IGNORED

how "fast" are these bikes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, I believe he was referring to 10000 rpm in 2nd is 103mph. :322:

I know what he was saying Doug but I've heard so much CRAP about these things can't do 110 mph in 3rd gear!! BULL!! Climb on and find out but bring your balls with you!!! And while I'm at it 120 mph in 3rd!! At 7500 to 8500 rpms. I saw 120 when I shifted to 4th. Ran out of numbers that time not long after hitting 5th.

I will be the 1st to admit that I don't ride as I did before I got busted up but hard riding had nothing to do with it. I do know what these things will do. And have one in the stable now that will shock some folks.......:whistling:

I see. So, will these hit the red line in 5th? I'll bet they sound sweet just before the rev limiter kicks in.

I would doubt it. I don't think there is enough horsepower to red line 5th.

4th may actually top out higher than 5th.

I also do not know of anyone that has what it takes too find out. My limit is 100MPH that is quick enough that I will be waiting at the next DQ for the Harleys and 2nd gens to catch up.:stirthepot::stickpoke:

On a trip a couple of years ago there was a group of 6 Harleys in the left lane of the interstate I had the cruise set a little faster than they were going so I moved over to the center lane to pass them. They aparently too offence to being passed and I could hear their pipes get louder. they pulled up by and were giving me looks that I did not like so I sped up, their pipes got louder again. Not want to play games I made sure to keep them well behind me. one of them must have had his engine well built because he was able ti punch it and catch up to me again. at that point I decided I had enough of them so at 85 MPH I dropped to 3rd, making sure he knew I down shifted twice, looked at him, smiled, and then hit it and put that last rider with the big engine, in the all gone machine. I think what added to the insult was that I was pulling a ~350 lb trailer, and they still could not catch a 26 year old bike.

Edited by Flyinfool

Hey DeeGee,

Welcome to the forum! It's usually NOT the going fast part that gets a Venture Rider in trouble, it's the STOPPING part that usually causes the pain! I have copied a post I made a while back about going fast that pretty much sums up how I ride, and how I have ridden. Enjoy!

"SACK Factor!

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the First and Second Gen's are EXACTLY the same in every way, HP wise, weight wise, etc. There are riders on this forum that have NEVER hit the Rev Limiter on their bikes. (You know who you are!) These are the same group of riders that have never found their center stands either! In the UTUBE Vid, I never did hear or see the Second Gen. owner break traction at the green light, and I would hardly call his take off a "Hole Shot". I have personally spooled two speedo's out of the dash on my 87'VR, but I have also been spanked in the twisties by a bone stock 83'VR. I have never ridden the "tail of the dragon", but I have ridden the 6 hours to Don's Maint. Day in 3 hours and 10 minutes, after working a 12 hour shift, at night! The point I am trying to make is, it is all relative. For some reason, riding well over 100 MPH has no effect on me what so ever, BUT when I lean my bike over to the point that parts of my body, or parts of my bike start to scrape, well my friends, that's where I draw the line. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good twisty road as well as the next person, but I like going really fast, in a strait line much better. Go figure. The best 1/4 mile time I have ever ran on my 87' VR was an 11.86, and 114 MPH. This was without NOS. I tried a 50 shot of NOS in 5th gear the same weekend, and the rear wheel broke traction so badly just under 100MPH that I almost lost control of the bike. I also tried a 50 shot of NOS in 4th gear, and the tranny locked up so tight from the power that I was not able to shift into 5th gear. My best top speed on my 87'VR was 146 MPH over 3 miles with a 100 shot of NOS in 5th gear, (GPS measured, speedo exploded around 137MPH) I can honestly say that I won't be doing that again. Now, my 87'VR has been slightly modified, and being a full on adrenalin junkie doesn't help either. If you have never smoked off your rear tire from a standing start, or shifted thru two gears with the front wheel off the ground, then at 50 plus years of age, (average VR.ORG member age) it would be BEST not to try it now. These days, I much prefer riding to the Ice Cream Stand, than running 50 over the speed limit. My suggestion is to find people that like to ride the same way you do, and ride often with them.

BUT I will say this, for a night's room and board in the lovely state of North Carolina, I will be more than happy to come down there and let you look at the really cool LED lighting I have, ON THE BACK OF MY BIKE!

Ride safely folks, you can buy many bikes, but you only have one life."

I posted this to a Second Gen. member that felt that there was "No Way" a 30 year old First Gen. could outrun a "Modern" Second Gen. I think that you get the point that it is as much the rider as it is the machine, in my opinion.

Earl

HERE IT IS DINGY!! JUMP ALL OVER HIM AND TELL HIM IT AIN"T POSSIBLE!!! YOU KNOW THERE IOS NO WAY THEY COULD DO 110 IN 3rd GEAR!!! QUICK GET HIM DON"T LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT STUFF!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I GOT YOUR BACK TODD!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: While we are there it is about 120+ mph when it redlines according to the speedo in third. Now when it hits the Rev Limiter in 3rd I got no Idea!! Wasn't stupid enough to be looking!!!!

I am not going to encourage anyone speeding on a Venture by giving any credence that a Venture would possibly do 120mph in 3rd gear. Bald face lie.

A venture with stock heads on it will not do 10K rpm. I've tried. It takes some secret modifications for that. Tweety will do 10K though.

Gary

Aren't you glad you asked, Dee Gee?!!?

Lol! All this talk has got me pumped. My bike ran like poop first time I took it out. Wasn't impressed. Could be because I own a cr500 and after riding that everything feels like a moped.

I've since put new plugs and wires and just ran the sea foam thru it last night. I'll be taking it out tonight for a sea foam beating. See how she performs.

Skid is right!! Diaphragms are probally the biggest cause of Get up and go being gone when they start getting old. Check them in dark room with good light. Any light at all is power you are loosing. Several ways to patch them but for Max performance it will take new ones.

Skid is right!! Diaphragms are probally the biggest cause of Get up and go being gone when they start getting old. Check them in dark room with good light. Any light at all is power you are loosing. Several ways to patch them but for Max performance it will take new ones.

Yeah I'm gonna check them tonight. I took it for a ride last night. Runs good nice and responsive but I don't think it's all there. I'll know for sure when I line it up with my 750

You could ask Swifty or me about that! :whistling:

When I first got my 86 I worried because I kept blowing past that 7500 red-line. I asked a mechanic buddy if he could put a rev limiter on it. He said "It has one." and showed me it hits at 10,000 (just like the VMax)! I was racing an HD one time and hit the limiter in 1st, hit the limiter in 2nd and when I shifted to 3rd I was doing one hundred and three!

Oh yeah, and the Harley was just a speck in my mirror.

To which year VMax are you referring?:confused24:

My 1998 Vmax has no rev limiter.

Yeah I'm gonna check them tonight. I took it for a ride last night. Runs good nice and responsive but I don't think it's all there. I'll know for sure when I line it up with my 750

My 750 Maxium will bust my Venture Stoplight to stoplight. Beyond that its no contest the Venture just keeps getting stronger.

:crying:

OK, I think a lot of you are writing down BS or you're running special configs.

I tried (of course on a closed track where no laws were broken) and I can barely break 7000 rpm in third at an indicated speed of 90mph, probably actual of 80mph. This is on my 1993 with only 30000 miles on the clock and new diaprahms. I can get it to about 70 in second but haven't tried for max in that gear.

It's also pretty slow to crank that many rpms, my VN2K rips through gears much faster and easy to hit the 5200rpm limiter without really trying. On it, you shift, throttle, shift, repeat in rapid succession. The VR takes much longer to max out in gears.

What gives? I want a fast VR too, if one is possible for a reasonable amount of tweeking.

:confused07:

:crying:

OK, I think a lot of you are writing down BS or you're running special configs.

I tried (of course on a closed track where no laws were broken) and I can barely break 7000 rpm in third at an indicated speed of 90mph, probably actual of 80mph. This is on my 1993 with only 30000 miles on the clock and new diaprahms. I can get it to about 70 in second but haven't tried for max in that gear.

It's also pretty slow to crank that many rpms, my VN2K rips through gears much faster and easy to hit the 5200rpm limiter without really trying. On it, you shift, throttle, shift, repeat in rapid succession. The VR takes much longer to max out in gears.

What gives? I want a fast VR too, if one is possible for a reasonable amount of tweeking.

:confused07:

Agreed. I took mine out last night shifting at 8500-9000. It's quick but I don't think sportster 1200 quick.

Syscrusher, I don't know how "fast" my VR is, I just know how "quick" it is. As I get closer to the half century mark in age I've become much more timid, or maybe it's wiser. The only mods I have are the Vmax final drive, coil over plug ignition and Road King mufflers. The first mod being the only one that should truly make any difference in performance.

My Son is about 50 lbs. heavier than me and can hang right with me on his CB1100 up to about 70 mph then I start pulling away.

You aren't that far away, maybe someday we can meet up. I have a Carbtune if you haven't synched your carbs yet. Or maybe you can line up that burley 2L twin against the VR and do a real life test:thumbsup2: