IGNORED

True Trike or Voyager Trike

alwrmcusn

It's getting much closer to when I plan to trike my '09 RSV.

I first considered the "4 wheel" route, then decided on the Hannigan trike. But I'm seeing a lot of bikes with the Voyager style kit. Talking with a couple of owners of both styles I'm again thinking of the Voyager kit. Much less expensive and removable. I would only remove it if needed however.

I hate to keep flip flopping on this, but either way is expensive and I'm just concerned that the Hannigan (roughly $16K set up the way I want it) would be overkill. The Voyager riders I've talked with have both really liked their kits and their wives did also. But so did the Hannigan rider that I talked with. I even went up and looked at the HD Trike (sorry) and also test rode a Can-Am Spyder. I really like the Spyder except for the driver foot position. Before I commit to something this costly I REALLY REALLY want to ensure that I have all my ducks in a row!

I had the voyager kit on my 99, made me want to go to a full trike. The kit is a good way to start out. Look for a used kit. Most are selling for around $2000.00. But make sure it will fit your bike.The belly plate and attaching kit will cost you another $500.00 or more. They are fairly easy to remove but not so easy to reinstall. After doing a couple of times it gets easier. But still a pain. The ride is close to a true trike but not as stable. Also if you go with the kit ,look at triggs trikes They seem to make the best kit out there.

Each type has it's own advantages/disadvantages both in costs and handling. Unless you've had a chance to test ride both kinds of set ups then it probably comes down to what you're willing to spend.

I don't have the Hannigan conversion on my bike but I have ridden the Hannigan trikes and wouldn't hesiate at all on choosing one. Extremely comfortable and great handling all due to suspension & a wide track stance.

One other possible route would be to add a side car rig. Costs of those would be in line with the Voyager types. One advantage of the side car and Voyager rigs is that the bike can be converted back to two wheels again while once you trike one it's pretty much a done deal. Personal opinion I will say that after triking my bike I wouldn't go back to two wheels as I really love the added safety and stability of the 3 wheels.

Good luck to you on whatever route you take on adding extra wheels

Larry

We just picked up an 08 RSV Hannigan and we both love the way it rides and handles. I have not ridden one with a Voyager kit so I can't give you an objective comparison between the two. I can say you won't be disappointed if you do choose a Hannigan. Be sure to add an easy steer kit and Aux. fuel tank if you do.

With a Voyager you won't get the added storage area, i'd say it's like adding at least a 3rd hardbag of capacity.

Went through same senirio and decided to go with Hannigan myself and GLAD I did.

This will only drive you CRAZY for about a month or so :D

This is a hard chioce to make do to the cost factor.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis

Whenever I see those Voyager kitted 'bikes' going around a curve I look at the outward leaning contraption and ask myself, "how can someone be happy with THAT?"....but I guess some people are.

Dont get me wrong, if you have some situation that means you need the stability of a multitrack vehicle, if you recently had an accident and cant ride 2 wheels for months or years, or you have a long winter of either storage or voyager, then I'm all for it.

If you plan to definitely return the bike to to 2 wheel operation in the future, then the Voyager is the way to go. The Voyager is a temporary conversion. (And should be) Nothing more.

But if you are simply deciding that 2 wheels are in your past, not your future, that you really WANT a trike for the handling, stability, looks, touring ability, luggage capacity, or whatever, then by all means, spend the cash and get what you really want.

When it comes to safety, handling, ride, looks, comfort, stability, cargo capacity, trailer pulliing, and other considerations, you cant do any better than a well set-up trike. Period.

Hannigan, Lehman, MotorTrike, all the biggies in the industry, make good quality trikes.

I normally dont try to spend others peoples money, but in this case, I'm thinking some indecision now may lead to dissatisfaction later.

Good luck.

IMHO it really comes down to price, and depending on your age, how much longer you plan on riding. Since the Voyager is removable your bike will be more marketable down the road. With a Hanigan you're stuck with the trike and will have to deal with a higher asking price and smaller market. If stability is the reason for triking, I'd go with the Voyager. If you want to look good, and can afford it, go with the Hannigan....

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. Hannah (wife) is more in favor of the Hannigan and frankly so am I. The Venture has tipped on us twice and it worries her (and me). My left knee sometimes takes a few seconds to go into support mode when I have been sitting for a while. The side car route is not for me and I have looked at the Ghost Wheels but I've eliminated them also. We'll be talking with Hannigan in the next few months and getting our $$ in a row for whichever way we go. But I believe it's gonna be Hannigan. :)

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. Hannah (wife) is more in favor of the Hannigan and frankly so am I. The Venture has tipped on us twice and it worries her (and me). My left knee sometimes takes a few seconds to go into support mode when I have been sitting for a while. The side car route is not for me and I have looked at the Ghost Wheels but I've eliminated them also. We'll be talking with Hannigan in the next few months and getting our $$ in a row for whichever way we go. But I believe it's gonna be Hannigan. :)

I'm sure you won't be sorry for this decision. Got any questions just ask and the triker folks here will be happy to lend what they know.

Looking forward to seeing you on it sometime next riding season.:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

• 2 months later...
I've never ridden a trike - but would like to try one.

I looked at a Voyager conversion kit for two years prior to buying (a second-hand) one.

I'M LOVIN' IT!

I also bought a used Voyager Conversion Kit and am very happy with it. I have put about 2500 miles on it so far.

JohnB

Hannigan's recently had an RSV Trike IN STOCK....Might be able to work a deal with 'em... Just sayin'...