IGNORED

replacement fairing mirrors

anyone replace the fairing mirrors with aftermarket handlebar mounted mirrors? the rh mirror has been broken off and seems to be difficult to locate one used or new (not that I tried real hard) and thought that maybe it would be a benefit to have some a/f mirrors instead.

The master cylinders are taped for 10mm mirrors, one right hand one left hand thread.

How in the he]] did I never notice that? :doh: One thing that has room for improvement on mine is mirrors. I'd like them up and out a bit.

When I broke my left mirror, I temporarily "borrowed" the mirrors off my 650 Maxim and put them on the handlebar locations. They worked ok, but I also have different handlebars on mine that bring the grips (and mirrors) closer to me. I was always bumping into my mirrors whenever I tried pushing it or climbing on it. I don't know how it would be for stock handlebars.

FF is correct, you need 10mm standard for left mirror and 10mm LH thread for right mirror, if you buy aftermarket mirrors you can get the threaded inserts for them for under $10, I got a set of them from Cycle Gear, they have a store in Brookfield, WI.

I scored a set of fairing mirrors last year on a parts bike that I got for cheap, only had a few scratches. I prefer the fairing mounted mirrors, so I switched back from handlebar mounted to fairing mounted.

Also, I remember someone making a block that screwed in place of the fairing mirror mounts, and was tapped for mounting mirrors. Don't remember who, but that allowed the use of aftermarket mirrors yet kept them on the fairing instead of the handlebars.

-Andrew

Edited by icebrrg3rd

How in the he]] did I never notice that? :doh: One thing that has room for improvement on mine is mirrors. I'd like them up and out a bit.

From the factory the one on right has a plastic plug in it. I think the left does too, except a Royale will have a bolt holding down the bracket for the audio control. A mirror stalk should replace the bolt just fine, its lock nut will hold the bracket in place.

FF is correct, you need 10mm standard for left mirror and 10mm LH thread for right mirror, if you buy aftermarket mirrors you can get the threaded inserts for them for under $10, I got a set of them from Cycle Gear, they have a store in Brookfield, WI.

Quite a few aftermarket mirrors available with the LH thread. Key is to make sure it specifies "for Yamaha".

anyone replace the fairing mirrors with aftermarket handlebar mounted mirrors? the rh mirror has been broken off and seems to be difficult to locate one used or new (not that I tried real hard) and thought that maybe it would be a benefit to have some a/f mirrors instead.

You could add GoldWing mirrors, molded in to the fairing, like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=83590&stc=1&d=1397773472

Kevin, those GW mirrors look awesome on the bike. Only I'd hate to see the aftermath when the bike gets on it's side.

-Andrew

I'll agree, Andrew. No give in those mounts!

Notice that the owner eliminated the stock turn signals. But those little winkers on the GW mirrors don't look very prominent. And I wonder if the blinkers are still running lights like the OEM Venture?

I found this bike in Turkey. Go here for some more shots of it. Click on the 'mega foto' tab for bigger pics.

http://motosikletevi.com/ilan/meraklisina_orjinal_yamaha_xvz_1300_v4-160475#.U1GLA1fdzAU

Your mirrors are still available as new from the dealers:

right mirror http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-26H-26290-01-00.html

left mirror http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-26H-26290-11-00.html