IGNORED

Not m/c related..............

DragonRider

As a lot of you know, I just moved. Other than wanting a shorter commute, we looked for an area with a low crime area, and amazingly, we found it. we love the area, we have a rental on an acre in the woods, out in the county, no crime, and a quiet place. Sadly I'm still unpacking. So Lewis, there are oasis' everywhere, it might be worth househunting again. I use an app on my phone called life360, it gives me crime stats based on my gps location, Mike can also track my phone to keep tabs on me, given my health issues it gives everyone in the house peace of mind about my day.

I can say now that I've lived in small communities or country homes most of my life here in upstate New York. Never had a problem, can't tell you how many times we went to bed at nights doors unlocked. Only had a 22. rifle for plinken varments.

My heart goes out to our Canadian bretheren , especial the wives and families of the two soldiers killed the last two weeks. Sadly the guy they killed was a recent convert and troubled with an extensive police record. not representative of the Muslim community at large and doing his new found faith a terrible disservice.

Not to start a debate on guns or steal the thread...but difference in Canada is that the attitude of most citizens in Canada wouldn't be to start arming themselves. We would say there should be a few more security people at the entrance to Parliament but that would be it.

Metal detectors at the entrance? No...that would spoil the look of the building.

If I wanted to buy a gun more powerful than a pellet gun....I don't know where I would get one. They don't sell them at Walmart here. We don't have gun shops on every corner. Our way would be to go to Tim Horton's (that we have on most corners) and have a debate/discussion.

If you look at why ISIS or other terrorist organizations would attack Canada...it's because we offer token support for U.S. policy. We aren't taking "real" aggressive action against ISIS. We sent six F18's in a support role. Would be different if it were a peace keeping mission...then you'll see Canada on the front lines with troops on the ground.

Different attitude. Different response to actions. Debate, discuss, learn about and understand people of different cultures and beliefs, respect others. The "Civilized" approach. That is Canada. But...take aggressive action against us...you'll be sorry.

For example...the Sergeant-at-Arms in Parliament and Provincial legislatures is seen as a ceremonial position. I didn't know one of his responsibilities is security. He was leading the police and security against the attacker and is credited with taking the fatal shot. In 29 years of RCMP work he never fired his gun. But against an attacker...watch out !

An individual can't really depend on the police protecting them. They can investigate the crime afterwards. I never felt the need to carry a weapon until I worked in Homestead FL for over 3 1/2 yrs. There is so much crime in southern FL that most people live in gated, fenced in, guarded communities. If you live outside your home will be burglarized on a regular basis. FL makes it easy to get a cc permit especially if you are a veteran. You don't have to take a training class. I got mine in less than 2 weeks. Where I live in NC I feel safe. There is an occasional burglary. The last one was a neighbor kid on drugs who tried to go through a window next door to steal something in order to buy drugs. He is currently in jail.

That's kind of the thing here. According to our own court system, the police have no duty to protect an individual. I live in a small, relatively quiet town. In the last year or so hard drugs have crept in. In the last two years two friends of mine have been involved in violent encounters, one of which a guy came at him out of nowhere and tried to cut him to ribbons. By the time anybody gets to you to help you might be long gone.

As far as the incidents to the north lately, my condolences. Sadly, if things keep up as they are this may become widespread. I hate to even think about it, but when people preach murder...

I think....

As some of you know, we are getting ready to sell our home and all the contents...basically going to sell everything we have (with the exception of a few things going to our kids)...and we are going to buy an RV and hit the road full time.

It's a bit scary to think I won't have an actual home to go to. And let me just say that in all the years we have lived here in TN we have never had any trouble at all. We didn't live in a big city, mostly we lived in the country with few if any neighbors.

However, I am tired of working and Don is restless. So the RV makes perfect sense. We can travel all over the country and even planning to visit Canada. So if the area gets rough, we just pack up and move on. I have alot of places on my "bucket list" that I want to see. Anyway...we are going to list the house next Spring, probably around March..and when it sells (I do say WHEN IT SELLS) we will purchase the RV, I can retire, and we will hit the road. Hope to visit with alot of our VR friends. Sound like fun?

Patti

That is out of the question, just retired and we are now depending on SS for our income, cant afford to move. When we moved in this neighborhood 13 years ago it was very quiet, no problems, very quiet, there were a couple of not so good neighbors, but it was that they had no pride in their surroundings, didn't keep the place up and were just plain white trash. The first incidents started happening about 3 years ago with it first murder, the first home invasion started 3 doors down soon afterwards, and then it started escalating. Now the problems have gotten violent and has this neighborhood is on alert. I would love to do what Don and Patti are doing, but Charlene wont have any part of that, I have talked that up and she shoots it down. I guess the next step is do like Eck, start a neighborhood watch program. We also have our CCW and hope and pray we don't have to use them.

As a lot of you know, I just moved. Other than wanting a shorter commute, we looked for an area with a low crime area, and amazingly, we found it. we love the area, we have a rental on an acre in the woods, out in the county, no crime, and a quiet place. Sadly I'm still unpacking. So Lewis, there are oasis' everywhere, it might be worth househunting again. I use an app on my phone called life360, it gives me crime stats based on my gps location, Mike can also track my phone to keep tabs on me, given my health issues it gives everyone in the house peace of mind about my day.
Edited by DragonRider

That is out of the question, just retired and we are now depending on SS for our income, cant afford to move. When we moved in this neighborhood 13 years ago it was very quiet, no problems, very quiet, there were a couple of not so good neighbors, but it was that they had no pride in their surroundings, didn't keep the place up and were just plain white trash. The first incidents started happening about 3 years ago with it first murder, the first home invasion started 3 doors down soon afterwards, and then it started escalating. Now the problems have gotten violent and has this neighborhood is on alert. I would love to do what Don and Patti are doing, but Charlene wont have any part of that, I have talked that up and she shoots it down. I guess the next step is do like Eck, start a neighborhood watch program. We also have our CCW and hope and pray we don't have to use them.

The more I hear things like this... the more glad I am that I live in Canada !

• 3 months later...
Been to Canada maybe 6 or 8 times in my life, and don't remember having any bad experiences there. With the similar cultures and shared borders, it's a natural ally to the US.

I do love Canada, but it's a shame that they don't trust their responsible citizens with firearms.

(I'd like to see the place that has a gun shop on every corner) It sounds pretty cool, but, in my travels, I've never come across it. :confused24:

1o, 9, 8, 7,...........:whistling:

It is not so much that responsible gun owners are not trusted but more so that they are an easy target for spinless politicians who do not or ever have lived in the real world and tend to cater to the squeaky wheel (narrow minded bleeding hearts) for the sake of acquiring votes. They spent over 5 billion on a gun registry that accomplished nothing, should have realized it would accomplish nothing and should have spent that same money to improving ways of getting at non legal gun owners. Having said that however I do agree that a thorough back ground check should be done before allowing just anyone to own guns. Which our old FAC system already did quite well. But hey news flash nail legal gun owners and illegal ones will fall in line ....NOT.