IGNORED

Venture line backrest, 1987

I just bought a 1987 venture line driver backrest but i dont think all the parts are there, does any one have a parts break down of all the parts so i can see what is missing, i have looked all around and cant find a breakdown on all the parts

Can you take a pic of what you have?? You may have been sold a MKI backrest.. I looked but can't find a pic of a MKII, but they are a fairly simple setup.. I'm sure someone else on the boards can supply one....

Hey Bob,

I have attached a pic of the MKII VR Driver's Backrest that is on mu 87'VR Currently. The pic shows ALL of the parts that are needed to install the Backrest. If you have questions about the install, please feel free to PM me. This backrest was one of the best items I have added to my VR from a comfort standpoint. :thumbsup2:

Earl

53733.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Question on the picture, I have picked up a back rest and thought I was missing parts.

What I see in the picture is hitch clips, do they hold the back rest in the bracket?

I thought maybe I needed something else.

THanks

Mike

Question on the picture, I have picked up a back rest and thought I was missing parts.

What I see in the picture is hitch clips, do they hold the back rest in the bracket?

I thought maybe I needed something else.

THanks

Mike

Nope.... Just the cotter pins. You could pick up a couple hairpin style which are a lot easier to pull when you want to remove the back.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cotter-pins/=au2aen

I think i got it figured out now, from the pic that Skydoc put up, the mounting bracket i have is the wrong one, the one i have has more of round holes than the dimond shape, maybe for an earlyer year, the guy i got it from is going to look and see if he has the right bracket, if not any one out there got a set of brackets like in the pic that skydoc put up.

I think i got it figured out now, from the pic that Skydoc put up, the mounting bracket i have is the wrong one, the one i have has more of round holes than the dimond shape, maybe for an earlyer year, the guy i got it from is going to look and see if he has the right bracket, if not any one out there got a set of brackets like in the pic that skydoc put up.

Actually those brackets are the hard part to find. The seller ends up taking the seat off the bike and forgets the brackets are still on the bike. Bye-Bye brackets. I've seen quite a few MKII back rests on Ebay listed without the brackets. If the guy you bought the backrest can't come up with the correct brackets I'd request a refund including 'ALL' shipping costs. Shipping the thing is not cheap.

Edited by Condor

Actually those brackets are the hard part to find. The seller ends up taking the seat off the bike and forgets the brackets are still on the bike. By-By brackets. I've seen quite a few MKII back rests on Ebay listed without the brackets. If the guy you bought the backrest can't come up with the correct brackets I'd request a refund including 'ALL' shipping costs. Shipping the thing is not cheap.

Yes, said he would refund the money, he lives close so that works out, or will do some trading, he parts out bikes and he rides a venture, good guy glade i met him, check him out on ebay, mrfixit suplus cycles.

i think we will be rideing to the meet and eat at Ureaka springs arkansas this june.

this realy wasen't and ebay thing, he did not have it listed for sale, i just seen it laying on the floor at his shop and ask him how much and it was cheep enought it was worth the gambel. i will make it work one way or the outher.

Edited by showmebob
add to it

mrfixit is a straight up guy to deal with. I've bought several items he had listed and he's great on answering questions and shipping. I always keep an eye on his auctions.

You were lucky to find a backrest even close to complete. I watched for two years before I found one that was decent. Most are missing parts, rusted all to heck or the pad is ripped to shreds.

I tripped over one on eBay by accident that was listed for a "Yamaha Vista". Took a look and it was on a Venture and looked very nice. Had a Buy It Now so I jumped on it. When I got it I was stunned. Very clean and no rust, tears and ALL the parts. Even had the covers for support arms.

I think it was $45.00 on the listing. Not bad for a nice Markland. Well worth the two year wait.

Every now and then..............

Mike

Yes, said he would refund the money, he lives close so that works out, or will do some trading, he parts out bikes and he rides a venture, good guy glade i met him, check him out on ebay, mrfixit suplus cycles.

i think we will be rideing to the meet and eat at Ureaka springs arkansas this june.

this realy wasen't and ebay thing, he did not have it listed for sale, i just seen it laying on the floor at his shop and ask him how much and it was cheep enought it was worth the gambel. i will make it work one way or the outher.

Glad to hear you can work it out.

mrfixit is a straight up guy to deal with. I've bought several items he had listed and he's great on answering questions and shipping. I always keep an eye on his auctions.

You were lucky to find a backrest even close to complete. I watched for two years before I found one that was decent. Most are missing parts, rusted all to heck or the pad is ripped to shreds.

I tripped over one on eBay by accident that was listed for a "Yamaha Vista". Took a look and it was on a Venture and looked very nice. Had a Buy It Now so I jumped on it. When I got it I was stunned. Very clean and no rust, tears and ALL the parts. Even had the covers for support arms.

I think it was $45.00 on the listing. Not bad for a nice Markland. Well worth the two year wait.

Every now and then..............

Mike

Yes he seams to be a great guy, we hit it off i gess because he has a venture allso, he is going trough a hard time right now lost his wife after 17 years back in july, the outher half of his buss. but he seams to be a suvivor, said he is haveing a hard time keeping up with everything doing it all himself now, hes a worker, talked to him yestarday and because of the snow he put chains on his truck so he can still get things mailed out, now how many people gona do that, any way hes got my vote.

• 1 year later...
Hey Bob,

I have attached a pic of the MKII VR Driver's Backrest that is on mu 87'VR Currently. The pic shows ALL of the parts that are needed to install the Backrest. If you have questions about the install, please feel free to PM me. This backrest was one of the best items I have added to my VR from a comfort standpoint. :thumbsup2:

Earl

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53733&d=1296496248

Will this drivers backrest work on a 1985 xvz1200 ? I'm new to the venture

If you want a nice backrest and cannot find one on eBay.. Utopia still makes one for your Venture.. I have one on my 84 and it is excellent.. In my case better than the VentureLine because of the brackets on the VentureLine bothering my wife's legs. She is vertically challenged and those brackets caused her some discomfort. I had a very nice VentureLine that was a perfect match. I had spent a long time finding and then purchasing it. Was on the bike less than a week. Anyhow the Utopia is an excellent product..

http://www.utpr.com/venture.html

• 7 years later...
Hey Bob,

Earl

Could you resend or send me that pic? I don't know if it gets deleted from the forum after a while. I just bought an 87 with this backrest but can't figure out how to adjust it/remove it from the brackets.

thanks!

Hey Thomas,

I tried to find the original pics of my backrest, but were unable to find them! I will be headed out to the garage shortly, and will take new pics for you. Check back later tonight, and if all goes well, there will be new pics attached to my next post.

Sorry for the delay, my wife's "Honey Do List" comes first! (Unless of course you would like to feed me, do my laundry, and make sure my underpants are underneath my jeans when I leave for work in the morning!) Just Kidding!! (NOT Really!)

Earl

Thanx! It should be straightforward, but turning the screws inside where the arms attach to the brackets seems to do nothing. Just don’t want to break something by not knowing how it works. The older I get the smarter I get. As for laundry and food I can handle, but you’re on your own figuring out which side your undies go on :)

Ok I gotta get to the garage and take a closer look at mine. That looks to be the same setup. Quick question first, it’s not visible in the picture, but what does the cap head screw do in the center of the pivot point? I certainly did not see any cotter pins. For the time being I took it off completely so I could take the kid for a ride. I have rear arm rests too, and I don’t like the idea of her being caged in if something were to go wrong.

The screws hold the pivot internals together. They have nothing to do with securing the back rest assembly to the side mounts.

You spread the down tubes of the backrest assembly and press the diamond stubs into the diamond holes then insert the hitch pins or cotter pins to secure it. It should then rotate forward to get out of the passenger's way.

To remove the back rest, pull the hitch pins then grab one leg of the back rest and pull it out and up to clear the side mount.