My ignition switch will not turn to the lock position when I try to lock the steering. I know all about pushing down and releasing the key before turning to the lock position as well as having the wheel turned all the way left or right. I am wanting to remove the switch to find out why it is not locking. How do I get at the bolts or screws that hold the switch in? :confused07: Any help is greatly appreciated.

:canada:

Its not easy I was able to do it with a stubby philips stuck up behind the switch (there are 2 screws) but its a massive pain. Its much easier though takes a long time I took the side fairing s off and the windshield and dash access much easier then.

As Jimbob said it's a PAIN. I forget exactly, but putting it back on was even worse. I seem to remember hex head screws rather than phillips on mine. I might have gone up from the bottom. Or, I think I had the top triple clamp off (but all wire harnesses still connected) which allows some different angles; removal of that part is easy.

Jeremy

You can access the plugs for the switch through the headlight. Once it's disconnected, you don't have to disconnect the battery ground. From what I remember, it's fairly easy to remove the switch, once you take the cruise panel off, and remove the big nuts that hold the handle bars to the top triple tree.

No need to remove the fairing. I found out the hard way when I had to remove mine after the Accessory wire broke loose, and I had to re-solder to the switch.

Getting mine to lock is a bit finicky, but it works OK, once it's hard locked one way or the other.

Thanks for all the feedback! I used two 10" extensions on a 3/8 ratchet from underneath to reach the hex head bolts. I found out it was the switch that wouldn't turn to lock. I had to completely disassemble the switch to fix the problem. The switch wasn't even too difficult to reinstall. The steering locks effortlessly now.

:happy65: :canada:

Thanks for all the feedback! I used two 10" extensions on a 3/8 ratchet from underneath to reach the hex head bolts. I found out it was the switch that wouldn't turn to lock. I had to completely disassemble the switch to fix the problem. The switch wasn't even too difficult to reinstall. The steering locks effortlessly now.

i was going to tell you that, but you figured it out all by your lonesome.... i used a couple of 10"x1/4" extensions.....:)