IGNORED

Michigan Helmet Law

rickardracing

Methinks a few folk are feeling a tad defensive.

Please read back ... I did not call anyone stupid or idiotic. I described the act of riding a motorcycle without a crash helmet, as both.

However, most of my ire is and was directed not against people here, but against a State Legislature that abandoned it's responsibility for the safety of it's citizens, by rolling back important legislation.

Yes, I believe that riding a motorcycle without head protection is both stupid and idiotic, however, if you feel it more civil I would happily exchange those pejorative terms for "grossly irresponsible".

Defending such actions as part of our "Freedoms" is simply nonsensical. Clearly you are free to choose, in a State that allows such choices, but it isn't an exercise of "Freedom". Freedoms are fought for, and died for. Irresponsible behaviour should not be equated to this.

I said nothing to all the folk who had previously declared that they made a personal choice to willingly put themselves in danger of death, or more severe injury. They make that choice, it's a matter for them.

However, it is also a fact (like it or not), that extended hospital stays, and years of rehab are not paid for just by your insurance premiums, they are paid for by us all, and I am perfectly entitled to point that out without the sarcastic reply which has drawn no comment and must be, therefore, be your definition of "civil".

It's not mine.

As I said before ... Talk among yourselves. I expressed a view, and I am done with this subject now :)

Also, please remember that the $20K in medical coverage required by this law is, literally, Nothing. A helicopter ride to the ER and the first 30 minutes of treatment will take care of that, from then on..... I agree that people have to make their own choices, but please, for you own sake and the sake of those who care about YOU, "think" before you ride. Ride safe and watch out for the cages!!:backinmyday:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry twigg, but you did call people who ride without their lids "idiots". dont backpeddle your stance now....if you put a helmet on a wreckless human, you still have a wreckless human. i would bet that the intelligence of the rider has nothing to do with the amount of riders who die in accidents. i would guess that the accident, probably, occured because of several other reasons. like, faulty equipment, rider fatigue, or dui. the fact is, that people ride like that ,with or without their helmets. and, as a result of those conditions, they are more likely to be involved in an accident, greatly increasing the likelyhood of serious injury or death. regardless, of whether they wear a lid or not. so maybe the point should be about education, not legislation.

Anyone taking out that life insurance policy I talked about before can contact me for my addy. Please make it atleast a 250k policy please.:stirthepot:

250k policy please.:stirthepot:

A buck a mile for for all the miles I've ridden, :scratchchin:

I don't think so.:no-no-no:

Please enjoy riding with whatever gear makes you comfortable doing so.;)

But please understand both sides, and let the rest of us enjoy riding dressed how we are comfortable as well.:thumbsup2:

P.S. Karen says that we are born in the USA, freedom of choice is a constitutional right. There are risks in everything we do in life, not just being on a motorcycle. Karen

Later, Scooter Bob and Karen

PSS, Unfortunatetly, lots of motorcyclists die each year in this helmet choice state while wearing helmets.

In a country where an unborn fetus' life can be ended lawfully, why are motorcycle helmets and seat belts required? Just doesn't make sense at all. The United States government has very little morals but they are concerned about the safety of motorcyclist. WOW!

I often read ,but I don't get involved with this type of bickering everyone seems to have their opinions,I believe in freedom of choice, re: Canada and the statement that we have no choice"mandatory helmets".

Manitoba was the last place in Canada to bring in the law "1984" But we have a "medical exemption" for a bonafied reason. WE have to see a Doctor and we are given a card to show the police if we are stopped. The nice thing is some of us are able to continue riding, where if we where compelled to wear a crash helmet some of us would not be able to enjoy our days of fresh air and freedom. "Let those who ride decide"

Freedom is worth fighting for... " Mobile "

ps: the reason for the exemption has to made by a medical Doctor who has checked you over, and then issued by the Motor Vehicle Dept.

prediction...

Living will/end of life requirement in all of our insurance policies in the next 5-10 years...

PEIA in WV hs been pushing for it for five years and is promisng a reducton in insurance rates... sooner or later they are gonna get it...

If not, they will make the insurance rates so high that people will be forced to make them.

This "no helmet law" and total distain from other common sense approaches (seat belts, anti drug devices in motor vehicles etc.. so on and so forth) shall only expidiite the process...

Bona petite!:missingtooth:

• 2 weeks later...
remember that the $20K in medical coverage required by this law is, literally, Nothing. A helicopter ride to the ER and the first 30 minutes of treatment will take care of that,

Why would it cost 20 grand for a helicopter ride and 30 min of treatment.

This makes absolutley no sense. Who is robbing who, the criminals or the good guys ? :think:

Brad

Why would it cost 20 grand for a helicopter ride and 30 min of treatment.

This makes absolutley no sense. Who is robbing who, the criminals or the good guys ? :think:

Brad

Work out the answer to that question, Brad, and you will have nailed "Health Care Reform"

:)

$20k would be about right for a life flight depending on the distance. Gotta charge the extra money to cover the hospital costs of all the poeple that turned themselves into turnips when their head hit the pavement not wearing a helmet. It IS their right to do so and our responsibility to pick up the tab. As far as I am concerned and this will be the last time I post on the subject.

You have the right to wear or not wear a helmet. I get that and agree with it. But....insurance companies should send out a form asking whether or not you ride with a helmet. If not, you pay a higher premium. Your medical insurance company should do the same. Also there should be a limit on payment for medical treatment if you get into an accident without your brain bucket. Once you hit that limit, sorry Charley, you released from the hospital and left on your own. You did it to yourself, you now pay yourself. Not me, not any other taxpayer or other patients through higher charges. It's called action, reaction. Kind of like sticking your hand in fire. Guess what jackass, you get burned.

Again, I have no issue with someone riding without a helmet. Do as you wish. Just do not expect everyone else to pick up the tab. That's my opinion, I am done on the subject and will no longer check this thread. Hopefully it gets deleted or locked. This thread was started simply to let poeple know that the law had been changed. But, as usual, it turned into a pi$$ing match with petty bickering.