IGNORED

"Generation" Question

I see many threads referring to 1st, 2nd, etc. generation of venture bikes.

Is there a resource that shows what 1st Gen bikes look like and what features set

them aside from the next gen? Wiki falls short from what I've seen.

I noticed that the origonal poster has an early Royal Star. There is no history for these bikes made from 1996-2000 (more or less). Do we have a member who could write an early Royal Star history and explain the differences between it and the later RSV and RSTDs?

Happy to help!

Be careful what you ask for on this site. You might just get an answer..... possibly even a good one.....:stickpoke::stirthepot:

Answers: FREE

Answers, related to original question: $0.25

Answers, requiring thought: $0.50

Answers, correct: Priceless

Wow, that review is harsh...2 of 5 stars on Value and Ride/Handling? :rotf:

Anyway, that page does list the rated HP and Top Speed though,

would be nice to get that info added to the History Page. :cool10:

Regarding the PM, the second link you posted contains the PDF's you speak of I believe,

thank you very much for that!

• 1 month later...
So, is it true that the 1996-2001 are First Generation Royal Star?

The older bikes are First and Second generation Ventures, correct?

Don't know about the Royal Star, but the Ventures are 1st gen from 83 to 93 with the 83 to 85 being MrkI and the 86 to 93 being MrkII because there is a change in engine size (1200 to 1300) and the bags are different. From 99 to 13 they are all 2nd gens, all the same except for color, they even kept the cassette deck even though the kids had no idea what they were used for.

From all I've been able to find, the 1996-2001 have 74HP.

Only been able to find that in a couple locations:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-xvz1300a-royal-star-1996-2001-/

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xvz_1300_a_royal_star_1996.php

According to the Venture History page, 1999-Present have a 98HP engine.

They look the same, have the same bore/stroke/compression ratio...but 98HP

This is a big part of the reason why I question whether the later model bikes

are considered a 2nd Gen. Royal Star...?:detective:

From all I've been able to find, the 1996-2001 have 74HP.

Only been able to find that in a couple locations:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/bikereviews/searchresults/bike-reviews/yamaha/yamaha-xvz1300a-royal-star-1996-2001-/

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xvz_1300_a_royal_star_1996.php

According to the Venture History page, 1999-Present have a 98HP engine.

They look the same, have the same bore/stroke/compression ratio...but 98HP

This is a big part of the reason why I question whether the later model bikes

are considered a 2nd Gen. Royal Star...?:detective:

Anyone have any insight on this??

I would say that you are correct. We've never really categorized them that way but it wold be correct to call the 1996 - 2001 Royal Stars a first gen model.

The difference in the HP is because of the carbs (smaller) and the air boxes. From all that I've read, Yamaha was attempting to keep a very "clean" cruiser look with the early Royal Stars. Part of that was to hide the air boxes. You will notice that the later Royal Stars have the same large air boxes that the Royal Star Venture has. A box of each side that is readily visible. You won't see those on the earlier Royal Stars. By using the smaller out of site air boxes on the earlier Royal Stars, they weren't able to get enough air into them and therefore went with small carbs to keep the air/fuel ration correct. The HP and of course the performance took huge hit because of it.

Baron's used to offer a "big air kit" for the early Royal Stars. Don't know if he still does or not. With the big air kit and some larger jets the HP could be increased a bit but still not to the level of the newer Royal Stars and Ventures. To really get to that point requires larger carbs and to install larger cards requires a custom machined larger intake to mount them to the bike. I know a few people who have done it. StarFan is a member here who lives in Iceland. He did the full modification with the larger carbs, custom intake, big air kit and even went with VMAX cams. From what I understand, his bike runs very strong.

Hope this helps some.