IGNORED

Thinking of a trike

Sylvester

I have an 02 Midnight Venture and would like to hear from those that have a Tri Wing conversion. I am familiar with the Hannigan since a buddy has one. And I had a Hanniugan sidecar but the steering was hard on my shoulders. Anyone with an American conversion is welcome to chime in.

:farmer:

I did my venture as a tri-wing conversion, am happy with it but the ride is stiff cause of not having independent suspension. did get a wing with csc conversion, ride is completely different with csc independent suspension.

Jonesy is right about the stiffer ride. Had a Tri-Wing kit on my 05. I rode that bike for almost 5 years putting 30,000 miles on it before getting "T" boned by a cage.

Handling is OK but after having my current Hannigan I would never go back to a solid axle trike. Unless Tri-Wing has upgraded their kits you'll still be dealing with drum brakes. I converted the drum brakes to discs within a couple years just to get more even, better stopping brakes. It also made a world of difference for stopping.

Hannigan has a lower profile, longer and wide wheel base to enhance handling. B2Dad called it a Vette on 3 wheels. LOL

Larry

Just my opinion (we all know what that's worth :whistling:)

There is no way any trike conversion or sidecar is going to steer anywhere near as easily as a two wheeler. There is a no comparison between simply rolling my Venture over thru the turns and having to physically push/pull the handle bars to steer the trike. By the time I have ridden from our house in Rockwood, TN to Deals Gap I'm definitely ready to take a break and have a cuppa coffee! I have the Hannigan Easy Steer installed and it may require somewhat less effort to steer but it simply ain't true that it is like power steering for the bike.

Just my opinion (we all know what that's worth :whistling:)

There is no way any trike conversion or sidecar is going to steer anywhere near as easily as a two wheeler. There is a no comparison between simply rolling my Venture over thru the turns and having to physically push/pull the handle bars to steer the trike. By the time I have ridden from our house in Rockwood, TN to Deals Gap I'm definitely ready to take a break and have a cuppa coffee! I have the Hannigan Easy Steer installed and it may require somewhat less effort to steer but it simply ain't true that it is like power steering for the bike.

For even easier steering on the trike, add some Flanders bars on top of that easy steer, it makes a noticeable difference. :thumbsup2:

JFI, I don't have a problem with the extra effort it takes to steer the trike. Simply commenting that it does take a noticeable amount of effort. New comers to the trike experience might want to (if possible) try a short test ride so they can see for themselves what effort it takes. Hannah and I thoroughly enjoy our trike and feel very comfortable riding it.

I have an '89 VR that has a shop built conversion. They used the rear, independent suspension and differential out of (I believe) one of those small Mitsubishi or something pickups that are "grey market" over here. It is not fiberglass but sheet steel for the body and fenders. While the bike is heavy, it rides and corners like a luxury car. I'm only getting about 30 mpg on the road but I can run with any group with no effort whatsoever.

Steering is exactly as described above. It is quite difficult compared to a 2 wheeler. While it's noticeable, especially on a curvy road, it's not impossible and I have ridden the bike 100 miles at a time with no real problem. I have also ridden conversions with a straight axle and I do believe that the independent suspension is much better. :2cents: :Venture:

• 1 month later...
Thanks to all for the information. I know that Hannigan is the one to own, but the price is heavy. Still looking but the steering issue is still an important point.

:farmer:

My 05 TRi-Wing/RSV had both the Flanders bars and the easy steer raked tree. The Hannigan has both as well. I think the rake on it was 4 1/2* . The Hannigan uses I believe 6* For me there was a noticeable difference in steering effort. Hannigan being much easier to handle but you'll still be tired after a day on the twisities if not used to riding them.

Another difference is low speed front wheel wobble with the Tri-Wing having a lot more. The longer wider wheel base coupled with the extra rake on the Hannigan is simply just more stable.

I do feel your pain in the wallet as I went thru that as well when I first went with the Tri-Wing saving myself about 6k. Good luck on whichever way you decide to go.

Larry