IGNORED

Checking out fuel pump

O.K. I think my fuel pump is in the process of going south. According to the manual resistance should be

4-30 Ohms. My checks out at 2.1. If I'm correct, that is showing the pump as "bad". I checked a NEW in the box pump, It is showing less than that. What gives....electrical ALWAYS screws me up. What am I missing?

Thanks, Melvin

Melvin,

Pop the back off the fuel pump and check the contacts. That is what goes out on these. You don't even need to remove it from the bike to inspect. I will try to find a link to the thread discussing - with pictures.

Found it - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87556&highlight=fuel+pump

Do a search in 2nd Gen Tech and you will find several threads discussing this.

RR

Edited by RedRider

If you are trying to make something connect, normally less resistance is good. So for your pump with 4 being the low end you are reading 2 so there is less "restriction" for the electricity to go thru. Typically the OEM fuel pumps go about 30k miles. Some more some less. Mine was about 32-32,000. I would hit reserve and bike would sputter and miss and engine all but quit. I would flip to reserve and engine never would catch up and you would have to pull off the side of the road and let the pump cool down, or at least thats what it seemed like to me. After this almost getting me hurt a couple times I started to investigate the Mr Gasket pump replacement. Since then not a lick of problems concerning fuel.

Check the points out. If you remember the old days when we had ignition points you will know what your looking for in a bad set.

Yea I know, I knew they were full of it. I had read way to much about it on this site. They didn't find anything wrong and were just going to give the bike back to me. I said are you going to call Yamaha to change this pump or am I. They changed the pump. Now a year and a have later points are bad again. Makes me wonder if they changed the pump or just cleaned the points.

I changed mine.Took it to the dealer (still under warranty) they wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. Everyting I tried to tell them they just looked at me like I had three eyes. So I figured they are WAY smarter than me, so they don't need me there. Sad that they could care less about having a dissatisfied customer. If the truth be know, Even if I worked for Barnum & Bailey, I wouldn't want those clowns working on my bike.

:hurts:

Melvin