IGNORED

Oil and Filter for RSTD

If the cost is an issue, which you kind of said it is, then someone will tell you the correct Rotella to use.

Never heard of it not working.

Else, 10W40 Amsoil is really good, but probably cost about $10-$11.50 qt., you save there because it is good for excess of 7k miles. Have gone 10k+.

BTW,,, you just opened the Holy Grail of MC related questions.

Filter, I was using Purolator Pure One for years but it is now pointed out that is a car filter and requires a higher pressure than provided by our engines. So, that puts it back to a filter that is MC specific. You won't go wrong with an K&N.

But if, again, cost is an issue, a Hi-Flo is okay or head to Walmart for their Tech filter.

(I think the universal size is 303)

Is being too expensive really a legitimate discussion when it pertains to changing oil and filter? I mean, if you're saving a buck or two per quart to go with a non Yamaha branded product, and you're only changing your oil every so often depending on how much you ride. Heck you're talking about saving what, 6$-8$-$10 every couple months? Hmmmm. I say buy the Yamaha stuff and worry about gas prices, or something you buy on a regular basis.

I use the OEM oil filter.

When I first got my '09 RSV I used Mobil 1 but cost in Canada for it was about $75 per oil change (just for the oil). I switched to Rotella T6 ($42 in Canada - seen it in the U.S. for $21) and have had no issues.

I buy the Valvoline motorcycle oil and NAPA filter for my 89. As long as the oil has the proper Jaso rating, you can't go wrong. Oil filters are available in many brands specifically for your motorcycle. But this subject can go on and on and on.

If the cost is an issue, which you kind of said it is, then someone will tell you the correct Rotella to use.

Never heard of it not working.

On the Kawasaki forum, a FJR1300 owner said he used Rotella and had samples checked and it didn't last long at all. He switched to another brand that held up much better. The only way you know for sure what oil holds up is to get samples checked at the lab.

Is being too expensive really a legitimate discussion when it pertains to changing oil and filter? I mean, if you're saving a buck or two per quart to go with a non Yamaha branded product, and you're only changing your oil every so often depending on how much you ride. Heck you're talking about saving what, 6$-8$-$10 every couple months? Hmmmm. I say buy the Yamaha stuff and worry about gas prices, or something you buy on a regular basis.

:thumbsup2: Agree ! X 2 :whistling: :sign It wasnt me:

• 1 month later...
Rotella T6 full synthetic. I use the gold purolator L14610

Just changed oil & filter a few days ago at 12,400 miles. Oil didn't look bad. Not sure what PO was running but it did have a Yamaha filter. Scoot seems quieter (less gear whine) and shifts easier. Just my $.02. :whistling:

I was spending some time the other day looking up filters. One I looked up spec was the fram MC filter. I wont run one by choice but was looking for pressure relief valve. Both the Fram and the purolator l 14610 have 1 psi relief.