IGNORED

Trike steering?

StuD

Dose anyone use a steering damper on their trike? The steering on the trike I'm building seems loose(easy to turn) thinking it may give me a wobble at speed or in turns. Have not road tested yet, working on fairings & paint Thinking I may need a damper.Looking for ideas. Thanks (work in progress) :canada::canada::canada:

never built a trike but I did own 2 of them. Both were 1500 GoldWings - one had "easy steer" and the second did not.

The one had a 3 1/2 degree "rake" and I didn't like it at all. was too easy to steer

the second one wasn't altered and it seemed ( to me) to be just right. A lot of guys say it's too hard to steer if the triple tree isn't 'raked'

you problly need to tighten up the steering head bearings. i tightened up mine a little tighter than my 2 wheel as the trike seems to wobble more than it. i also put a little more air in the front tire and it helps out a lot.

i have not heard of a steering dampner on a trike, with a sidecar yes. but i not saying it can't be done. i have a '99 rsv motor trike converson, bought it used and only have had it a few months. my understanding the only option i have to inprove the steering is to rake the front end. with a kit from hangann that cost $1,000.00. i have installed 1&1/2 " risers from barons but have not noticed that munch inprovement.

reguards

don c.

Got standard rake on mine, its fine to me. One thing though, plan on a new front when you finish up. Tires wear different on trikes, have a old front from a 2 wheeler you'll have shake for sure.

As Taz says you'll probably need to tighten up the neck bearings. It does make a huge difference after doing that. Ez Steer recommends 25 ft lbs of torque. That's a bunch more them Yamaha says in the service book.

My trike is raked and only rarely gets to shaking the front end. Mostly when going over rough roads or rail road tracks.

Hope this helped, Larry

So there is no one with info re steering damper for use on a trike? The custom shop Azzkickers has a steering damper on one of their custom trikes that is where I saw it & just wondered if there is any out there in Ventureland. Will need to dig deeper. :canada::canada::canada::canada: