IGNORED

Put the stock mufflers back on

Dave77459

I have a couple long trips coming up, and decided I wanted to put the stock mufflers back on. A quieter ride == better rider endurance.

First off, I'd forgotten how good she sounds with the stock pipes. Not throaty and race-car like, but strong and powerful. Sneaky fast.

Secondly, I'd forgotten how hard it is to judge shift points with the stock pipes. I really didn't learn to ride her hard until I'd put on the Road King mufflers and could hear the engine wind up. Today, following a pair of Harleys, I couldn't hear when I reached the rev limiter. Not that it matters so much when you have a couple slow pokes in front of you, but a few times I let them ride ahead a bit so that I could zoom out.

If you are new to the RSV/RSTD world and have come from V-twins, I think you ought to try some louder pipes so you know how to rev it higher than the twin.

Third, I had to relearn to start my bike first so that I could hear it running. LOL

I like the F-1 sound the RKs give me, no doubt. They will be going back on between trips.

But for now, I'm digging the stock pipes! Anyone else return to the stock pipes?

Dave

Guest scarylarry

I been thinking about putting them on but, after reading this I might stand back and look at it again..

I like to hear the stereo down the interstate not loud pipes

Yep, put mine back on about 3 months ago. I have no regrets! I can hear the radio,CB and intercom with no problem now. The low end is better also. I have even had the originals that were drilled out, but I am going to stay stock this time......Ken

I rotate around between stock mufflers and Krome Werks turn outs with baffles and fiberglass packing and the Krome Werks with no baffles and packing. I'll run one way for a while and then decide to change it. I like all three combinations.

I find I tend to naturally shift higher with the stock mufflers, and with the loud mufflers I have to consciously do it.

I been thinking about putting them on but, after reading this I might stand back and look at it again..

I like to hear the stereo down the interstate not loud pipes

You were thinking of putting RKs on? I'd say do it. You can always go back. Of course, I got my pipes for free by asking the H-D dealer, so I just paid for clamps and brackets.

Yep, put mine back on about 3 months ago. I have no regrets! I can hear the radio,CB and intercom with no problem now. The low end is better also. I have even had the originals that were drilled out, but I am going to stay stock this time......Ken

It seems to me that I am getting better mileage too. Usually I am on low fuel at 114 miles, but I went 124 today with two bars left.

I rotate around between stock mufflers and Krome Werks turn outs with baffles and fiberglass packing and the Krome Werks with no baffles and packing. I'll run one way for a while and then decide to change it. I like all three combinations.

I find I tend to naturally shift higher with the stock mufflers, and with the loud mufflers I have to consciously do it.

I can easily see rotating around the different pipes. My bike does sound more impressive with the RKs on, and it feels faster for some reason. Different pipes for different reasons, I guess. :)

Dave

:12101:I put the stocks back on a couple months back after a year with rk's and i'm staying with them for sure. T he throttle response seems crisper with stocks and now i can hear the radio. p.s. cure for the whine, ac/dc back in black "cranked" and soft earplugs.

Dave,I had put my stocks back on several months ago after the Arkansas Rally..I found riding all day was stressing me out so bad I couldnt seem to ride as well as I use to..go figure..Anyway It made a world of difference in my stress level. I know some like them and I MISS the sound but not for me as I do LONG runs and after days of riding the noise gets to me. Now watch out for cops..I tend to run 80-90 alot more and have found it necessary to use the cruise control more due to the quietness and smoothness.Im going to leave the stocks on my new wing and use the CRUISE Alot!

Yup, putting stocks back on. Trading my Bubs to Squidley for a set of stocks. Want the quieter pipes since I am doing mostly LD riding this summer. If I am going for a short (under 100 miles) putt around, I take the KLR.

Looking forward to hearing what the stocks sound like. I bought my bike used with the Bubs installed. They need repacked, so they are pretty loud. Prefer quiet (must be getting old).

RR

Your low fuel light is on at 114-124? What kind of mileage are you getting? We are getting 40-42 and the low fuel light normally doesn't come on until about 157-160. I think 135 is about the earliest it has ever come on.

You were thinking of putting RKs on? I'd say do it. You can always go back. Of course, I got my pipes for free by asking the H-D dealer, so I just paid for clamps and brackets.

It seems to me that I am getting better mileage too. Usually I am on low fuel at 114 miles, but I went 124 today with two bars left.

I can easily see rotating around the different pipes. My bike does sound more impressive with the RKs on, and it feels faster for some reason. Different pipes for different reasons, I guess. :)

Dave

Your low fuel light is on at 114-124? What kind of mileage are you getting? We are getting 40-42 and the low fuel light normally doesn't come on until about 157-160. I think 135 is about the earliest it has ever come on.

I have been getting low to mid 30s on Houston fuel -- heavy on the additives. I've gotten 40s when out of town and not dropping the hammer. I think 156 is the farthest I've ever gotten on a tank of gas, and that was with 30 miles on the low fuel count-up.

I think alot of this confusion is he rides a RS TOUR DELUXE..smaller tank.........

Yes, that's right Tom. Smaller tank + big windscreen + heavy wrist == RSTD :)

Dave

Ours is a tour deluxe too - and that has nothing to do with miles/gal.

My heavy wrist has put me down to 10k on a rear elite 3 but still getting 40-42 MPG.

Have gotten 190 on a tank and could have made 200 (not typical) but 157 for the low fuel light is our norm. 1 or 2 up - Actually get better mileage 2 up since somehow she controls the throttle better from the back seat than I do from the front.

Just seemed like your mileage might be suffering from something. We were getting the same mileage(40-42) with the stock windshield - now have the batwing with 8" shield and extra lowers. I think the drag is probably very similar.

and, we have a lot more mountain riding than Houston.

but, I just noticed he said 2 bars left at 124 - our low fuel light doesn't come on until it hits one bar. (occasionally, it will come on on the kick stand and then back to 2 bars when I stand it up or take a right curve but only if it was down low and close to tripping to one bar anyway)

No big deal - just giving the thought that mileage sounds a little low. :scratchchin:

I have been getting low to mid 30s on Houston fuel -- heavy on the additives. I've gotten 40s when out of town and not dropping the hammer. I think 156 is the farthest I've ever gotten on a tank of gas, and that was with 30 miles on the low fuel count-up.

Yes, that's right Tom. Smaller tank + big windscreen + heavy wrist == RSTD :)

Dave