IGNORED

HELP. rstd quit on me.

06 rstd. This happened today all of a sudden with no warning.

Coasting down my driveway coming in from my ride today, all of a sudden it seemed to start to lose power. engine started sputtering, kept feathering the throttle but it finally quit. Turning on the key I have power.

When I hit the start switch I get a bzzt. sound if that makes since but the engine does not turn over.

No warning signs of any kind before this happened.

I need help.

Check your battery connections as mentioned. If you have extra stuff wired into make sure your OEM battery cables are first in line on top of battery posts, then whatever is added on top of those.

At first I was thinking fuel pump. But if it wont turn over............ Let me know, I got an 07 RSV in the garage I'm troubleshooting a intermittent start problem. Sometimes it does, sometimes it dont.

I think he said it wouldnt even turn over, so I doubt its fuel. sounds to familiar to what I have going on in the garage.

Start with battery connections, power and ground. then your going to have to start to work your way thru the different switches etc in the system. Do you have a neutral light?

UPDATE.

Pulled the battery, got out the charger, hooked it up but it wouldn't hold a charge. I bought a gel battery at Advance. 310 cca

$102 after my $10 discount.

Put it in last night and bike cranks right up. Rainy weather is here in Spartanburg for the weekend so probably wont get to put on some miles till next week.

Hope this takes care of the problem.

Thanks for the advice and want to give a shoutout to Eck for his help.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

Went on first long ride since Installing battery. Stopped to fill up close to the house. Hit the start switch and all I got was buzzing. Done this 4-5 times then the bike started. Got home and same thing. Buzzing and would not start.

Put battery on charger for awhile and it fired right up.

Seems like during the course of riding; something is draining the battery.

Really need some help on this one.

My suspicions lead me to think there is more at work here than battery troubles. Possibly, but if its killing the battery you will probably need to start looking at voltage regulator and stator.

You need to do some voltage testing on the battery to prove/disprove thats the issue.

Yes it could be the battery was discharged, and charging helped...or it could be its a hit and miss issue elsewhere....voltage testing while it is doing the no start will pinpoint it..

Will check battery voltage when I get home What should the voltage be? Should the bike be running when checking?.

Can the regulator cause this? I dont even know what the regulator does or where it's at.

A fully charged battery thats been sitting for an hour or so should have about 12.6 V.

Then if the no start happens...retest battery voltage while pushing start button, see what it does.

As for charging system, with the bike slightly above idle speed you should have voltage in the 13.5-14.5 V range. The rectifier regulator, rectifies the AC current your stator produces and makes it DC current so the bike systems can use it, and recharge your battery which also produces DC current. The regulator part of the RR controls the bike voltage from getting too high or low. Stock location for RR is in front of oil filter.

Edited by Neil86

A fully charged battery thats been sitting for an hour or so should have about 12.6 V.

Then if the no start happens...retest battery voltage while pushing start button, see what it does.

As for charging system, with the bike slightly above idle speed you should have voltage in the 13.5-14.5 V range. The rectifier regulator, rectifies the AC current your stator produces and makes it DC current so the bike systems can use it, and recharge your battery which also produces DC current. The regulator part of the RR controls the bike voltage from getting too high or low. Stock location for RR is in front of oil filter.

Voltage with bike parked, 12.9

Voltage with bike at slightly above idle, 12.5

Any advice.

If when the bike is running and you rev it up to around 2'000 RPM you do get an increase in voltage at the battery to something close to 13.5 or so then you have either a bad regulator (not letting voltage from the stator get thru to the charging system) or you have a bad stator (not making any AC voltage for the regulator to regulate).

If you drop the regulator and disconnect the plug, with the bike running you can check for voltage between the circuits, if you have equal voltage ( something north of 16 volts) on all 3 possible combinations (1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 3) then the stator is ok.

The most likely candidate is the regulator, they are known for failing. You can pick up a used on off eBay for amour $35.00 .

Good luck

If when the bike is running and you rev it up to around 2'000 RPM you do get an increase in voltage at the battery to something close to 13.5 or so then you have either a bad regulator (not letting voltage from the stator get thru to the charging system) or you have a bad stator (not making any AC voltage for the regulator to regulate).

If you drop the regulator and disconnect the plug, with the bike running you can check for voltage between the circuits, if you have equal voltage ( something north of 16 volts) on all 3 possible combinations (1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 3) then the stator is ok.

The most likely candidate is the regulator, they are known for failing. You can pick up a used on off eBay for amour $35.00 .

Good luck

When I checked it with the bike idled up, the voltage was 12.5?

I was getting ready to test my R/R. Unbolted it from the frame and let it hang. Cranked bike and idled it up to check battery voltage before unplugging R/R to test. Voltage was 13.6 which I read was good.

Only ran bike for a couple mins, then shut off.

Unplugged R/R. Plug looked very good but the R/R was so hot I could barely hold it.

Is this normal for the R/R to be so hot with the bike only running a couple mins?

• 2 weeks later...

THE SAGA CONTINUES.

Took my 2 week old gel battery back to Advance. They load tested it and the battery was bad. Got my refund and went to NAPA and bought a NAPA legend premium gel battery.

Put it in and rode about 100 miles. Got home and wouldn't crank. @#&%%^&*^%$.

Bought a $32 rectifier on ebay and installed this evening.

At rest the battery is 13.0

Idling the battery is 13.6

Increasing rpm's and the voltage goes to 14.2

Rode about 30 miles, got home and the readings are about the same.

The R/R was a little smaller than stock but bolted right up.

You guys think I'm good now or is my excitement premature?