IGNORED

Question about first mod. 96 Royal Star

My bike runs great. I am itching to upgrade a bit in performance. Bike has a k&n filter and OEM exhaust that I drilled holes in the end to get a bit more rumble. I was wanting to know what everyone thinks would be a good starting point for me. I was thinking about jetting the carbs with a stage 1kit. Thanks for any replies!

I don't think that doing the stage 1 will help all that much. The problem with the earlier Royal Stars are that the carbs were smaller and the air box was smaller. Baron's used to offer what they called a Big Air Kit. That allowed it to get more air and of course also required the different jets which is probably what you are referring to as the stage 1 kit.

From what I've read though, never done it myself, the only real solution is to install larger carbs from a First Gen or even a Second Gen Venture. It is not just a swap of the carbs though. It requires a custom machined intake because they are not a direct bolt on.

Some have done the carb swap, stage 1 air kit and even VMAX cams and then they really wake up. It requires a good bit of work though.

You can install a DYNA 3000 ignition, that helps.

You can go over to the Delphi forums and talk with Tanker Hank, he has managed to drop a Venture motor into a standard Royal Star a couple of times, that will get you some added horsepower, but it is not for the faint of heart.

I hear ya...I was suppose to buy a 2005 V-Max today but talked myself out of it. Dont think I would of likednthe way it handles. I think I want to take my 96 and soup it up a bit. I have a 2007 Warrior that moves along pretty good. My RS gets up and moves pretty good also. I keep hearing about it being a slow sluggish machine. Mine really isnt. I am not saying it will raise the front tire, but from 1st to 2nd it sure wants to. I really just want a little more low end to it. I love to glide down the road on that old girl. It gets so many head turns and people always ask me what kind of bike is it. All of my friends are all Harley this and that...but their Dyna's dont like it when I pull off from them...haha. I take care of her and people have a hard time beliving it is as old as it is...I love the old bike!

My bike runs great. I am itching to upgrade a bit in performance. Bike has a k&n filter and OEM exhaust that I drilled holes in the end to get a bit more rumble. I was wanting to know what everyone thinks would be a good starting point for me. I was thinking about jetting the carbs with a stage 1kit. Thanks for any replies!

Do you or anyone else know what HP that stock motor is rated?

I've read 74HP consistently but cannot confirm officially. :detective:

I agree with the V-Max drive suggestion, I've heard it drops the gearing a tish

and makes the big girls much snappier. :cool10: