IGNORED

85 Venture royale help

tbaileyga

Hello all, I have my first Venture Royale, actually my first Yamaha. I bought it not running, with great body work and electronics. Problem I have is I cannot find engine parts for it. I plan to rebuilt the top end, but again, I cant find parts. I am not sure I am asking the right questions. It is an 85 1300. Can anyone assist with where, how, to get parts for these bikes? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips on the overhaul would be appreciated as well.

Many Thanks

Tony B.

It is an 85 1300.

Welcome!

If it is in fact a 1985 '1300' then some one has installed a later (1986-1993) 1300cc engine into a 1985 chassis. The 1985 would have been a 1200cc from the factory. EDI: Never mind. I see in your profile that you have a 1986. Indeed a 1300 from the factory.

State the frame number (on a sticker below the brake pedal) and then state the engine number (on a striated boss on the crankcase, located above the middle gear cover, behind the removable black plastic panel).

As for rebuilding the top end; what caused you to think the top end needed rebuilding? As Yammer says, it is pretty rare to require a top end (or bottom end, for that matter) rebuild on the Yamaha V4.

30 psi compression on the right front cylinder, 60 psi on the right rear.

Are the other two cylinders more in the normal range? Just curious since you are going to have to tear into it anyway just to know what is what.

For the low compression two, it would seem like tearing into the engine would give you the answers. Who knows. Cylinder/piston scoring could have low numbers like that. Once you have the pieces sitting in your lap, I'm guessing that the problem will be obvious.

Lots of parts can be found online from the usual sources. I have an 83 venture and I've never had any trouble locating parts. Even the internal engine bits and pieces. However, if your engine has suffered a major lack of lube for a period of time or some other calamity, it may be simpler to locate a used engine which is more functional with fewer problems. Of course, it is just a roll of the dice to find something at the moment that you decide that you need it.

I rebuilt an 83 and didn't have any serious shortages of parts. I'm gonna guess that everything you need for your 85 is out there and available. I don't know where you live, but in the north, we are gradually drifting into "building season". If you aren't in a major rush to locate each thing, you will likely find the parts you need without huge expense or struggle.

At any rate, that is my experience.

zag

I think my problem may have been searching for an 85 1300, I have seen many since I added the 86 to the search.

I was hoping to get it running before I tore it down, but with only 2 cylinders running, I don't call that "running".

we are just getting into the best riding season here, temps are down below 100 now. Summer is the rebuild time here.

thanks for the input, I will keep looking. I don't give up easy.

Hello all, I have my first Venture Royale, actually my first Yamaha. I bought it not running, with great body work and electronics. Problem I have is I cannot find engine parts for it. I plan to rebuilt the top end, but again, I cant find parts. I am not sure I am asking the right questions. It is an 85 1300. Can anyone assist with where, how, to get parts for these bikes? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Any tips on the overhaul would be appreciated as well.

Many Thanks

Tony B.

I have a '91 1300 motor w/50,000 on it, that I thought I needed?? I'm in it $200 plus the gas to drive down to Bakersfield from Sacramento to pick it up. It's been sitting, but it's all there.... no carbs..... you can have it for the $200 if you think it'll help.

The compression on the other 2 is normal?

If they are normal and carbs are on it....make sure the throttle butterfies were wide open on the right carbs. otherwise you will get a low compression test.

If someone messed with synch screws, this is very likely.

You need to perform a leak down test to discover where it is leaking. It may be that those cylinders have valves that are too tight and $100 in parts and an afternoon will take care of it. MiCarl

Or crud on the valves (between the valve and seat) causing them not to seal.

Have you had it running? It will start on 2 good cylinders.

Edited by frankd

thanks for all the input. I had a bad compression tester. I have the bike running. still needs carb work. does anyone know what the fuel pump pressure should be. when I turn on the ignition, I here a slow tic tic tic. it is moving fuel.

the tick, tick tick is normal when you turn on the bike, its the pump filling the carb bowls. once the bowls fill it stops. if the bowls are still full it will not run.. but I don't know of any one stating fuel pressure in here, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will stop in shortly to help out.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...