IGNORED

I think I'm gonna bite.

uncledj

I have a chance to pick this up pretty cheap. ($1K) and I think I'm gonna do it. 16K miles, he says it runs, but the carb needs work, as the needle valve sticks...???

It's being sold by the friend of a friend, and is about 3 hrs away, so I haven't see it in person yet.

I came pretty close to buying a KLR650 last year, but hesitated and it was sold.

BMW seems to get pretty good reviews.

It's a 99 BMW F650

Anyone here have any opinions on this bike?:cool10:

While seafoam is a fantastic tool for what you spend it likely won't fix this.

These bikes have a weird anomaly in the carb, as they age and wear the mixture gets richer and richer, to the point fuel just runs out,,,sure fire cure is to rebuild the carb. Watch for water pump failures, check the oil, not just level but content. Chocolate milk is a sure sign of a leaky water pump.

For $1k, you could order a new carb from Daddy Beemer and still come out ahead

• 1 month later...

That pic shows gas on the floor. I picked it up and put a new battery in it. It took me about a half hour to figure out that it'll do NOTHING with the kickstand down. Not even in neutral.

Anyhoo, (with the kickstand up), it turned over for a few seconds and fired up. I could smell that the gas was old, but there wasn't much in it, so I put a gallon of fresh gas with some seafoam in it, and just like the seller said, it was dumping gas from the carbs. I turned the gas off and left it sit for a week (it was at my dads' house 3 hrs away). When I picked it up, it wasn't leaking anymore. I've had it sitting here with the gas on for a week now, and no leaks. I start it and run it up and down the street every day...leave the gas on....no leaks.

I don't know what to make of it, but I ain't complainin'

All in all it runs GREAT. starts easily, and everything works as it should. New chain and sprockets on it too. I must say that with the tires on it,....good tread, but they're street tires, ....it doesn't grab for poo on the grass , gravel or dirt. I'm considering putting a set of enduro tires on it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, and think it'll serve my purpose as a shuttlecraft for the motorhome quite nicely.:happy65: