IGNORED

I just have to share this

Eddie Fulmer

I"ll be leaving on the 30th of this month for a 4,300 mile ride. I'm in Tuscaloosa Alabama. Me and a friend of mine are going to South Dakota to meet up with 2 more fellows. We are then riding out to Rushmore, Custer St park, Devils tower, then on over to Yellowstone for the Grand Canton, Paintspots, Old Faithful, Teton Pk and some more neat places. I can't wait to leave. We'll be gone for 8 days!! I'll let you know how it goes along with some pics when we get back.

:photographing:

Guess I can add to my states visited map some then huh.

Just remember to ride Montana 212 (the Beartooth Highway - Red Lodge to Cooke City). You might also want to check out Wyoming 296 (the Chief Joseph Highway) into, or out of Cody. Yellowstone's cool, but I'd skip it for the Beartooth any day.

That is not a lot of miles, until you throw in a couple hours of touristy things like stopping and looking. It is still daylight for 12 hours or more so it only averages 45mph

Speaking for myself, taking into consideration rest & points of interest stops, gas/food stops, traffic and city/town speed limits and so on, it generally took us 10 - 12 hours to travel 350 miles on our SLO trip so 500+ miles a day to me is quite aggressive unless I was just gum-booting it along some interstate freeway for all of it.

Our most aggressive day was from Susanville, CA to Biggs, OR. That was appx 440 miles. The roads were great and very little traffic ... with various stops, it still took us from 7AM to about 7PM ... 12 hours on the road. We were almost always riding between 65-75mph.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to do that every day of my trip!

You'll have the time of your life. I know, because Brenda and I just made that loop (plus a coast to coast and the Blue Ridge parkway - 8,000 miles). With early starts and good rest stops, you won't have any trouble making the mileage. It will also take several months to get the smile off of your face!

Lynn

Oh yeah. For those who are also reading this thread, it was Eddie who first led me to this site. Blame him for my presence;)

Don't forget to print the Venturerider Assistance/member list to take along. Hope you don't need assistance, but ya never know when you will need to call one of us.

Have a great trip and keep us posted of your progress. Members have been known to join up with travelers for portions of the trip!

Maybe a quick last minute meet n eat or Dairy Queen.

Eddie:

I just completed a 3 weeker/7000 miler with my daughter on my 83.. Part of that ride included Sturgis/BLack Hills area.. Dont miss 16A,Needles Highway and Custer State Park on the way around from seeing Rushmore.. Also a must do is Spearfish Canyon via Deadwood on the way to the Tower. We slept under the stars the whole trip (only was to travel) and found this year to be one of the wettest for afternoon mountain travel - mornings until about 1 pm riding was PERFECT!! By the way,, after THOUSANDS of miles of bike travel and spotting animals the whole time I/we finally got to see Big Horn Sheep in the wild this year (and they werent even in a National Park....) - IN SOUTH DAKOTA of all places!!

Take a cheap digital with 5 gig of mem - then when youdrop the camera you can always go back and salvage the mem stick (thats if you take while riding....)..

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!

Puc

No one has mentioned this yet, so for whatever it's worth ... The upper Western states can be surprisingly unpredictible for the next couple of months. Be prepared for extreme weather - meaning hot, cold, rain, and yep - the "S" word. Right now, the weather here in the Salt Lake City area is awesome. But, when we head out on our trip to the Black Hills on Sept. 8th, you can bet that we will carry our cold weather gear with us.

Be Prepared & Be Safe!

Pete.