IGNORED

ASHEVILLE 2014 8/13 thru 8/17

Venturous Randy

OK folks, we have about five weeks until the Asheville Rally and it is about time we start getting serious.

For those that have never been to an Asheville rally, it is a bit different than most rallies. To describe it, it is probably more like an extended meet and eat. There are no registration fees and if you want a door prize, you will have to bring one. We do not have any collections for worthy contributions. We do suggest that if you want breakfast or some of the other meals we put together, you make a buck or two contribution to the pot just to help out.

In the past, we have usually had a breakfast of pancakes and meats and this is when most will get together and decide what they want to do for the day. There are so many great rides and places to see that you could spend several weeks and still not see everything you want to see. In the past, we have gotten group discounts to go to The Biltmore House and to the top of Chimney Rock Park. We have also gone to Grandfather Mountain. This is also where the Lynn Cove Viaduct is and it is an engineering marvel.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is near by and going north takes you toward Mt Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi and going south takes you to Cherokee and also has the highest point on the parkway at over 6,000 feet. The BRP ride to Cherokee is the most magnificent parts of the parkway with many open vistas where you are not looking through trees. From Cherokee you can go through Maggie Valley, where the Wheels thru Time museum is located.

As far as rallies, this is about as cheap as you will see. If you tent camp, we have never had anything said about doubling up on any of the large sites. There are several motels in the area and you may want to see where others are staying and maybe share there also. There may also be some cabins available, but I would not want to wait much longer.

Another thing some of the ladies have done that have gotten a little tired of riding is some have taken the cages and gone shopping at near by Black Mountain, which has a bounty of little shops and antiques. These are the days the guys may go to someplace like Highway 80 from Marion to the BRP and it is a lot more fun than The Dragon and is not held to 30mph. :whistling:

Anyway, whether you can stay for Wednesday thru Sunday, stay for the weekend, or just stop by for a visit and ride, everyone is welcome.

RandyA

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting.I will and try to make this one.As a side note,with my diabetes and the bad feet to go along with it,I will most likely cage it.The convertible is just as much fun in the twisties as the bike is.

We don't care what you are riding, we just want to see you. :bighug:

Damn, I can't believe I just said that.:stirthepot:

RandyA

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a particular section we should camp in?

Yes, for camping we use D-19 through about D-24, give or take a few. I have D-20 reserved and I think Woody has D-21. Tell them you are with the Venture group and according to who you are talking to, they may know what you are talking about.

RandyA

Looks like I may not make it this year,been unemployed since june 9 so I guess I'll save to take the whole family off somewhere later this fall.

Unemployment sux.I was unemployed for 3 years.Hope you find a job soon.Gonna miss you at Asheville.I plan on coming down your way later this summer.I love the outer banks.

Looks like I may not make it this year,been unemployed since june 9 so I guess I'll save to take the whole family off somewhere later this fall.

Wow Arthur, I sure do hate to hear that. being laid off or loosing your job is not fun. I been there, done that. I wish you the best.

RandyA

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to another year. Seeing the group is some of the best therapy there is and God knows I need therapy!

I'm with Skid and the "SnoreMaster". (at least that is what he thinks! He has not roomed with me yet):Im not listening toBring on the ear plugs!!!

Have not seen those guys since the Va meet and greet a year or so back.

Come on people, let's start hearing if your coming.

Thanks for heading this up Randy.

I may need to bring a tent...:confused24:

I am seriously considering bringing a three room tent along with my little camper just in case anyone would like to drop by and spend the night. This KOA has been real good about letting us double up on the camp sites and not making an issue about it. These sites are pretty large and with what we have had in the past, it looked like a little village down by the pond.

Everyone is welcome, whether it is for a week or a couple of nights or for an evening. We have always had a great time. If anyone has any questions, ask here, send me a PM or call me, as my number is in my profile.

RandyA

Looking forward to this, I love that area and I think the wife is wanting to go too. Im still on the second shift tho so we're hoping to be there around noon on Saturday and just stay the night, and Head back sunday afternoon. Hoping to catch up with some of ya's saturday at the park.