IGNORED

Trunk Rack Bag

Thanks again for the input on a trunk rack. I'm getting one. Now, what about bags for it. Had a trunk rack bag on my GW 1500 way back when but can't remember the brand.

I'm looking at the Star model but wonder if anyone has something they like better. Any input appreciated.

I have the Saddlemen Stallion bag. It's made of heavy waterproof treated nylon. It has a nice attachment system built in (D rings along the bottom edges), a bungee-web for quickly stowing a jacket or sweatshirt, and a decent amount of storage. I've had it along for 3,000-mile trips and have not Brend disappointed. Every Saddlemen product I've ever had has been top-notch.

Edited by SteveP

Guest Saddletramp

I have a Kuryaken that is called their Deluxe Convertible Luggage Rack Bag. It has its own self contained weather cover which stows away inside itself. Not to large so that you won't be overloading the recommended weight limits for the trunk lid. It has self contained bungees and velcro straps. Short and sweet, I like it!!! This can be seen in the JP catalog on pg.294. They advertise it to fit GL models but it fits the Yamaha stock rack also.:detective:

I'm looking at the Star model but wonder if anyone has something they like better. Any input appreciated.

I've tried them all. Your best bet for the $$ and weather protection is getting any of the non-motorcycle-specific dry bags from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops or Gander or some similar outfitter. I found a waterproof tackle bag with a rigid bottom at Cabela's which is a perfect fit for the rack. They have similar bags for hunting, camping, backpacking, fishing, etc. Usually less expensive than moto-brand bags and better made. Good luck.

Edited by Two Tone White

On my '07 trunk rack, I use a Dowco Iron Rider bag. Self supporting with rain cover, it fits the rack curves well enough.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/iron-rider-luggage-from-dowco-3906.html

I am not sure which of the 3 models shown I have. With mine expanded (ends unzipped) it just touches the antennas. Zip in, it just overhangs the trunk rack. Because it is self supporting, it does weigh a bit or pure soft bags. but not bad.

- Mike

• 3 weeks later...

If you need rain covers for your leather bags (like the BOSS bag I am hoping to buy for my trunk luggage rack)- check out the T-BAG company accessories. You can find a variety of rain covers for your leather bags.

Birin

http://www.tbags.com/products.aspx?CategoryID=11

Nice looking bags. Do they come with a weather cover? Leather is grand until it gets wet.

• 1 year later...

We have the Bestem set for sadddlebags,trunk liner and rack back. We love them. When we get to where we are going all four bags have the carry handles for easy unloading. All the bags are built just like the star bags and the rack bag has several outside pockets. It has velcro straps for attaching it to the rack but I still put a couple of bungies on it. I always over tie thinks to be sure nothing comes loose.

The Bestem trunk bag looks like the current Star Line bag, which looks like the old original VentureLine bag from the First Gen with three outside pockets added. I've been using an original VentureLine bag since the early nineties. It's still a great trunk bag.

The Star bag mentions a rain cover, the Bestem does not. Mine does not have a rain cover. Since I use it for our rain suits and a soft cooler most of the time that's not an issue, though it went all the way across Nebraska in the driving rain without leaking.