VentureRider.Org Jake Wilson  

Home Venture History Classifieds Links VRAwards VRPhotos VRChat VRStore Donate
Go Back   VentureRider.Org > General Discussion > Watering Hole

User's Login
User Name
Password
Remember Me?
Mini Stats
Members 12,544 Entries 0
Members Entries
Threads 51,545 Reviews 0
Threads Reviews
Posts 613,705 Polls 45
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 0
Content Files
Links 64 Ads 0
Links Ads
More...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 AM
warrior/honeybee warrior/honeybee is offline
Godspeed our friend. You are missed.
warrior/honeybee has a Profile Picture

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Find warrior/honeybee on Google Maps! black mountain
Default

once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Marcarl's Avatar
Marcarl Marcarl is offline
Mod., 2014 Spyder RTS,SM6
Supporting Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Find Marcarl on Google Maps! Brantford, west end
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a different zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.
http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68375
Had the same issue, with the same results,,, good company, and good product!!
NOTE: You have to be careful when you insert your foot into the pants or you will tear the crotch and cause leaking problems,,,, from the outside in,, I think.
__________________
It's nice to be the same
But
It's great to be different!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
twigg twigg is offline
1986 Venture Royale
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Find twigg on Google Maps! Owasso, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior/honeybee View Post
once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.
You are quite correct.

Once the temperature rises above around 95F, that "cooling breeze" is heating you up. There is a very real danger of severe dehydration and heat stroke. That is why I simply shake my head at motorcyclists who ride in t-shirts and jeans in summer.

The Airglide has fully wind and waterproof liners that should be fitted in very hot weather, making the suit a solid outfit. You can also then pour ice and water inside it that will take away the excess heat.

There is no doubt that such gear is uncomfortable when you are not moving. There isn't a good answer to this. Summers are hot and so far we cannot air-condition motorcycles.

When you peel off such gear, and are bathed in sweat underneath, that simply shows that it is working. The danger is when all the sweat has evaporated and the wind is draining the fluids from your body.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
warrior/honeybee warrior/honeybee is offline
Godspeed our friend. You are missed.
warrior/honeybee has a Profile Picture

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Find warrior/honeybee on Google Maps! black mountain
Default

that sounds like Esperance talking right there o new great moderator. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM
alwrmcusn's Avatar
alwrmcusn alwrmcusn is offline
2009 RSV (Hannigan trike)
alwrmcusn has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Find alwrmcusn on Google Maps! Rockwood
Default

Just my two cents worth:
Last year Hannah and I rode from Banner Elk, NC to just west of Knoxville, TN. It rained all the way and when I say rained I mean it was NOT just a sprinkle now and then. Our new Frogg Togg suits left us wet (damp really) up the center of the front of the upper body. Also the crotch area of my suit left me looking like I had "had an accident" (smile).
Considering that we did a five and a half hour ride in hard rain I suppose that was not too bad. Still I really believe the Frogg Togg suits performed in a less than satisfactory manner.
__________________
Retired: This is my office now!

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM
warrior/honeybee warrior/honeybee is offline
Godspeed our friend. You are missed.
warrior/honeybee has a Profile Picture

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Find warrior/honeybee on Google Maps! black mountain
Default

GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 AM
twigg twigg is offline
1986 Venture Royale
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Find twigg on Google Maps! Owasso, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior/honeybee View Post
GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.
Mine has two liners for the jacket. There is a very thin waterproof "shell". plus a very warm insulated inner.

I have not needed the inner in temps above 35F

The answer to the shock of very cold drinks is simply to drink a little, but often. On long rides I carry a 1 gallon cooler that I can use while riding with a drinking tube.

On shorter rides, or when I have a pillion, we use cup holders and regularly top up 32oz cups.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
warrior/honeybee warrior/honeybee is offline
Godspeed our friend. You are missed.
warrior/honeybee has a Profile Picture

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Find warrior/honeybee on Google Maps! black mountain
Default

roger that. i guess thats what makes the new one better than the one i have. ride safe
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 PM
camos's Avatar
camos camos is online now
~ 90 Venture Royal ~
camos has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Find camos on Google Maps! Saanichton, BC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a HEAVIER DUTY zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.
http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68375
Good to know about the upgraded zipper.

There are several models of Frogg Toggs. Which one do you have and do you know what the differences are between them? The descriptions for each are fairly similar but there is quite a variation in price between the regular Frogg Toggs at the low end and the Elite Highway ones at the high end. I expect you probably know only about the model you have but thought you might know something about the other models. Just thought I would ask.

Did you deal with a Canadian distributor American distributor or directly with Frogg Toggs? Mostly I am interested here in the difference between shipping costs. I recently bought a couple of items from LeatherUp which cost $51 shipping across the border instead of the free shipping in the lower 48.
__________________
Cheers, Clive

~ 90 Venture Royal ~ 96 xv1100 Virago ~
"We have met the enemy and he is us." - POGO

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Shot Shot is offline
2004 yamaha venture r/s
Supporting Member


 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Find Shot on Google Maps! Zebulon
Default

Bought a two piece knock-off frog toggs from Sams for under $30 and I dont have any problems with them. Actually used them today.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
sleepy2 sleepy2 is offline
2012 Royal Star Venture
sleepy2 has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Find sleepy2 on Google Maps! Woodstock
Default

On my second set of Frog Toggs and just love them ! First pair is used as spare for wife to use only because since owning Road-star with Vance & Hines exhaust which is VERY HOT and Toggs don't take heat well at all and they melt easily.Have used Duct tape to patch up holes and they still work. Been thru severe thunder storms and no wetness. Sometimes it felt like crotch area was getting wet so I would ride slightly off seat and when I stopped NOTHING was wet at all.Great investment--cost $90CAN here. Colder weather coat is great for taking the chill off.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-08-2012, 02:09 PM
darthandy's Avatar
darthandy darthandy is offline
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Find darthandy on Google Maps! Welland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy2 View Post
On my second set of Frog Toggs and just love them ! First pair is used as spare for wife to use only because since owning Road-star with Vance & Hines exhaust which is VERY HOT and Toggs don't take heat well at all and they melt easily.Have used Duct tape to patch up holes and they still work. Been thru severe thunder storms and no wetness. Sometimes it felt like crotch area was getting wet so I would ride slightly off seat and when I stopped NOTHING was wet at all.Great investment--cost $90CAN here. Colder weather coat is great for taking the chill off.
If you have to buy another one, check Royal Distributing.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/

Bought some Frogg Toggs for my wife there last year and paid $68.00. Also, they sell a patch kit to glue to the ankles (Or where ever they're needed on the suit) that helps to heat proof that area against exhaust pipes.

Andy
__________________
May the farce be with you...we can all use a good laugh...

2000 Royal Star Venture
1987 Venture Royale
1994 Triumph Sprint 900
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-08-2012, 04:27 PM
saddlebum's Avatar
saddlebum saddlebum is offline
1989 Venture Royale
saddlebum has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Find saddlebum on Google Maps! Burlington, Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camos View Post
Good to know about the upgraded zipper.

There are several models of Frogg Toggs. Which one do you have and do you know what the differences are between them? The descriptions for each are fairly similar but there is quite a variation in price between the regular Frogg Toggs at the low end and the Elite Highway ones at the high end. I expect you probably know only about the model you have but thought you might know something about the other models. Just thought I would ask.

Did you deal with a Canadian distributor American distributor or directly with Frogg Toggs? Mostly I am interested here in the difference between shipping costs. I recently bought a couple of items from LeatherUp which cost $51 shipping across the border instead of the free shipping in the lower 48.
I sent an e-mail directly to the manufacturer at this address marketing@froggtoggs.com. Shipping was not an issue as they covered the shipping cost for replacing my old jacket. It did not cost me a single penny.
__________________
I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
mini-muffin's Avatar
mini-muffin mini-muffin is offline
2012 Goldwing
Supporting Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Find mini-muffin on Google Maps! Hertford, NC
Default

We got wetskins had them sent down by one of our Canadians (Rocket). They work great and you can take out the liner. Not sure if you can get them in the states or not, I do know we couldn't get them anywhere near here.

Margaret
__________________

I'm Never Changing Who I Am!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:02 PM
tx2sturgis's Avatar
tx2sturgis tx2sturgis is offline
Average Member
tx2sturgis has a Profile Picture
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Find tx2sturgis on Google Maps! TX, NM, OK
Unhappy still in a drought

I once had to put on my rainsuit about 3 years ago. Maybe one day it will rain again where I live.



__________________
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2007 RS Venture, 2013 Ural Patrol
2000 HD ElectraGlide (retired)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rain..rain..go away Condor Watering Hole 8 12-22-2010 08:46 PM
Seeing in the rain Shamue Watering Hole 7 01-21-2010 09:42 PM
Rain Rain Go Away......... DragonRider Watering Hole 13 09-21-2009 09:34 AM
Rain?? What's that?? tooldood Watering Hole 15 06-11-2008 03:23 AM
Rain Rain When are you going to stop E-Fishin-C Watering Hole 16 10-11-2007 03:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 VentureRider.org