..

I'm on my second set of E3 on the bike and these are awesome..

Not sure what terrain you Metzler haters are riding on, but I am thrilled with the performance and wear on my 880's. Just changed out after getting over 21K miles on my last set. I ride solo most of the time, but even with the wife on the back, I run at 40 front and 42 rear with no problems whatsoever on my '99 RSV. The only other tire that even comes close to this kind of performance is the Dunlop 404. Personally, I think you guys who swear by the Avon's are nuts. But to each his own, I guess.

Just sayin...:whistling:

Not sure what terrain you Metzler haters are riding on, but I am thrilled with the performance and wear on my 880's. Just changed out after getting over 21K miles on my last set. I ride solo most of the time, but even with the wife on the back, I run at 40 front and 42 rear with no problems whatsoever on my '99 RSV. The only other tire that even comes close to this kind of performance is the Dunlop 404. Personally, I think you guys who swear by the Avon's are nuts. But to each his own, I guess.

You obviously never had 2 sets of Metzeler tires delaminate on you. And then have their customer service? dept blame you for abusing the tires. Also, according to Metz, your running underinflated too. Avons have proven, at least to me, to be one of the best I have had on this bike. Now I will say this: the 880's are a great handling wet/dry tire and I did love them, right up to the point of losing chunks of rubber from 2 different rear tires. And its not just me. Plenty others here have had that same experience. All I can say is to keep a close eye on that rear tire. I had 3 sets and lost rubber from 2 of them, so beware.

:smile5::smile5::smile5:

I just replaced my tires yesterday. I had a chuck of tread come off the center of the rear tire whcih by the way was a Metz.

I went with the Dunlop E III. I believe and hope they will perform better.

What pressure was in the rear tire and suspension?

I keep 42 in my rear tire and 35 in the rear shock. I had just had the bike into the dealer for the 26,000 mile service and they noted the rear tire had about 2500 or 3000 miles left. I doubt now whether they did any more that glance at the tread.

Tire Pressure

Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual.

IF and only if you are running the stock tires...in the exact size and brand that came on the bike.

Not wanting to split hairs here but you need to pay attention to the side wall of the tire for MAX inflations. Example Owners manual says rear stock tire on my 07 RSV Dunlop 404 should be inflated to 41 PSI. I installed a Dunlop E3 and the MAX sidewall pressure is 40 PSI...so If I do what the owners manual says...I would be running it over MAX Pressure although only by 1 PSI...Most guages are not accuarate enough to tell 1 PSI...but I use digital gauges to get as close as I can.

From all I have read here on this forum...I would not risk my life with a Metz tire. I have never owned one but not sure I would risk riding with one. With all that can happen when you ride...why would you risk a tire that is known to have problems?

In over 100000 miles on the Metzlers, I have had 0 problems. I run 34 front and 48 rear. I also run my suspension at 12 front and 70 rear.

I guess I am surprised your suspension still holds air.

2nd gen

Front fork Max pressure 50 KPA = 7.25 PSI

Rear shock MAX pressure 400 KPA =58.01 PSI

:confused07:

I am on Elite 3s and have about 26,000 kms (18,000 miles?) so far with plenty to go. I am surprised how well they are wearing. But I see some people on here that have reached 25,000 miles or more on them so I believe I have a ways to go still. I run 36-38 front and 40-42 on the rear. Mostly solo. I am really happy with the Elite 3s.

Motorcycle Superstore in Oregon had great prices, especially when on sale, with free shipping to USA. (unfortunately I am in Canada).

You obviously never had 2 sets of Metzeler tires delaminate on you. And then have their customer service? dept blame you for abusing the tires. Also, according to Metz, your running underinflated too. Avons have proven, at least to me, to be one of the best I have had on this bike. Now I will say this: the 880's are a great handling wet/dry tire and I did love them, right up to the point of losing chunks of rubber from 2 different rear tires. And its not just me. Plenty others here have had that same experience. All I can say is to keep a close eye on that rear tire. I had 3 sets and lost rubber from 2 of them, so beware.

:smile5::smile5::smile5:

Nope, never had that happen, and hope never to have the experience! And my pressure is exactly what the tire calls for and what I've been running forever on my old Metzlers that, oh by the way, got better wear than most any other tire out there on the RSV. But like I said, opinions are like a$$holes - - everybody's got one!

:Cartoon_397:

I said the same thing. I am not impressed with the Avon's. :think:

I have had Venoms on for 9000 miles (9 months) and performance wise they are the best tire I have ever used. The bike is always kept garaged, tire pressure checked faithfully, etc. but both tires now have the much talked about cracking/checkering on the sidewalls making them unsafe. This issue has been brought up to Avon for a long time but they can't seem to find a solution, so, Commanders are ordered and Avons are in the trash!

Our last set of tires were Michelin Commanders and we were very pleased with them. We presently have Dunlop Elite III’s on the bike and so far they compare very favorably to the Commanders. Miles and miles will tell the story and determine if we stay with the Elite’s or go back to the Commanders. :Venture:

I ran the back tire up to 46 Lbs. and the front at 40. the back tire is a MTzlr 880 180/70/15, which requires 44-48 lbs.. I split it and put in 46 lbs.

so we rode them through the rains on friday, and winds of up to 65 mph. the bike, held the road.

I had two of the normal 880 stock 150's, and they both shunked rubber off them.

I moved up to the 880- 180 (steel belted tire), I just bought a second one. I find it much better, while pulling a trailer.

shocks, front about 5 lbs

back about 35 lbs