Links 64 Ads 0
Links Ads
More...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
1984 Venture Royale
Supporting Member

Default 83 front brake switch

Hi everyone
New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
'84 VR, '09 Hannigan RSV
Supporting Member

Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
83 1st Gen, 03 RSV Hybrid
dingy has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rogge View Post
Hi everyone
New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??
The way you have described the switch, it sounds like an 88-89 one. They put a capacitor/choke in the ones for those 2 years in an attempt to reduce radio noise.

The rear brake also has a capacitor/choke, but the clutch does not.

Cut of schematic attached.

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88-89 choke capacitor.jpg (58.3 KB, 7 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to dingy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
87 VR, 89 VR
KIC has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member

Location: Find KIC on Google Maps! Tucson, where we keep the ice in the freezer.

I should have 2 83 parts bikes in a couple of days once I get back from travel. If I have what you need I'll get it to you if you haven't already found one.

Let me know.

Bill

The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Capt Jack Sparrow

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
1984 Venture Royale
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...
Thanks for your help! It appears that my switch is from an '89 model like you said.
Dave Rogge