IGNORED

Exhaust

hairman

This is my first time posting on here. Exhaust question- is louder better or not? I have almost been ran out of the road before because of someone in a car not hearing or seeing my bike. I have noticed when riding in my truck that if a motorcycle with loud exhaust is beside of me then I can hear it before seeing it. If you change exhaust do you have to have the carb. rejetted? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hairman

It seems there is at least 100 different answers to this question.

Myself I like some noise, Part of the fun of a motorcycle for me is to be seen and heard!

I live in Colorado. I put on the BUB sleepers. I love the sound, I did NOT do anything to the carbs and the bike runs great, no back fire at all. I did close the air injection system. Some here don't think thats a good idea because of the polution issue, I personally don't think it makes enough difference to matter. Not everyone agrees.

Anyway, I think all about what you like. Loud or quiet! GIVE ME SOME NOISE!

Gene

Hairman, I've always thought that the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" deal is a bunch of horse-pucky. Sure it's loud as heck behind your bike but other than getting rear ended it's not going to do much for your safety.

Of course, I think the sound of the V-4 opened up with Barons Nasty boys sounds cool as heck. They are on my short list of add-ons for the bike.

This is my first time posting on here. Exhaust question- is louder better or not? I have almost been ran out of the road before because of someone in a car not hearing or seeing my bike. I have noticed when riding in my truck that if a motorcycle with loud exhaust is beside of me then I can hear it before seeing it. If you change exhaust do you have to have the carb. rejetted? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hairman

Whether louder is better is a matter of personal preference. I have drilled out Harley Road King mufflers on my 99 RSV and it took a little while to get used to them. Its not an obnoxious sound but rather a nice throaty sound. I personally dont like overly loud pipes. I feel exhausted (was that a pun?) after riding behind a bike, or several of them with loud pipes. It just wears me out sooner. If a driver has to listen to see a bike then I feel the driver was just not that observant in the first place, if you know what I mean. Add an air horn to the bike to "wake up" the drivers. I do realize the stock mufflers are kind of quiet though. Only you can make that decision. Im sure many others will chime in here soon. And no, in most cases you do not need to re-jet. :2cents:

Since I put the Baron's 4-2-4 Nasty Boys on my 06 RSV folks tell me they can hear me coming and going. If you truly enjoy your music on the scoot this set-up may not be for you.

For me the sound of that V-4 through these pipes is the only music I enjoy on the road.

Your personal preference may vary..........:080402gudl_prv:

OK let's see if I can piss both sides of the noise issue off. As a tuner you need to equalize the pressure in and out. Open pipes are good for HP WOT (wide open throttle) An engine set up this way runs like crap in normal driving, but is loud and fast at WOT. Stock pipes are quiet... too quiet IMHO. Other people on the road can hear you with a mild change of pipes some times. You can hear the rumble of a small block Chevy with headers and glass packs at the stop light. A RSV with Road King pipes is close but not as loud with out modified exhaust. If your pipes are loud enough for others to hear on the interstate you only get the attention of the guy next to or beside you. At the local intersection you are pissing off the neighborhood every time you start your bike with open pipes. I have Jarden Pipes on the Virago and keep it tuned so it does not need any throttle while warming up at 5 am. The Venture has unmodified RK pipes (for now) same start up and no one complains. I don't start my HD chopper early ever. My wife manages the mobile home park that we live in so I live in a fish bowl. "Loudest pipes piss people off, less loud pipes are better for drive ability and harmony". Flame away I can take it. Rod