IGNORED

Front brake light switch

My front brake handle - mastery cyl isn't generating my brake light. I have looked on bikebandit parts diagrams to purchase the new switch and lo and behold I picked the wrong part. Diode? Anyways, was wondering if anyone had the right part number for this bad boy before I throw anymore money away!

My front brake handle - mastery cyl isn't generating my brake light. I have looked on bikebandit parts diagrams to purchase the new switch and lo and behold I picked the wrong part. Diode? Anyways, was wondering if anyone had the right part number for this bad boy before I throw anymore money away!

You need to state what year as they are different from 83 through 85 to 86 on.

Dick

• 2 years later...

They are a sealed unit, can't be disassembled. I should have a spare someplace you can have. If it is a Royale then you have cruise so you need the 4 wire one.

You could try soaking the switch in rubbing alcohol and work it while submersed, it may help itthe switch...

They are a sealed unit, can't be disassembled. I should have a spare someplace you can have. If it is a Royale then you have cruise so you need the 4 wire one.

You could try soaking the switch in rubbing alcohol and work it while submersed, it may help itthe switch...

Not correct grasshopper, pebble is still in my hand.

Here is a link to disassembling the brake & clutch switches on a bike with cruise.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42720

Next link is for a bike without cruise.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43024

Gary

Thanks Guys, really appreciate the link...Thanks To Mr. Jerry for the help and part also...am checking link for switch, and going to put part on tomorrow if I don't have to go to work!! Thanks again!!:bighug:

Just got neutral switch plate swapped out with new o'ring. cleaned the area really good with brake parts cleaner....still cleaning gasket material off of outer cover. Should have it back together and road tested tomorrow...still have to try the dissassembly and cleaning on brake light switch..! I seem to be having a rash of switch issues. First my bike then my truck....will it ever stop?!?!? LOL Thanks for all the help.

Did some riding today, but before I did, I swapped out the small plastic pieces from the clutch and front brake switches, they are the same on my bike for some odd reason...supposed to be 1984 Venture Royale, but insurance card says 1983....hmmm...any VIN code ninjas out there...? But not sure what PO did to bike either...but it worked!! Brake switch had melted and the spring contact was set in plastic and unmovable without destroying the plastic slider. So checked clutch switch on the off chance it would be compatible, and low and behold, it even had four contacts....so just swapped them out...and cleaned flat contact areas for brake switch...worked perfect from Sweeny to Angleton to Cleveland to Beaumont to Kemah then back home...Yay me!! LOL Have a Great day....still have a bit of an oil leak still though...think it might be oil level sender...will clean and evaluate soon!

Edited by dreamerjoe
new info!!

• 3 months later...
Thanks Guys, really appreciate the link...Thanks To Mr. Jerry for the help and part also...am checking link for switch, and going to put part on tomorrow if I don't have to go to work!! Thanks again!!:bighug:

Just got neutral switch plate swapped out with new o'ring. cleaned the area really good with brake parts cleaner....still cleaning gasket material off of outer cover. Should have it back together and road tested tomorrow...still have to try the dissassembly and cleaning on brake light switch..! I seem to be having a rash of switch issues. First my bike then my truck....will it ever stop?!?!? LOL Thanks for all the help.

Did some riding today, but before I did, I swapped out the small plastic pieces from the clutch and front brake switches, they are the same on my bike for some odd reason...supposed to be 1984 Venture Royale, but insurance card says 1983....hmmm...any VIN code ninjas out there...? But not sure what PO did to bike either...but it worked!! Brake switch had melted and the spring contact was set in plastic and unmovable without destroying the plastic slider. So checked clutch switch on the off chance it would be compatible, and low and behold, it even had four contacts....so just swapped them out...and cleaned flat contact areas for brake switch...worked perfect from Sweeny to Angleton to Cleveland to Beaumont to Kemah then back home...Yay me!! LOL Have a Great day....still have a bit of an oil leak still though...think it might be oil level sender...will clean and evaluate soon!

Just curious if the plunger should slide "freely" once it is assembled back in the housing, or is it more "snug." I am in the process of cleaning mine, but when I put the plunger back in with the contacts, it doesn't seem to have much freeplay, which is why I think the brake light is intermittent when I use the front lever. Thanks......

Ken

• 9 years later...

Are the brake lights staying on or not working at all. If they are staying on check the amount of sloppiness in the lever pivot. I drilled and re-bushed mine. If they are not coming on check the switch and make sure its clean and not sticking in. The switch is pretty basic and there really is not much that can go wrong with them short of sticking or getting dirty. Also check it for proper adjustment.