IGNORED

Rear tire & other stuff

First I would like to say that my small investment in support of this site has enhanced my motorcycle experience (and Barb's- wife) more than my wildest expectations. So thank you to all.

A year or so ago I replaced my back tire with a Dunlop 404. We were in the worst rain / wind storm I have ever driven through on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the tire(s) performed perfectly. However, pulling a trailer (300# loaded) the rear tire has last just over 6K miles and has some left, but would not pass my state inspection.

I have put a Stratoliner front wheel / tire on the front with some success on the slow speed maneuverability. I changed the rear shock to a Werks heavy duty unit and that was GREAT! I have new progressive springs for the forks that I have no installed yet to help with the front end dive when braking with a passenger and trailer.

I installed the V-Max rear and that was the single best improvement I have made. Most of our riding is on 35 - 55 mph roads and the additional acceleration is great. And, I really see no big problem with 70 mph on the highways - I have no interest in running faster for very long anyway (I am 58 yo, so have lost a bit of that characteristic).

I have done the leveling links and one up this is the final mod for low speed handling. With only me; I could park Baby Huey in the eye of a needle. Okay, I am bragging and can't support it. The point is, front wheel / tire + rear links = WOW! However, I have a 29" inseam. Riding alone, no problem I lean one way and I have it. With a 200 lb Mama, not always a fun experience. Add to Mama a 300 lb trailer, "Walk like a man, talk like man.." You get the idea. It's a challenge at times.

So, I need a rear tire. I have the usual 150/90-15. If I went to the 140/90-15 depending on the make of the tire I may get back 1/4 - 3/8" of height (lower). But, it will impact speedometer accuracy (already about 6 - 7 % off) and I will have overall gear ratio even lower.

Anyone running this combination and even if not, have any thoughts? How about rear tire choice? Anyone familiar with this tire choice? IRC WF920 140/90-15 M/C 70H, REAR It's a nice looking tire. Other thoughts?

But, it will impact speedometer accuracy (already about 6 - 7 % off) and I will have overall gear ratio even lower.

The speedometer is connected to the front wheel, so no speedometer change will occur when changing rear wheel diameter.

Additional thoughts / tire sizes diameter and width in inches

Michelin Commander 2 - 140/90-15 - 24.63 / 6.14

150/90-15 - 26.34 / 6.5

Dunlop 404 140/90-15 - 24.73 / 5.51

150/90-15 - 25.6 / 5.9

Metzler ME880 160/80-15 - 25.07 / 6.3

This comes from several websites selling tires that post these specs. Does anyone know the widest rear tire that will reasonable fit onto the back of an 08 RSTD?

• 2 weeks later...
First I would like to say that my small investment in support of this site has enhanced my motorcycle experience (and Barb's- wife) more than my wildest expectations. So thank you to all.

A year or so ago I replaced my back tire with a Dunlop 404. We were in the worst rain / wind storm I have ever driven through on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the tire(s) performed perfectly. However, pulling a trailer (300# loaded) the rear tire has last just over 6K miles and has some left, but would not pass my state inspection.

I have put a Stratoliner front wheel / tire on the front with some success on the slow speed maneuverability. I changed the rear shock to a Werks heavy duty unit and that was GREAT! I have new progressive springs for the forks that I have no installed yet to help with the front end dive when braking with a passenger and trailer.

I installed the V-Max rear and that was the single best improvement I have made. Most of our riding is on 35 - 55 mph roads and the additional acceleration is great. And, I really see no big problem with 70 mph on the highways - I have no interest in running faster for very long anyway (I am 58 yo, so have lost a bit of that characteristic).

I have done the leveling links and one up this is the final mod for low speed handling. With only me; I could park Baby Huey in the eye of a needle. Okay, I am bragging and can't support it. The point is, front wheel / tire + rear links = WOW! However, I have a 29" inseam. Riding alone, no problem I lean one way and I have it. With a 200 lb Mama, not always a fun experience. Add to Mama a 300 lb trailer, "Walk like a man, talk like man.." You get the idea. It's a challenge at times.

So, I need a rear tire. I have the usual 150/90-15. If I went to the 140/90-15 depending on the make of the tire I may get back 1/4 - 3/8" of height (lower). But, it will impact speedometer accuracy (already about 6 - 7 % off) and I will have overall gear ratio even lower.

Anyone running this combination and even if not, have any thoughts? How about rear tire choice? Anyone familiar with this tire choice? IRC WF920 140/90-15 M/C 70H, REAR It's a nice looking tire. Other thoughts?

I threw the cheapest tire i could find on it, and i can barely hit 6k miles per tire myself. Although i do ride with a pretty quick crowd:stickinouttounge: