IGNORED

I know; another post, but

what can be done to lessen or better yet, eliminate the clunky up shifting of these Ventures. I, however, shouldn't assume all lst editions have clunky shifts. My last 88 was fairly smooth. I have brand new fluid in the clutch master and completely bled out all the air; lots of handle. Brand new 20/50 Yamalube oil. I know that isn't the best but I didn't want to put $12 Amsoil or something equivalent right away. I intend to put a few hundred miles on this dino before changing to a better oil. But sure seems like this oil would be conducive to smooth shifting. Any advise would be highly appreciated.

With my new to me 88VR, I have been amazed at how smooth and quiet it shifts, up and down. Don't know if they are all like this, but mine shifts as smooth as any other motorcycle I have owned over the years. My problem sometimes is easily shifting into neutral.

In any event, Gunny, good to see you posting again. What you need is a good long trip to break it in. Head this way for a "break-in" ride. Then back home. It'll purr like a kitten.

Just needs to be ridden'.

Hey Herb,

I think Marcarl might be on to something there. When I went to Freebird's MD I adjusted my shifter pedal for a pair of BIG heavy steel toed shoes I planned on wearing for this long trip. When I got back home and tried to ride with my light weight hikers, I kept missing gears and noticed I was having to lift my entire foot off the peg to shift properly or the tranny would clunk. When I lowered the pedal, the shifts were much chrisper and I stopped missing gears.

Just a thought.:think:

Earl