IGNORED

Planning the site upgrade

Freebird

This is just a bit of notice. I THINK I'm going to try to update the site on Monday evening. Will let you know for sure before I do it. Very nervous about this. Will do a full backup and take every precaution before trying it. Things are going to be a lot different around here once I'm finished. You can take a look at the touring hog site to get an idea of what it will be like. It will be pretty basic once it is up and running. I want to get it fully functional and then will start adding as many of the features back that are possible. Many customizations here over the years. Most are not that important but some may be missed until I figure out a way to get some of them back.

I am NOT looking forward to this but it has to be done. :( Actually thought about doing it this evening but if things go bad....my wife is not going to be happy with me spending the rest of the weekend on the computer.

I think it is also time for a color change. Haven't decided what colors yet but am getting tired of the blue. HEY....the ORANGE at the touring hog site looks pretty good. Orange and black...yea....that sounds nice. :witch_brew:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a bit of notice. I THINK I'm going to try to update the site on Monday evening. Will let you know for sure before I do it. Very nervous about this. Will do a full backup and take every precaution before trying it. Things are going to be a lot different around here once I'm finished. You can take a look at the touring hog site to get an idea of what it will be like. It will be pretty basic once it is up and running. I want to get it fully functional and then will start adding as many of the features back that are possible. Many customizations here over the years. Most are not that important but some may be missed until I figure out a way to get some of them back.

I am NOT looking forward to this but it has to be done. :( Actually thought about doing it this evening but if things go bad....my wife is not going to be happy with me spending the rest of the weekend on the computer.

I think it is also time for a color change. Haven't decided what colors yet but am getting tired of the blue. HEY....the ORANGE at the touring hog site looks pretty good. Orange and black...yea....that sounds nice. :witch_brew:

Sounds great Don,, well,, all except this Orange and Black idea... I have a hunch that those colors would slow the site speed wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down... Probably take 45 minutes to upload a 2 minute picture... I also have a hunch we are gonna be prone to more breakdowns and gremlin type issues with those colors involved... :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Personally,,, I kinda like Dark Maroon, Gold (Blonde) and Black (used lightly).... Hard to describe,,, hmmm,,,, you could send a note to Venturefar,, he knows exactly the colors I am referring to... That color combination has proven itself over and over again in the history of mankind as the fastest speeds, most durable and very much an attention getter around REAL biker type people:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:...

I know for a fact that if you really want it to attract people's attention that you color it with a whole bunch of stickers! Just sayin'.

Doug

Sounds great Don,, well,, all except this Orange and Black idea... I have a hunch that those colors would slow the site speed wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down...

wa yd ow nw ay do wn wa yd ow nw ay do wn

They read and run about the same speed! :stirthepot:

I found a list of the psychological meanings of colors on the net. Let's see what psychological meaning a combination of Orange and Black could present: Warm, sensual, glamorous, passionately sophisticated or depraved, immature, frustrated with poor digestion?

Blue and yellow are nice?

Some combinations can have a really scary interpretation.

RED: Physical

Positive: Physical courage, strength, warmth, energy, basic survival, 'fight or flight', stimulation, masculinity, excitement.

Negative: Defiance, aggression, visual impact, strain.

BLUE: Intellectual

Positive: Intelligence, communication, trust, efficiency, serenity, duty, logic, coolness, reflection, calm.

Negative: Coldness, aloofness, lack of emotion, unfriendliness.

YELLOW: Emotional

Positive: Optimism, confidence, self-esteem, extroversion, emotional strength, friendliness, creativity.

Negative: Irrationality, fear, emotional fragility, depression, anxiety, suicide.

GREEN: Balance

Positive: Harmony, balance, refreshment, universal love, rest, restoration, reassurance, environmental awareness, equilibrium, peace.

Negative: Boredom, stagnation, blandness, enervation.

VIOLET: Spiritual

Positive: Spiritual awareness, containment, vision, luxury, authenticity, truth, quality.

Negative: Introversion, decadence, suppression, inferiority.

ORANGE:

Positive: Physical comfort, food, warmth, security, sensuality, passion, abundance, fun.

Negative: Deprivation, frustration, frivolity, immaturity.

PINK:

Positive: Physical tranquility, nurture, warmth, femininity, love, sexuality, survival of the species.

Negative: Inhibition, emotional claustrophobia, emasculation, physical weakness.

GREY:

Positive: Psychological neutrality.

Negative: Lack of confidence, dampness, depression, hibernation, lack of energy.

BLACK:

Positive: Sophistication, glamor, security, emotional safety, efficiency, substance.

Negative: Oppression, coldness, menace, heaviness.

WHITE.

Positive: Hygiene, sterility, clarity, purity, cleanness, simplicity, sophistication, efficiency.

Negative: Sterility, coldness, barriers, unfriendliness, elitism.

BROWN.

Positive: Seriousness, warmth, Nature, earthiness, reliability, support.

Negative: Lack of humor, heaviness, lack of sophistication.

Too much change. I was married 41 years and should have ended it 20 years earlier than I did, but I hate change. I have had my 1st gen almost 19 years and don't want to try anything else. I lived in my house before this one for 25 years and only moved here because both parents had passed, so it was like moving home.

At least we should stay with very similar colors as we have now. Did I say that I hate change?:backinmyday:

RandyA

I was getting ready to be a supporting member, should I wait for the upgrade or will it not make any difference?

Man I dont know Motiv,, I think if I were you I would join now so after the change you can always say that you were a member before the very slow running Orange and Black color days:stirthepot::rotf:

Personally I hate change, specially when it comes to anything involving computers. It seems the more things change the more confusing and troublesome they get. Of all the sites I have been on I always found this one to be the most user friendly. Oh and I like the blue.

Also I hope we don't loose our tech library etc..

I'm thinking that some of you missed my post last week about this change. I'm not upgrading the site because I think that it needs to be the latest and greatest software. I'm very happy with it the way it is. I can promise you that I would not even be thinking about this if there was a choice. The software running on the server is very obsolete now. The PHP version is what they call "end of life" and will no longer be supported. If there is a problem, crash, etc. of any kind, there is not even a copy of it on the system to restore. They have warned me that PHP must be updated. The problem is that this software is so old that it will not run on the updated version of the server software. Now this site is running on VBulletin version 3.8.7. They actually do have a version 3.8.8 now that is supposed to run on the newer PHP BUT....that is only half the issue for us. When I built this site over 10 years ago, I used VBulletin for the forum and a software named VBPortal for the home page. They integrate together and give us the total home page and forum integration that we currently have. I have made many upgrades over the years to keep it as current as possible but have run out of rope to keep it going as is. VBPortal is not even on the market any longer. They went out of business several years ago and I've had to cobble it together to work with various updates to VBulletin. This time though, I just don't have the time or smarts to do it. Making VBPortal work with the newer version of PHP is simply beyond my capabilities and would mean editing thousands of lines of programming code.

So I am not doing this to force a change on you that you don't want. I'm doing it to keep the site running.

:thumbdown: No No No

The Millennium two tone cream are the fastest colors.:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

You better not put them Harley Colors on here.:soapbox:

OK folks...I've run into major problems trying to do this update. So....after many hours of doing things that I won't even try to explain, I have restored it as was for now. I'm beat and will try again probably tomorrow night. Sorry and than you for your patience.