IGNORED

I sure got spoiled fast!

pbjman

I recently got a 99 RSV. Rode about 100 miles to bring it home and have now accumulated just over 500 miles on it.

So I was looking at my other bike the other day, a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim that I have had for 3-1/2 years and put about 14,000 miles on it....and decided I should take it out to top off the gas and add some seafom since I probably won't ride it anymore this year.

Now I would have expected it to feel small, and even though I know that I like the RSV waaayyyy better, that I would at least feel comfortable/familiar on my Maxim.

NOT!!!

I was just shocked at how different it felt. I felt scrunched up on it. I don't like the way it goes. I don't like the way it stops. I missed the brake pedal twice. I don't like the way it feels or sounds. I can't believe that less than a month ago, I rode two-up for 810 miles in 2-1/2 days and went 300 miles away from home on it! I mean, it's still a good little bike and treated me well, and hopefully it will be a good beginner bike for someone else soon with it's cute little fairing and cute little trunk. (It is for sale now. Hopefully to raise $ for driving lights, rear light bar, maybe a hitch and tag-along trailer!) Anyone else have a similar experience?

Been there, done that in 2005. 1st a Honda 750 Night hawk, and then the 85 Venture,,, same feelings, same results, only difference is that I had a 1st Gen and you got 'stuck' with a 2nd gen,,,,,, now if you really want to ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I shouldn't say it,, not on a Venture Forum anyways.

Yup, I have an 85 Nighthawk 700s. I never ride it anymore, and keep thinking I need to sell it, but when I take it out for a quick spin, just to keep it fresh, I'm amazed at how tiny a bike it is, but I LOVE the performance, the sound and the styling of the bike, and fall in love with it all over again. That bike was way ahead of it's time. :cool10:

After not riding for nearly 30 years, I got back into it with a Road Star. Six months later I bought my Venture. The Venture is my everyday ride and I often get the notion of selling the RS as I don't take it out that often. But when I do thoughts of selling it disappear. For sure they are different rides and I enjoy them both. One is my Miata, the other my Cadillac.

I'll bet that most of us have been through that. One of my favorite memories from my teenage years was riding me Honda CL350 all over the place. I put many miles on that bike and had such fond memories of it. A few years ago, I found one in near showroom condition and bought it. Had it delivered from somewhere in Minnesota and couldn't wait for it to arrive and take it for a spin. It did bring back some great memories but felt like it came from Toy's R Us or something. :)

Had a Honda Sabre 1100 for 2.5 yrs. Great bike, but they feel way too small now. I'll never go back.

I don't mind jumping on my ZRX1100 though. Now that's some fun!

Additionally, Every time I ride my friends Honda VTX1800, I say, give me my bike back!

And to think I almost bought one before my RSTD!

You can see the list in the signature. After my beginner course (on assorted 250's) I bought a vstar 950 and put 10000km on it first season, then traded it in on the RSTD. I test-rode the entire herd before I bought them. The 250 I bought for my wife and 2nd son to learn on. It's a fun little scoot, but I needed a prybar to get it out of my butt crack after riding it. It gets run occasionally to keep it lubed and maintained while it waits for my 2 youngest to get old enough to ride.

Oldest son's and wife's 650s are nice bikes, just not enough horse for me after the RSTD and the Venture. When I bought the 950 for 2nd son I thought it'd feel like going home to my first bike. Not so much. I rode it around for a bit, checked it out, told my son I really liked it, which I do, and walked back to my bike thinking "It sure ain't a venture".

I can't go back to the 950 as my regular steed, but it's fun for an occasional hop.

I got my 05' Venture for the back seat.. nothing more nothing less. My girl has a.... uh well.. lets just say baby got back and the Yammer slammer Raider I have, has a sliver of a passenger seat. We could only ride an hour or so before she would be in pain. Being that I truly love that backside and want to make absolutely sure it is spoiled in luxury, I decided to get the Venture. Our first ride lasted a total of 7.5 hours. Yup, that bootaay is happaay. And I am surprised at the easy, almost sport like, handling of the Venture, even though its 60-80 lbs heavier than the Raider. On the Raider the seating position is jokingly called the flying C. The stock set up is less than a comfortable for long haul touring. ( my opinion here ) However the Raider's 1900 v twin hauls buttox! GOBBS of torque that will raise the hair on the back of your neck when you put the spur's to it. With that said, the Raider doesn't handle no where near as nice as the Venture. The Raider is longer and I have it outfitted with a 240 Avon rear. The length and wide tire size makes the bike a little stiff in the corners in comparison.

So.. I have two bikes and will keep both. When the temps get to hot and the fairing doesn't give me enough air to keep cool, (fat man syndrome) I'll hop on the Raider and let my hair fly... err um.. I'm bald... so... you get the idea. :cool10:

Freebird- I had a CL350 too. It was my first road bike about four or five years ago. Only rode it for one season but every time I went somewhere I would get comments from guys saying "oh look at that scrambler" or "I had one like that, seeing that sure brings back memories"

Madcow - yeah my wife likes this one a lot more too

I too have a 650 Maxim, and yes, I feel like a circus bear on a bicycle when I ride it. The only thing is that I've had that Maxim for over 20 years, and it's been sooooo reliable that I can't get rid of it. My 14 y.o. son wants it, so that's probably what it will be kept for.

It is a lot more nimble than the Venture at low speed tho.

-Andrew

Well I won't be too upset if the Max doesn't sell. At least not until after I get to my other bike : 1979 XS11 Special with touring package. I've never even ridden it cuz it's a project but I suspect that will be my "spare" bike once I get it running and roadworthy.

Been there, done that in 2005. 1st a Honda 750 Night hawk, and then the 85 Venture,,, same feelings, same results, only difference is that I had a 1st Gen and you got 'stuck' with a 2nd gen,,,,,, now if you really want to ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I shouldn't say it,, not on a Venture Forum anyways.

Oh come on Carl,, dont be afraid,, you know you want to..:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Wow very interesting the bikes mentioned here. My son has a Maxim 750 that he's had since he was 15. and still riding it at 24. My ex had a Nighthawk 700 S , and I have a Sabre 1100 I've owned since new. The poor sabre hardly gets ridden any more but I just can bring myself to sell it because its still so fast and burly. But when i bought it back in 85 I wanted a Venture and now I have have one in the color I always wanted too.:thumbsup2:

Well I did 420 more miles 2-up on the RSV this weekend, going from home to a tour around michigan's thumb. Our first overnight trip with the venture!

Likes would include:

1. This thing has legs! The two up comfort and large gas tank means we break much less frequently. I filled up after 191 miles and put in 5.03 gallons. The reserve trip meter had 27 on it.

2. The bike feels so sure and sturdy. The thumb has lots of open farmland and with most travel being north/south the crosswinds can be nasty. (They put wind turbines all over the region for this reason) and the rsv held its ground in the crosswind

3. Large luggage capacity

4. Power! I love it's smooth cruising power whether passing trucks or pushing through headwinds. I like the gearing, too. Because of my history on the maxim, I'm accustomed to letting the motor spin a little. So it feels about normal to keep her in third cruising at 50-55 and in fourth right up to 65-70. OD feels like its best suited for 70+

Lovin this bike!

I recently got a 99 RSV. Rode about 100 miles to bring it home and have now accumulated just over 500 miles on it.

So I was looking at my other bike the other day, a 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim that I have had for 3-1/2 years and put about 14,000 miles on it....and decided I should take it out to top off the gas and add some seafom since I probably won't ride it anymore this year.

Now I would have expected it to feel small, and even though I know that I like the RSV waaayyyy better, that I would at least feel comfortable/familiar on my Maxim.

NOT!!!

I was just shocked at how different it felt. I felt scrunched up on it. I don't like the way it goes. I don't like the way it stops. I missed the brake pedal twice. I don't like the way it feels or sounds. I can't believe that less than a month ago, I rode two-up for 810 miles in 2-1/2 days and went 300 miles away from home on it! I mean, it's still a good little bike and treated me well, and hopefully it will be a good beginner bike for someone else soon with it's cute little fairing and cute little trunk. (It is for sale now. Hopefully to raise $ for driving lights, rear light bar, maybe a hitch and tag-along trailer!) Anyone else have a similar experience?

Wouldnt mind seeing the add for the maxim is it in the classifieds?:whistling:

Wouldnt mind seeing the add for the maxim is it in the classifieds?:whistling:

I can't access classifieds on here right now. Not on the desktop PC and not on my Iphone. I guess it's to do with the new forums? (I don't have an ad there anyway.)

Anyway, it is on the detroit craigslist. Search "maxim algonac" (I won't put the link here in case it's not permitted.)

So I went out for a little solo ride today; probably about 70 miles with temps in the mid 40's but sunny.

I wore non-insulated boots, flannel-lined jeans, non insulated gloves, and my leather jacket with a sweatshirt hoodie underneath. Due to the good wind protection of the Venture, I was quite comfortable just cruising around with the radio on.