IGNORED

Not m/c related..............

DragonRider

Came home 2 days ago from picking one of my grandsons up from school and as I got out of my car I heard a loud noise like a weed eater, it turned out to be a news helicopter hoovering almost directly over my house, earlier before I got home I saw a news van heading toward my subdivision, so I turned on the channel that the truck was from and soon found out what was going on. Now we have lived in this community for 13 years and its has it share of break ins and such, but now its getting too close to me. 4 weeks ago there was a home invasion just steps away from my house, man and a woman broke in and were looking for someone that wasn't there and left, now this. This street is directly behind my house and if I had been awake I just might have heard something. It was a double homicide of 2 young men. The wife and I are now thinking twice about staying here.

Good news is by midnight the Coweta County Sheriff's Office had made arrest of 2 suspects an 18 yr old male and a 26 yr old female.

http://www.times-herald.com/local/20141020-two-dead-corn-crib-homicide2014-10-20T15-31-56

Edited by DragonRider

Sure glad it was not you and Charleen there Lewis..

It is a known fact that times are changing fast in every state, city and neighborhood Lewis.

No one is immune to what is going on in their neighborhoods. If people don't get to know their neighbors and work together to watch out for each other, break-ins, robberies and murder can and will happen.

Last year, I had the police and 56 of my neighbors in my driveway starting up a neighborhood watch. Since then I know many of my neighbors and they wave or beep as they pass the house. I am always looking for the unusual vehicle or person. I have already called the police 4 times and each time someone was caught. Once a pour guy was just visiting his girlfriend down the street but he parked his car next door to my house and walked down the sidewalk to her palce. That didn't look right to me so I called the cops. We all laughed when the guy came out of the house and walked back up the street to his car. Cops were teasing him about secretly seeing the lady down the street..

Two weeks ago, I was just invited to a city arranged (free) dinner and given an award by the local police neighborhood watch program for being the most active person in my neighborhood.

We have a site called https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/ that we use on a daily basis to keep up with anything related to security and safety including classifieds and other section of interest. Once a person signs up on this site, every time someone posts a security breach message on the site, you get an instant email and or an instant message sent to your cell phone, however you want it set up.

Click on the link and choose your state and see if you already have a neighborhood section listed. If not get it going for you and your neighbors. Hey Its free..:thumbsup2:

We have a site called https://nextdoor.com/find-neighborhood/ that we use on a daily basis to keep up with anything related to security and safety including classifieds and other section of interest. Once a person signs up on this site, every time someone posts a security breach message on the site, you get an instant email and or an instant message sent to your cell phone, however you want it set up.

Click on the link and choose your state and see if you already have a neighborhood section listed. If not get it going for you and your neighbors. Hey Its free..

We use the same site here Eck. Great way to keep up with neighborhood gossip and events.

The question is where can you go these days to feel safer?

Despite yesterday's action in Ottawa....Canada is the place to feel safer !:canada:

Yesterday was an isolated action. I don't feel any less safe because of the action of one person. This type of thing is rare in Canada.

I grew up in Saanich on Vancouver Island. We never locked our doors. I lived in Richmond and worked at the Vancouver airport for 11 years. We never locked our doors. I have lived on Saltspring for 37 years and have yet to lock our doors. The few murders in Vancouver/Surrey/Langley are all drug related (NRP...no real people involved). The last shooting death on Saltspring happened 40 years ago when someone gave a mentally challenged guy a gun and told him to play cowboy.

I feel safe here.

Despite yesterday's action in Ottawa....Canada is the place to feel safer !:canada:

Yesterday was an isolated action. I don't feel any less safe because of the action of one person. This type of thing is rare in Canada.

Don,

My wife and I saw the Ottawa story on the national news this morning and both of us looked at each other with our mouths open and a "what the???" look on our faces. My wife made the statement "nobody dislikes Canada, what the heck were they thinking". LOL.

I grew up in Saanich on Vancouver Island. We never locked our doors. I lived in Richmond and worked at the Vancouver airport for 11 years. We never locked our doors. I have lived on Saltspring for 37 years and have yet to lock our doors. The few murders in Vancouver/Surrey/Langley are all drug related (NRP...no real people involved). The last shooting death on Saltspring happened 40 years ago when someone gave a mentally challenged guy a gun and told him to play cowboy.

I feel safe here.

Snaggletooth,

This is obviously the answer to where can we go to be safe?

That's why I live out in the boonies. I could never go back to urban / suburban life. I love livin' in the woods.:cool10:

Raised my kids on 50 acres with 5000 acres of state land right out the back door... 5 miles of gravel roads and our driveway began where the roadway ended.. Two tracks, snowmobile trail, single track dirt bike trails, heated with wood, BEST DEER HUNTING IN MICHIGAN, kids had CARS instead of go carts,, they raised Beagles and Rabbits for pets :rotf:.. Last one moved out (back home now) to go to College, sold the place and moved into this "Resort" area.. Its very nice here BUT,,, Unc,,, gotta say,, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YA - AINT NOTHING LIKE LIVING IN THE WOODS - MISS IT EVERYDAY!!!

This type of thing is rare in Canada.

For now. If this was indeed motivated by some crazy hateful religious rhetoric, there definitely won't be just one or two. *sigh* The world is losing its collective mind, I swear.

That said, the town I live in has gone to absolute crap lately. Two years ago nobody in this town would even utter the word "heroin", now it's popping up in the news more and more.

People ask me why I choose to pack heat. This is why. Cities change, neighborhoods change, and there is such a thing as evil in the world. This seems to be a growing trend though. This is neither the first such story I've heard this year nor the fiftieth. I've lost count at this point.

...People ask me why I choose to pack heat. This is why. Cities change, neighborhoods change, and there is such a thing as evil in the world. This seems to be a growing trend though. This is neither the first such story I've heard this year nor the fiftieth. I've lost count at this point.

Not to start a debate on guns or steal the thread...but difference in Canada is that the attitude of most citizens in Canada wouldn't be to start arming themselves. We would say there should be a few more security people at the entrance to Parliament but that would be it.

Metal detectors at the entrance? No...that would spoil the look of the building.

If I wanted to buy a gun more powerful than a pellet gun....I don't know where I would get one. They don't sell them at Walmart here. We don't have gun shops on every corner. Our way would be to go to Tim Horton's (that we have on most corners) and have a debate/discussion.

If you look at why ISIS or other terrorist organizations would attack Canada...it's because we offer token support for U.S. policy. We aren't taking "real" aggressive action against ISIS. We sent six F18's in a support role. Would be different if it were a peace keeping mission...then you'll see Canada on the front lines with troops on the ground.

Different attitude. Different response to actions. Debate, discuss, learn about and understand people of different cultures and beliefs, respect others. The "Civilized" approach. That is Canada. But...take aggressive action against us...you'll be sorry.

For example...the Sergeant-at-Arms in Parliament and Provincial legislatures is seen as a ceremonial position. I didn't know one of his responsibilities is security. He was leading the police and security against the attacker and is credited with taking the fatal shot. In 29 years of RCMP work he never fired his gun. But against an attacker...watch out !

Edited by XV1100SE

Been to Canada maybe 6 or 8 times in my life, and don't remember having any bad experiences there. With the similar cultures and shared borders, it's a natural ally to the US.

I do love Canada, but it's a shame that they don't trust their responsible citizens with firearms.

(I'd like to see the place that has a gun shop on every corner) It sounds pretty cool, but, in my travels, I've never come across it. :confused24:

1o, 9, 8, 7,...........:whistling:

Canada is a peace loving country but we are armed. It is just much more difficult to get guns and there are thorough background checks. Unfortunately extremists do have their supporters willing to give them guns.

"Well may the world read a lesson, well may it learn and be wise; not to the strong is the battle; not to the swift is the prize; loud is the boast of the despot, clanking his nation in arms, but beware of a peace loving people when they sweep from their forests and farms."

Robert Stead, canadian poet.

That's a great idea I'm taking to my new neighborhood.

We are moving end of Nov. Nice place, not so nice area. High crime rate. Unfortunately I'm losing my garage and will only have a carport and a shed. Shed is big enuf to get the scoot in but access is difficult, especially getting it out. So, parking the scoot in the carport is the only option. Bought a security camera system, motorcycle alarm system, and caliper lock. Neighbors are all older, retired folk and they do keep a close watch. Having such a website seems like a good idea for this area.

That said, talking with current owner and a couple of the neighbors, there hasn't been many incidents in this particular community which consists of appx 100 homes.

I can certainly help you folks out. I have thought about selling out and moving a bit further south. It is VERY safe where I'm located. Never an issue of any kind. So who wants to buy me out? :)

Want to? .... YES

Can? ... unfortuantely NO :crying: