IGNORED

Planning the site upgrade

Freebird

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think I am close to making the switch. I worked on the test site until about 3:30 this morning. Once it goes live, there will still be a ton of work to do on it. After upgrading the test site to the new software version, I then had to get rid of all the modifications that we use here but wouldn't run on the new software. That would have been a nightmare had I actually be asleep. :) Most of them had "uninstall" routines but I now know that most are very lacking in actually removing everything. I ended u searching and manually deleting a lot of orphan files that got left behind and were causing some major issues with database crashes and etc.

Our current classifieds will be gone. I have already installed a new classifieds system and though you may like it better or not as well, it co-exists better with the new software. All classifieds will be lost so any of you who have things listed for sale will have to submit new ones after the move.

There is not yet an interface with the chat room but I'll be working on that. In the meantime, Flyinfool has a link to the html version of our current chatroom that he hopefully will post after the move.

Home page is just barely there for now. I will be working on that over the next days and weeks also.

As for the style? I mean colors, layout and etc. You may or may not like it but it is just something that I threw together pretty quickly. Likely to change fairly soon or at least give you selectable options for colors and etc.

I KNOW there is going to be some complaining. I expect it and apologize but this was something that I really had no choice about.

Don

I did not come up with that link by myself. I blatantly stole it from one of your posts.:whistling:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74986

I would not want to give the impression that I have a clue.......:think:

I simply remembered that you had posted that link and then I went looking for it.

Here is the thread where I posted the chat link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89402

Edited by Flyinfool

I ended up searching and manually deleting a lot of orphan files that got left behind and were causing some major issues with database crashes and etc.

I KNOW there is going to be some complaining. I expect it and apologize but this was something that I really had no choice about.

Thanks for all your hard work and for keeping us updated Don!! YOU are appreciated!!

Now,, about the orphan files deleting thingy and complaining business,, I am gonna try and help out here.. I think we all agree that all orphan files should be deleted.. Especially ones with titles like YammerDan.crashnburn/harassmentexpert, Flyingfool.whitewash/rideruiner, Etcswjoe.troublemaker/potstirrer and any other files that should be in an orphanage, especially any with those types of suffixes.. If you would like some assistance in sorting them out I would be glad to help..

Having me do so would also help with the amount of complaints you will end up with as I will only delete the files that are orphans anyway so the only ones to complain will be like the following...

I wanna Complain!!!! The temps dropped 30 degrees since yesterday!!! This is un acceptable!! You don't want the winter crowd hanging out in here while you are doing all these changes!!!:stirthepot: Just kidding Boss. I Think....Thanks for all your work.

Thanks for all your hard work and for keeping us updated Don!! YOU are appreciated!! Now,, about the orphan files deleting thingy and complaining business,, I am gonna try and help out here.. I think we all agree that all orphan files should be deleted.. Especially ones with titles like YammerDan.crashnburn/harassmentexpert, Flyingfool.whitewash/rideruiner, Etcswjoe.troublemaker/potstirrer and any other files that should be in an orphanage, especially any with those types of suffixes.. If you would like some assistance in sorting them out I would be glad to help.. Having me do so would also help with the amount of complaints you will end up with as I will only delete the files that are orphans anyway so the only ones to complain will be like the following...

THAT Does It!! I'm going to the Garage!!!