IGNORED

Another question about the site

Freebird

Well here's the deal folks. I have the mirror site running fine on the updated version of VBulletin. Now that it is done and am confident about porting it over to the live site, VBulletin has come up with an update to our current software. It adds no new features but allows it to run on the newer versions of the server software that needs to be installed.

It may STILL not be an option because it may break other things, like our home page which is a different software but integrated with the forum.

I actually just installed the new 3.8.8 version here and I can see one thing already that is not working correctly. It's just minor addon though.

My question is. What is YOUR preference. Do you prefer to stay with what we have IF it is possible or should I go ahead with the newer version that I am running at the Touring Hogs site?

In my opinion it is just a matter of time and the "upgrade" will be necessary. Even though I'm an Old Fart and hate change I realize that sometimes it is inevitable.. I'd say that now is as good a time as any and you've already spent the many hours and sleepless nights trying to get this right. I am sure that I am not alone in appreciating you and what you do for this site and all of us that call it home..

So I'd say go for it and we will all get use to it.. I'm sure there will be some growing pains and a learning curve but hey.. It's all about the people not the face of the site..

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I was on the home page. About the only page I use is the new posts Link, that is my bookmark to get here.

As to what version of software, you do what is best for you, and we will adapt. We will adapt with some kicking and screaming, but we will eventually adapt. And the couple that will leave that can not adapt, were probably not nearly as well addicted as the rest of us.....

I have not really checked out the Hog site, My computer is slow enough already.....:stirthepot:

No one likes change but knowing that these newer versions are where they will be putting in the effort for design and security I think it's a change that will end up needing to be done regardless. So if you're ready for it I say go for it and we'll work through figuring out any changes that we come across. VB is fairly user friendly anyways, so I can't imagine much of anything that changes will mess any of us up too bad, even the real geriatrics of this board:rotf::rotf:

Go ahead with the new version Don. I agree you've spent enough time and energy in getting it this far anyway. We'll adapt just fine. Thanks for all your work on this. Doug

If I remember correctly, one of the major concerns is that it is, or will not be supported in the future, so I say, with all of your effort that you have put in to switch it over, finish what you started, and we will deal with our new site.

And again, thanks for all of your effort in keeping it here. to say nothing of maintaining it.

Steve

Well one great new feature of the new version is that it has an autosave feature. So if you are typing a long post and something happens it saves every so often.

Some things will be missing but that is what it is.

You will see some strange things happening here right now. I'm removing some plugins that aren't compatible with either upgrade. The smilies are already messed up. Also the side menus and etc. are gone. Some of these things will be put back eventually after it is all updated.

One other thing. The major change won't happen until tomorrow. I just don't have it in me tonight. Messed with this until about 3:30 this morning and my alarm went off at 6:00 to get to work. Got to get some rest tonight. Hopefully it will function OK as is now.

If you use the same software you use on your other site you'll only have to be familiar with the one system and your custom code should work on either.

While I'm offering opinions I'm not too keen on the orange/black theme. IMHO the blues are much more comfortable on the eyes.

CHANGE?? Ya mean like a Die-Hard 1st Genner going to a 2nd Gen??? Its going down I tell ya, just a matter of time!!! ORANGE???? This ain't Halloween!!!

Just do what ya gotta Boss. But that orange thing scares us colorblind critters. I get along great with these colors.

Sounds like I'm one of the many that don't use the home page. Make the upgrade to the new version. Think the main thing is the communication, tech articles.

As for colours... I like the blue tones to keep it looking like the old version. The colours you were playing with are fine. To speed up the site though...go with the fastest colours... like the '09 red/raven RSV.