IGNORED

Intro and question

My name is Scott from West Virginia and just purchased a 2006 rstd. I bought it from the car dealer my wife works for. They took it on trade with 11000 miles. Since they don't deal with motorcycles, I bought it at cost ($3700). On to the question this bike had set and had old stinky gas (you know the smell) and wouldn't stay running except on full choke. After a seafoam treatment, it will run now with choke off but will not idle up with the adjustment. It is rideable but not very good throttle response coming from idle. Seems to run right on the highway at speed. I ordered a carb sync tool that should be here soon. Will that help with idle adjustment? It has zero adjustment now. I'm i on the right path?

Thanks,

Scott

The carb sync tool will only help if the carbs are working right. Sounds like yours may still be gummed up. It will not help with the idle adjustment. Also you may want to verify your air filters are clear and your spark plugs are not fouled. I'm sure others with more smarts than me will chime in.

kickshot

The carb tune MAY help but in my opinion, you have gummed up carbs and they need to be removed and completely cleaned out. Fuel filter changed, and possibly the fuel lines may have some of that gummed up old gas in them. Hard to say without seeing it.

I personally would:

1. Remove the tank, and flush it out real good.
  2. Change fuel filter
  3. Remove carbs and clean
  4. check fuel lines and replace if needed
  5. reassemble
  6. Add fresh fuel
  7. then I would adjust the carbs with the carb tune.

Also, since you just bought the bike and being it would be down performing the above tasks, I would also just go ahead and:

Grease the drive shaft

Grease rear splines

change oil & filter

Check, clean or replace air filters

Then... I would visit this link and go over the bike checking everything mentioned on this link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Good luck....

If you run into questions you can email me or call me. Send me an email, and I will send you my phone number in case you run into problems.

Eck

What ratio on the aeafoam have you run? Typical "normal" is one oz to a gallon. Try a double and drive some. When you get some of the new mix in carbs as ir sits some it should help disolve some of the gum. Fuel filter would be good to change soon as if you run the seafoam thru to filter it will loosen the crap in there also. Filter is kind of a pia to get at but read up on it.

What ratio on the aeafoam have you run? Typical "normal" is one oz to a gallon. Try a double and drive some. When you get some of the new mix in carbs as ir sits some it should help disolve some of the gum. Fuel filter would be good to change soon as if you run the seafoam thru to filter it will loosen the crap in there also. Filter is kind of a pia to get at but read up on it.

They did it at the car dealer to get it running. So I have no idea on the ratio. It has had two tanks of fresh gas ran through. I will change all filters. I have changed oil and filter first. Do the carbs come apart easily to get a really good clean? Are there rebuild kits available?

Thanks,

Scott

They dont look to come off easy to me. And I would say I'm a pretty fair mechanic. I am however NOT a carburetor guy. Run a couple more tanks of seafoam mixture thur if you think you can safely and see what you think. The carbs a buried up under and between the cylinders.

No the carbs are not what I would call easy to get to. Have to remove gas tank, lower fairings, and all the air intake system. Not technically difficult but time consuming.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the price, it's worth fixing up.

The carb tune MAY help but in my opinion, you have gummed up carbs and they need to be removed and completely cleaned out. Fuel filter changed, and possibly the fuel lines may have some of that gummed up old gas in them. Hard to say without seeing it.

I personally would:

1. Remove the tank, and flush it out real good.
  2. Change fuel filter
  3. Remove carbs and clean
  4. check fuel lines and replace if needed
  5. reassemble
  6. Add fresh fuel
  7. then I would adjust the carbs with the carb tune.

Also, since you just bought the bike and being it would be down performing the above tasks, I would also just go ahead and:

Grease the drive shaft

Grease rear splines

change oil & filter

Check, clean or replace air filters

Then... I would visit this link and go over the bike checking everything mentioned on this link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Good luck....

If you run into questions you can email me or call me. Send me an email, and I will send you my phone number in case you run into problems.

Eck

I started to disassemble the bike and realized that I need a service manual. I don't want to remove something I don't need to. I ordered a paper manual. I will get a fuel filter and spark plugs while I wait for the manual. Thanks for the help and I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Scott

SOLVED!! After disassembly of the bike and carbs, it was gummed up inside. Only parts needed was float bowl o rings. Not that complicated just a lot of paying attention and only doing one carb at a time. Carb balance was off side to side. It's a runner now and the wife and I can get it out more. Thanks for all that helped. I am now a paid member.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by CrashmanS