IGNORED

Newbie best mods!

Hello everyone, I would love some advice from seasoned Venture riders:) I have owned the bike a couple years and concsidered selling, but decided not to. So, what are the best things I do do to make this bike as fun as possible? Here is what im thinking...

1. SEAT - stock isnt great and I have a Corben as well, it hurts! What do you suggest?

2. Windshield - I have a clearview, but it buffets the top of my head like crazy, to short?

3. Lower wind deflectors? - My bike is an 04 and didnt come with them, suggestions? Worth the effort?

4. Handling - I put Dunlop E3s and love them, Im thinking about lowering the front as well?

5. Handlebars - risers? flanders?....options?

Please advise on anything I missed to start, thank you!

Travis

The stock seat leaves a lot to desire for most. I had the upholstery removed and a gel pad inserted and recovered. That ended my butt problem.

I have the Clearview XL with vent and works great.

All 1999 to 2013 had wind deflectors.

If you lower the front the handling will worsen.

The bars from the RSTD worked great on my RSMV and are very comfortable for me.

:farmer:

I have a Russel Daylong seat. I really like it, but they're a little spendy. There are lots of people on here that have done the Butler Mod and can't say enough about it.

If you're not vertically challenged, the leveling links for Rick Butler or Diamond R are a good investment. I really like the improved handling. Have you gone to a 130 front tire. That helps a lot also.

I went with the 1 1/2 risers on mine, I used to get the burning between the shoulder blades. the risers pretty much got rid of that.

If you can find the newer pillow top stock seats you may notice they are a lot more comfortable but have the Butt Butler mod done on it. Ditto on the XL but buy the F4, slightly better IMHO.

Which lower wind deflectors are you referring to? the ones on each side of the fender (stock) or the aftermarket ones on the side of the lower fairing?

Try a smaller tire on the front, it may give you the results you are looking for.

Being a little vertically challenged, I went with 1 1/2" risers and the Flanders bar...

Thanks everyone, for the seat I was thinking either the Russel or Butler mod..either a good choice it seems.

I was only thinking of lower the front to improve handling like the link for the rear, I still have the stock 150 up front but will try the 130 when its shot.

Lowers wind deflectors I was refering to are the ones down on the fork below the fairing, beside the fender area...mine doesnt have any.

So a larger clearview, not sure what the f4 is but will look for it.

Keep the input coming, Im listening:)

Best two mods I've done are VMAX shaft drive and Stratoliner front wheel. Then might be, next larger slow jets with K&N filters and getting rid of AIS system so I don't have to work around that crap.....:cool10:

Stratoliner front wheel? I havent heard of that...tell me about it, pics? Vmax just for the lower gear. better acceleration? The higher rpm didnt bother you at all?

• 2 months later...

Mustang seat with backrest. All day comfort!

Question about risers? I just bought 1 1/2 risers and all the manufacturers say they all work with stock cables.

Am I missing something? I unbolted my bars and there is no slack whatsoever. What's the catch? Was hoping for a quick 10 minute job....

Stratoliner front wheel? I havent heard of that...tell me about it, pics? Vmax just for the lower gear. better acceleration? The higher rpm didnt bother you at all?

XV1900 Straoliner & Roadliners run a 130/70 R18 front tire (S models are nice shinny chrome) that reduces the weight of the front wheel while also going to the narrower 130 tire like some people swap onto the stock 16" wheel. IF you get lucky like I did you can also upgrade to the chrome floating rotors, too.

the VMax raises the engine speed by roughly 400 RPM relative to the same ground speed & gear. Most people who ride 2-up/Loaded or with a trailer say it moves the gear ratio's where 65mph @ 5th gear is right at the sweat spot for the engine. It also effectively shortens the gear ratios for faster acceleration through all the gears.

- Buttler mode on the seat - affordable way to extend your time in the saddle. Rick is a great guy, does an excellent job;

- I have a ClearView XL windshield and it works well for me. However, my wife still gets a lot of buffeting and it looks like we won't be able to take care of that since this is the biggest windshield there is for the bike. I got one with the vent and it was worth it (on a hot day and any time you want a bit of a breeze). Apparently, ClearView is the only one that you can apply RainX on it without hazing it. I don't like the fact that I'm looking through it rather than over it but I like the wind protection. Hopefully, RainX will help when rains...

- If you don't have lower wind deflectors, chances are the previous owner broke the OEM brackets that hold them. Very common thing cause OEM brackets are weak. I purchased a set of very strong brackets from Diamond R accessories but I'm not sure are they still making them. The deflectors make a huge difference!...

- Leveling links will improve the slow speed handling but it is a top heavy bike. I still haven't tried a 130 front tire... That's about all you can do to improve it a bit.

- Handlebar risers made a big difference for me. I have 1 1/2 inch ones and you don't need to change anything else, just bolt them on. You will have to "play" with the cables to make them fit the new position but they will work. You just need to be a little "creative" around the brake and clutch levers...

- Backrest is a single improvement that made the biggest difference for me! I even have a backrest on my Vstrom (dual-sport bike) and I'm now "spoiled" to the point that I will have to have a backrest on any bike in the future. Huge difference for me, comfort-wise.

- I have a knee wind deflectors I bought at this forum's Classifieds. They are working fine. Every bit helps...

- Highway pegs - a must!... You have to find a right position that would work for you, though....

- Kuryakyn grips with weights - helps with a grip over time. Also, weights help with the vibration...

- "Proper" air pressure in shocks - I ran 4 in front forks and around 35 in rear. Usually riding two-up (around 400 lb with a gear). I guess you can do 20-25 in rear for riding solo. Helps with handling. You need a good hand pump, preferably digital cause you want to be very precise especially for the front forks. Harley Davidson have a digital pump that works very well.

- You like a deeper sound? HD pipes are an affordable improvement. You can use Road King's, Ultra Classic's, Street Glide's,... I have a Screamin' Eagle with a downturns (thank you, Atoolnut!) and they have a nice deep sound and a good appearance. You'll need a mounting brackets (Ebay) and a clamps (Ebay).

Hope that helps...

• 2 years later...

An old thread I know but gives me ideas for some mods, glad I seen it.

I picked up the Venture back in September and managed to get in about 4500kms on her before the weather closed in on me, but any ideas to improve the slow speed maneuvering sound worth the effort.

Edited by Scifiman

An old thread I know but gives me ideas for some mods, glad I seen it.

I picked up the Venture back in September and managed to get in about 4500kms on her before the weather closed in on me, but any ideas to improve the slow speed maneuvering sound worth the effort.

The best two things:

130 front tire

Lower front by an inch. Free mod.

Keep tire pressures near top range of tires max.

The best two things:

130 front tire

Lower front by an inch. Free mod.

Keep tire pressures near top range of tires max.

Shame the tires are brand new I replaced about a month after I got the bike old ones were scalloped (cupped), might have to wait a bit on the 130, but will look into lowering the front. PO had the tires down around 35, pumped the new ones to the max and noticed a big difference in slow speed handling, every little bit helps.

Thanks

Shame the tires are brand new I replaced about a month after I got the bike old ones were scalloped (cupped), might have to wait a bit on the 130, but will look into lowering the front. PO had the tires down around 35, pumped the new ones to the max and noticed a big difference in slow speed handling, every little bit helps.

Thanks

Welcome,Dave.

Lots of posts on lowering front end. Pictures as well.

I've done it twice now, as I didn't go far enough first time. When I got a leaking shock, I went ahead and lowered front a tad more. Relatively easy.

Edited by videoarizona
Spelling