IGNORED

BF Goodrich CT works great on 2nd Gen Venture

hardriver

I don't understand all the haters out there that INSIST Its horribly dangerous to run a car tire on the rear wheel. I have over 30,000 miles on my BF Goodrich 155/80R15 (i have a 2005 Venture) and have had zero problems. I expect to get 40,000 miles out of my $85 tire. That's a savings of what, $600 ?

I take turns just as fast as anybody, and the bike is just as stable. I felt a MUCH bigger change switching from the OEM Dunlop tire to a Metzler. Does that mean Metzler makes tires that are super scary unsafe? Of course not.

If those who fear the Darkside like paying $160 every 8,000 miles for a new tire, more power to ya. But stop screaming I'm a fool, tanking my life in my hands, gonna kill myself any day now. Moms all over the world have been whining that tune to every motorcycle rider since the 50's. My zero wrecks, zero close calls, and $600 savings tell me I made the right call, and I'll do it again when I finally need a new rear tire in 10,000 miles.

I set the rear CT pressure to about 36 - 38 PSI. 40 if it gets hotter than the last time i checked it. Any lower and too many people run up to me in a panic because they think my (motorcycle) tire is going flat. Plus I think the tire feels squishy lower than 35. I suspect people who say they thought the rear end didn't feel solid with a CT weren't putting enough air in their tire.

I don't understand all the haters out there that INSIST Its horribly dangerous to run a car tire on the rear wheel. I have over 30,000 miles on my BF Goodrich 155/80R15 (i have a 2005 Venture) and have had zero problems. I expect to get 40,000 miles out of my $85 tire. That's a savings of what, $600 ?

I take turns just as fast as anybody, and the bike is just as stable. I felt a MUCH bigger change switching from the OEM Dunlop tire to a Metzler. Does that mean Metzler makes tires that are super scary unsafe? Of course not.

If those who fear the Darkside like paying $160 every 8,000 miles for a new tire, more power to ya. But stop screaming I'm a fool, tanking my life in my hands, gonna kill myself any day now. Moms all over the world have been whining that tune to every motorcycle rider since the 50's. My zero wrecks, zero close calls, and $600 savings tell me I made the right call, and I'll do it again when I finally need a new rear tire in 10,000 miles.

why would you pay $160 every 8,000 miles for a tire? I get 20,000 out of my e's

My insurance carrier advised me it is against the law for them to prevent you from running a DOT approved tire, he said if you run a Bike tire on a car then that would be a problem. As long as it is a DOT approved tire, nothing they can do. Besides, I have no idea how old you are, but back in the day ALL bikes had Car Like tires on them. The trend to they type tires you see on bikes now came from racing, much like Spoilers came from racing for Cars. Passenger cars realls dont need spoilers, but look how many have them now. Same thing. And dealers and tire salesmen love selling tires every 7 to 9K miles.

45K miles Darkside on a 07 Roadstar, and soon as i wear out the Metz that is new, I am going Darkside. I am going to be fearful of my death running a MC tire. And it's going to be so silly to do two trips and change out a tire.

I can bang into a curve and brake it down without skidding wet or dry. With an MC tire impossible.

Someone wish me luck for 7K miles. I am scared!

I am by no means a tire expert, but isn't the purpose of having a MC tire is due to the way they are built? They have a different shape, to allow gyroscopic type movement that keeps the bike upright in turns and twisties. Someone who knows more may chime in.

I'm running 28 psi on my BF Goodrich, 2-up. Tire wear is even across the tread, except on the very edges, where the twisties wear it down. What pressure are you running?

40 psi front and rear. I was running an Avon Venom front and Kumho CT rear with leveling links and was not too pleased with handling. I had to replace front after 8k miles and went with Michelin Commander 130 width with Dyna Beads for balance, replaced leveling links with original links, put 40 psi front and rear (up from 30 on both).

Big difference in handling. Much better. Prior to doing this I probably would not have replaced my rear with another CT. Now I probably will.

YMMV

I am by no means a tire expert, but isn't the purpose of having a MC tire is due to the way they are built? They have a different shape, to allow gyroscopic type movement that keeps the bike upright in turns and twisties. Someone who knows more may chime in.

The gyroscope phenomenon has nothing to do with the profile or sidewall of the tire. Tire manufacturers have bamboozled riders into thinking you gotta have a soft sticky rear tire. It's a scam. Thousands of guys successfully use a car tire on the rear, with no adverse affects.

I think my CT handles water on the road BETTER than a m/c tire. I'll keep saving $600 every 40,000 miles and the guys that put all that faith in their m/c tires can keep spending an extra $600 every 40,000 miles. If you think the stealship has similar magical powers to do better oil changes than you can in your own garage, shell out extra money do that too.

The gyroscope phenomenon has nothing to do with the profile or sidewall of the tire. Tire manufacturers have bamboozled riders into thinking you gotta have a soft sticky rear tire. It's a scam. Thousands of guys successfully use a car tire on the rear, with no adverse affects.

I think my CT handles water on the road BETTER than a m/c tire. I'll keep saving $600 every 40,000 miles and the guys that put all that faith in their m/c tires can keep spending an extra $600 every 40,000 miles. If you think the stealship has similar magical powers to do better oil changes than you can in your own garage, shell out extra money do that too.

No one ever mentioned any dealership with magical powers, so where that came from IDK. That said, hardriver, your opinion and knowledge is welcome. Being a bit harsh with your replies probably isn't.

At 28 psi, 2 up, the ride is great! I actually went from 36 psi because of the wear in the center of the tread. How is your tire wearing at 40 psi? This TA radial is my 2nd car tire on this bike:) The only issue I have had is that as the tire wears down I'm scrapping pipes in the twistys, causing me to ride a bit slower.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you Darksiders running a rear on the front and if so what are the specs. on it. Size/ make/ I know on my RoadStar I kept the same size, just running a Metz. Rear on the front. I have checked the Darkside Datatbase, Boy that place has changed but only few there and no info what they are running on the front.

• 8 months later...
Hardriver -- exactly which BFG are you running? Had a hell of a time mounting my Kumho a few years back and would like to make a change after I finally wear it out. 35K and running strong so far.
I had a 75mph rear tire blow out on I-95 going towards Florida about a month ago, believe me I was happy to have brought extra pair whitey tighties. first time in 45yrs of riding. I bought a Goodyear 185/65/15 VIVAII at walley world, that one time was enough for me. The tire suck a 1" screw and had less then 1,ooo miles on it, that is a terrible feeling when your bike goes side ways back and fault as it pleases and I always ride the center lane on 3 lane roads, I have to be able to dodge left or right if needed, if you can RIDE a bike then you can adjust to how a bike feels period and that goes for your health care also. Jim