IGNORED

First oil change in my new '99 RSV...

YamahaLarry

Made my first oil change in the RSV yesterday. Rode it for right at 1k miles before changing the oil. There seemed to be so much information on here about what oil to use, filter, etc.

Heckuva lot easier changing oil in this machine vs a VStar. Being the first oil change, checked the old oil for any shiny glitter, and all seemed really clean at 26.5k miles.

Anyhow, decided to use the Rotella T6, Motorkote and went with the Mobile 1 filter.

Ended up putting a total of 3 qts + another 9 ozs to get level up to the upper portion of the site glass. Motorkote says 2 ozs per qt of oil. I added a little extra and went with 8 ozs.

My bike does not have a bad whine, IMO, but does whine some. Maybe this will make it even less whiny. Guess I need to put some miles on it to see if it works as some claim.

Did you check oil level with the bike off the side stand and in upright position? Oil level should not be over half way sight glass or it will blow it out the crankcase breather tube after a spirited run.

Did you check oil level with the bike off the side stand and in upright position? Oil level should not be over half way sight glass or it will blow it out the crankcase breather tube after a spirited run.

Yes. I filled it back to the level it was by the PO. About 3/4 up the sight glass.

Next oil change try the Purolator 1 oil filter. IMHO it's the best oil filter out there and really does a super job of keeping your oil clean. I buy mine via Amazon.com and normally buy 3-4 at a time.

Secondly...I have never gone by the sight glass level on my RSV. I fill the new oil filter 1/2 full with fresh oil; let it sit upright enough time to have a cold beer then install. I put 3 quarts of oil into the crankcase then use a measuring cup for the remaining 1/2 quart. When everything is done fire the beast up and check for any possible leaks around the oil filter or oil drain plug.

I go 5K on oil changes and it always surprises me how clean the oil is thanks to that Purolator oil filter.

Boomer....who sez he has never experienced oil blow-over and my scoot has over 70K on her.:cool10:

PS: While yer doing de oil change it never hurts to give dat kickstand switch a few good shots of PB Blaster to clean off de road crud and lube it up as well.

Next oil change try the Purolator 1 oil filter. IMHO it's the best oil filter out there and really does a super job of keeping your oil clean. I buy mine via Amazon.com and normally buy 3-4 at a time.

Secondly...I have never gone by the sight glass level on my RSV. I fill the new oil filter 1/2 full with fresh oil; let it sit upright enough time to have a cold beer then install. I put 3 quarts of oil into the crankcase then use a measuring cup for the remaining 1/2 quart. When everything is done fire the beast up and check for any possible leaks around the oil filter or oil drain plug.

I go 5K on oil changes and it always surprises me how clean the oil is thanks to that Purolator oil filter.

Boomer....who sez he has never experienced oil blow-over and my scoot has over 70K on her.:cool10:

PS: While yer doing de oil change it never hurts to give dat kickstand switch a few good shots of PB Blaster to clean off de road crud and lube it up as well.

Thanks for the tips Boomer. When I went to Autozone to buy a filter, I took the list that was on another post here. I could only find 2 on the shelf that was a match and went with the more expensive one. I am a little concerned about the relief valve requirements.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just in the process of looking for a different oil filter and thought I'd cruise the threads. nobody mentions exact item # for filters? when I do a google cross reference I come up with 5 different Purolator # 2 Fram and 2 Bosch. Whats a guy to do.

I have a 2003 RSV.

Hi guys, just in the process of looking for a different oil filter and thought I'd cruise the threads. nobody mentions exact item # for filters? when I do a google cross reference I come up with 5 different Purolator # 2 Fram and 2 Bosch. Whats a guy to do.

I have a 2003 RSV.

Try this thread from the tech library.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1849

Thanks Freebird, I really am enjoying Venture rider, just installed leveling links because of this forum and everyone is so kind, you would think they are all canadian hahahaha.

Some times it is hard to track down the information from past threads because the search is only as good as your input. So, having the guy with experience to just put it out there for you is great.