IGNORED

Handling Improved!!

I just have to give a "Thumbs up" to this website and all the advice received on my 2005 RSV.

I changed out the Rear Links and raised the rear end 1" and then installed a 130/90-16 front tire. My Bike handles GREAT!!! My wife and I went with friends last weekend and rode through the WV mountains on some great curvy roads and the bike handled like a sport bike. Those two mods really changed it for the better. I could not believe the difference.

I also installed a Clear View Windshield(Stock Height) and I really like it! Clear view is an excellent company to deal with and the shield is awesome. I haven't rode in the rain yet, but its supposed to work better then OEM shield. I'll find out soon,I'm sure.

Sam

I just have to give a "Thumbs up" to this website and all the advice received on my 2005 RSV.

I changed out the Rear Links and raised the rear end 1" and then installed a 130/90-16 front tire. My Bike handles GREAT!!! My wife and I went with friends last weekend and rode through the WV mountains on some great curvy roads and the bike handled like a sport bike. Those two mods really changed it for the better. I could not believe the difference.

I also installed a Clear View Windshield(Stock Height) and I really like it! Clear view is an excellent company to deal with and the shield is awesome. I haven't rode in the rain yet, but its supposed to work better then OEM shield. I'll find out soon,I'm sure.

Sam

Really, how many other 850 lbs. sport bikes have you ridden? :rotf:

I'll chime in here. I had a 89 Venture Royal back in the 90's and that thing was a TANK! Yes, it handled well enough until you came to a stop.. I dropped that bugger 3 times in one summer. I have burn marks on my leg to prove it. Top heavy doesn't begin to describe what it felt like trying to keep the shiny side up. I was happy to see the insurance check after the last time it fell. Can't say that I miss it either. Fast forward 15 years and two other bikes, I decided to get yet another bagger. I found an 05' RSV that I could afford and am HAPPY as heck to say this bike is a dream in comparison. Just this past weekend me and my lady did a 150 mile spin. I can't keep my face from smiling when I think of how much fun we had. The bike was AWESOME!!!! Feels sport bike like when I compare it to the yamaha Raider. I'm spoiled by the torque of the 1900 V twin and am looking for hot rod mods to get just a bit more grunt out of the 1300. 0-80 the Raider would eat it.. 80+... the Venture would shine! Just gotta twist that rubber band up a little. :D

I'm pretty happy with the RSV power. I ride with my wife on the back and fully loaded with a bag on the trunk rack and have not longed for more power. But then again I'm not trying to race anyone.

Most folks I have talked to who are not happy with the power of the RSV are riding in the wrong gear. I ride two lane roads no higher than 4th gear and only use 5th gear for 4 lane highways.

The handling was what I was most unhappy with. The bike handled like a pig until I made the changes mentioned above. The Leveling Links and 130 front tire made a huge difference and now its a joy to ride through the twisties.

I'm pretty happy with the RSV power. I ride with my wife on the back and fully loaded with a bag on the trunk rack and have not longed for more power. But then again I'm not trying to race anyone.

Most folks I have talked to who are not happy with the power of the RSV are riding in the wrong gear. I ride two lane roads no higher than 4th gear and only use 5th gear for 4 lane highways.

The handling was what I was most unhappy with. The bike handled like a pig until I made the changes mentioned above. The Leveling Links and 130 front tire made a huge difference and now its a joy to ride through the twisties.

Did the same switch to the 130 this spring when I installed Commander II's. Best move I ever did to improve handling. Bike had lowering links on before and replaced them with stock units which also improved handling. Now twisties are actually fun.

:canada::canada:

Well leveling links must make no difference in handling cause we just got confirmation from two opposite opinions. :rotf::rotf:

Actually when I bought the bike it had the lowering kit installed. At that point the handling was downright dangerous. So removed the lowering kit which raised the back end to stock height and that improved the handling. Then went with the 130 up front and it improved handling again. So no oposit oppinion here. Leveling links would result in raising the back again would it not.....or am i missing something?

Actually when I bought the bike it had the lowering kit installed. At that point the handling was downright dangerous. So removed the lowering kit which raised the back end to stock height and that improved the handling. Then went with the 130 up front and it improved handling again. So no oposit oppinion here. Leveling links would result in raising the back again would it not.....or am i missing something?

Your Right. Leveling links raise the back end one inch. I'm pretty sure my bike had lowering links, like yours, because when I installed the leveling links it raised the bike more than one inch. It was scary to ride on twisters.

I'll chime in here. I had a 89 Venture Royal back in the 90's and that thing was a TANK! Yes, it handled well enough until you came to a stop.. I dropped that bugger 3 times in one summer. I have burn marks on my leg to prove it. Top heavy doesn't begin to describe what it felt like trying to keep the shiny side up. I was happy to see the insurance check after the last time it fell. Can't say that I miss it either. Fast forward 15 years and two other bikes, I decided to get yet another bagger. I found an 05' RSV that I could afford and am HAPPY as heck to say this bike is a dream in comparison. Just this past weekend me and my lady did a 150 mile spin. I can't keep my face from smiling when I think of how much fun we had. The bike was AWESOME!!!! Feels sport bike like when I compare it to the yamaha Raider. I'm spoiled by the torque of the 1900 V twin and am looking for hot rod mods to get just a bit more grunt out of the 1300. 0-80 the Raider would eat it.. 80+... the Venture would shine! Just gotta twist that rubber band up a little. :D

Madcow

If you want that extra umph from the Venture consider the V-Max rear end swap.

Mike

Will lowering the front fork tubes one inch (in the triple tree) with OEM links in the rear achieve the same results as not lowering the forks and adding leveling links?

I would like to maintain or lower the seat height. Seems to me the geometry is equal with the benefit of a lower CG.:detective:

Will lowering the front fork tubes one inch (in the triple tree) with OEM links in the rear achieve the same results as not lowering the forks and adding leveling links? I would like to maintain or lower the seat height. Seems to me the geometry is equal with the benefit of a lower CG.:detective:

I agree with you that lowering the front end would decrease the rake and trail of the front end the same as raising the rear end, giving the bike slightly quicker/lighter steering. Now this would give you less ground clearance and the possibility of scraping the hard parts during a heavy lean.

I have been debating lowering the front end when I rebuild this winter with sonic springs. It is possible you may have fender clearance issues if you lower the tubes in the triple-clamp and hit a bump that would fully compress the stock front springs.

There seems to be conflicting information on this site and a lot of people do not recommend lowering the front end (as the only modification) and prefer to use the leveling links to raise the rear.

Not trying to hijack the thread, since this is related to the topic - Bratman, how did you like the switch to the Sonic Springs? I did that on my Vstrom and it is great. It handles very well after the switch. Now, I have no clue how would a big bike like a 2nd gen Venture respond to the change...

I agree with you that lowering the front end would decrease the rake and trail of the front end the same as raising the rear end, giving the bike slightly quicker/lighter steering. Now this would give you less ground clearance and the possibility of scraping the hard parts during a heavy lean. I have been debating lowering the front end when I rebuild this winter with sonic springs. It is possible you may have fender clearance issues if you lower the tubes in the triple-clamp and hit a bump that would fully compress the stock front springs. There seems to be conflicting information on this site and a lot of people do not recommend lowering the front end (as the only modification) and prefer to use the leveling links to raise the rear.

Not trying to hijack the thread, since this is related to the topic - Bratman, how did you like the switch to the Sonic Springs? I did that on my Vstrom and it is great. It handles very well after the switch. Now, I have no clue how would a big bike like a 2nd gen Venture respond to the change...

Planning stages right now for this winter's modifications, haven't switched yet.

I missed the terminology used here. Seems the "Leveling links" raise the rear, while the "Lowering links" do lower. Gets confusing at times. So you're back to stock height and has better handling, while some else raised another inch and has better handling. Maybe if I went 2" up I'd get a track bike! :stirthepot:

I've installed a leveling links and I believe it improved the handling but I didn't have that "wow" moment like some riders experienced. I know that I've installed it so I THINK it's handling better...but it wasn't that huge difference to me.

I was thinking about switching to 130 front tire but I've read some comments about feeling unsafe at highway speeds. I certainly wouldn't like to compromise that...

Is Stratoliner wheel different than just replacing the front tire with a 130 tire? I've read that some people experience a front shaking over 65 mph with a 130 "tire switch" (non-Stratoliner)...

I've checked for the Stratoliner wheel on Ebay - around $350 without a tire :shock3:

I've installed a leveling links and I believe it improved the handling but I didn't have that "wow" moment like some riders experienced. I know that I've installed it so I THINK it's handling better...but it wasn't that huge difference to me.

I was thinking about switching to 130 front tire but I've read some comments about feeling unsafe at highway speeds. I certainly wouldn't like to compromise that...

I read the same post you are talking about and considered what to do. I met a guy at Iron Pony in Columbus who had made the switch, using the Michelin Commander II front and told me it was the best Mod he had performed on his RSV. He rides about 10-15K a year. I ride about the same amount and decided it was worth the try. After the tire install, we put over 600 miles on the bike last weekend. I never noticed any handling issues at all. In fact, just the opposite, I found the bike handled better and rode better than ever before. We rode several 4 lane highways at speeds of 65-75mph and it performed great!

BTW.... Iron Pony has 130/90-16 Michelin Commander II for $130 right now. Best price I've seen so far.

Both of you got a good deal on them. So, Strat wheel seams to be nice, no response from a 130 "converts"... I'm sure I can find a bunch of threads on that subject... Any downside from switching to a Strat front wheel?[/QUOTE] Yes, you're out some more cash! Possibly less mileage as a 130 has less rubber on it than a 150 :confused24:

I put a Dunlop Elite III 130 front tire 12k miles ago. Love the difference and have had no issues with it. Just bought new tires and have not put them on yet but 130 on front is all I will run from now on.

Thank you, guys. That's a great news. My front tire is still okay but I might switch to 130 over the winter months and see what happens... Our bikes can use any help when it comes to low-speed handling. So, thanks again and I'll try a 130 soon... And thanks for the lead on Commander II, I've heard only good things about that tire (have E3 now)...