IGNORED

'92 VR - RPMs on Highway

Just curious how fast the motor should be running @85mph in 5th gear.

Just got my bike on the highway for the first time and it turns 4000rpm @ 85 in 5th.

That seems a little high to me, but then again, this is the first time I've ridden a Venture at highway speeds.

Just curious how fast the motor should be running @85mph in 5th gear.

Just got my bike on the highway for the first time and it turns 4000rpm @ 85 in 5th.

That seems a little high to me, but then again, this is the first time I've ridden a Venture at highway speeds.

Unless my brain has taken a vacation today (entirely possible), memory says at 4,000rpm I'm at about 72mph. 4500rpm is around 80. I know my speedo is about +2mph off.

Effective tire diameter has a substantial effect on engine rpm vs. road speed. Effective tire diameter also has a substantial effect upon speedometer indicated road speed.

For instance, the published tire diameter for the MU90B16 Dunlop Elite III is 25.72". The 140/90-16 Dunlop D404 rear tire diameter is 24.73". The D404 is an inch smaller in diameter. This smaller diameter tire effectively lowers the overall gear ratio and increases the engine rpm for a comparable road speed.

The Elite III front tire is larger than the comparable D404 front tire. This difference in tire diameter will effect the speedometer reading as well; the larger Elite III will roll further down the road for each complete tire rotation than the smaller D404, thus the speedometer (which reads front tire/wheel rpm) will be indicating a slower speed than when the smaller D404 is installed.

Then there is the issue of effective tire diameter vs. unloaded tire diameter. The Elite III MU90B16 has a specified unloaded diameter of 25.72" but the loaded effective diameter is probably at least ¾" shorter (as measured from the center of the axle to the pavement). At very high speed, the tire may grow, but the Elite III is a belted tire and belted tires do not grow nearly as much as conventional bias ply tires such as the D404 due to the centrifugal force created at high speed.

Together, differing effective tire diameters will manifest in substantial engine rpm vs. indicated road speed differences.

Here is a screen shot of a table with the First Gen Venture parameters utilized. This calculator can be found here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=87093&stc=1&d=1411062308

attachment.php?attachmentid=87092&stc=1&d=1411060852

Edited by Prairiehammer

• 2 weeks later...