IGNORED

International Rally Grand Prize

Freebird

OK ladies and gentlemen and all the rest of you too.

We didn't have a grand prize at the last rally due to the fact that I drug my feet for too long and we didn't get anything bought. As those raffle tickets are the main fund raiser for our OPE fund, I really want to have one for the 2015 rally.

The question is, what should it be? We have had this discussion before and there is never a consensus but I would like your thoughts again.

We could do a trailer again and that has always been a good fund raiser. It has also be suggested that we look at seeing what kind of deal we can get on a Honda Ruckus. They are really cool little bikes for running around locally or you could sell it if you didn't want it. Maybe a couple of high end motorcycle GPS units? Those are just a couple of thoughts that have come up. What say you?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it matters as most ignore me anyway

Good name brand Laptop it's not a seasonal item and used most if not everyday Figure the committee already have it done but then again it's not the Hub committee either :whistling::duck: OK enough:stickpoke: as I know everyone on the committee and Love each and everyone and I also know what ever the committee agrees on it be :happy34:

No matter what item or gadget you pick... there will be a certain percentage of members who already have it or don't want/need it. Hard to find something "most" members could use.

One thing we could all use is a Shell Gas Card preloaded with $4375 worth of gas... I just picked Shell as an example. Not sure which is the most widely available brand??

It could be advertised as.... "Win 5 Years of Free Gas"

Fine print: 5 years based on an estimate of 10,000 miles per year, average motorcycle fuel economy of 40 mpg, and a gasoline price of $3.50 per gallon. Please call a doctor or sell your bike if it lasts more than 5 years....

Fine print: 5 years based on an estimate of 10,000 miles per year, average motorcycle fuel economy of 40 mpg, and a gasoline price of $3.50 per gallon. Please call a doctor or sell your bike if it lasts more than 5 years....

Who only rides their bike 10K a year?

Since reading this the other night I thought about several things. And as was mentioned some either have it or dont care to. But now the Gas Card or a Visa,Mastercard or simular type card might be a good idea. Then they could use it for gas or lodging of their choice, a trip or whatever. From experience one thing to watch is an expiration date on the cards or a fee to "turn them on" Or you could give them lifetime membership here. :rotf:

One thing we could all use is a Shell Gas Card preloaded with $4375 worth of gas... I just picked Shell as an example. Not sure which is the most widely available brand??

It could be advertised as.... "Win 5 Years of Free Gas"

I like this idea- some sort of Gas card as Everyone needs gas whether they are on the cycle or in the "other vehicle" . :)

$4300.00 gas card? All expense paid trip for two to Hawaii?

Come on folks, you are thinking WAY too big. In the past, we have managed to pick up a trailer at a nicely discounted price. We have usually paid between $1300 and $1750 for the trailer. Then we stress over whether or not we will sell enough tickets to cover the cost. So far, we have always covered the cost and even made a few bucks to donate to the OPE fund but not a lot.

Some great suggestions so far. Keep them coming but some of you are thinking too big. :) We are a small group.

Cash has been suggested in the past but what would be a fair split? Remember, the reason we are doing a grand prize is for a fundraiser. What percentage of the collected cash would be a fair split? We typically do a 50/50 drawing during the rally and I think that is good enough for a cash prize and not sure that making it also a grand prize is necessary.

I like the idea of "gas cards". However, they are really a "gift card" and can be used for anything in the store EXCEPT Lottery tickets (at least here in TN). could be used for alot of beer!!!!

I purchase Shell gift cards for our clients to use for gas. They can be purchased in denominations of $25 up to $100 per card. I actually think this is a good idea. Usually the prepaid Visa / Mastercards come with some type of fees on them.

You can also get a preloaded Wal Mart gift card which gives you a cents-off amount at certain Murphy gas stations. I would bet a fair amount of us live near one. either way, it would also be good at ANY Wal mart. Not sure how many would like that.

Either way, if we went that route, I would say no more than $1000 for the grand prize. since we typically spent $1300 or more on a trailer in the past...

Just a few thoughts...

Sorry about thinking to big. When you mentioned a trailer... my Bushtec came to mind so I was in another zip code on the price range.. :mo money:

But... I still think the gas card would be a good idea maybe... just within whatever budget you decide.

I know a lot of folks already have the GPS, helmet and other gear they want/need. But I can always think of a way to use gas.. (or beer :beer: )

The higher end GPS or the trailer is kind of cool. How about an X amount of dollar shopping spree. Say for helmets, new gear, boots, headsets eats. Can be from one of our sponsors or we can limit it down to let's say 3 stores. People would be willing to buy new stuff...

Brother am I glad you included EATS in that list! For some of us it just wouldnt feeeel right to not look like a homeless person :rotf::rotf:

Sorry about thinking to big. When you mentioned a trailer... my Bushtec came to mind so I was in another zip code on the price range.. :mo money:

But... I still think the gas card would be a good idea maybe... just within whatever budget you decide.

I know a lot of folks already have the GPS, helmet and other gear they want/need. But I can always think of a way to use gas.. (or beer :beer: )

I understand. We gave away a Bushtec at three rallies I think. At that time, a base Bushtec RoadStar or Turbo 2 retailed for around $2400.00. I negotiated a deal with them to buy them for 50% off and gave them a one year banner on the site. So our cost was around $1200.00 and I think the last one around $1350.00. Then Andrew Preston sold the company and I was not able to get a deal like that from the new owners. Those were base but fully functional trailers and the winner was able to spend money if he or she wanted to in order to add the options that they wanted.