IGNORED

upgrading bulbs

I feel the standard bulbs in my 07 RSTD are a bit weak, especially the tail light. I'm thinking of replacing them with led replacement bulbs. The led bulbs on the shelf at local auto store don't look any brighter, but it could be the "try it now" battery in the bulb package is not a full 12v.

Does anyone have experience with these bulbs?

What about the stupid 3 prong bulbs at the front turn signals, why would Yamaha put in a non standard bulb? I may see if I can re-slot the socket to accept a standard 2 prong bulb like a 1157, using a dremel tool.

I don't want to spend 90 bucks on a specialty made brake light bulb insert, like I've seen on other posts, simply replace bulbs.

Will the stock flasher work with the leds, or do I need to upgrade that to a solid state flasher?

I feel the standard bulbs in my 07 RSTD are a bit weak, especially the tail light. I'm thinking of replacing them with led replacement bulbs. The led bulbs on the shelf at local auto store don't look any brighter, but it could be the "try it now" battery in the bulb package is not a full 12v.

What about the stupid 3 prong bulbs at the front turn signals, why would Yamaha put in a non standard bulb? I may see if I can re-slot the socket to accept a standard 2 prong bulb like a 1157, using a dremel tool.

I don't want to spend 90 bucks on a specialty made brake light bulb insert, like I've seen on other posts, simply replace bulbs.

Will the stock flasher work with the leds, or do I need to upgrade that to a solid state flasher?

The 2057 will be brighter for brake lite than the 1157. Don't reslot socket, instead file last nib off of 2057NA bulb. There is an article in here somewhere about that.

Oconeedan,

i realize you said you didn't want to spend the money, but these are a really great product Yamaha Motorcycle Taillight- Custom Dynamics - Yamaha LED Brake Light

I have used them in the last three bikes and they really make you visible. I haven't tried them personally, but the LED shaped bulbs are reportedly a waste of money.

i also use the Custom Dynamics modulator to flash my brake light and since I have a Venture, I have a light bar under my trunk sold by one of our members.

Ok, time out... new rules... I told you wrong before.

There is an article in here some where about light bulbs.

On mine, the 2357 is a higher output direct fit for the brake light bulb.

20150322_152744.jpg

The 2357NA (yellow one) can be used in the front turn signals with the lower nib filed off.

20150322_152647.jpg

I haven't messed with the single filament rear turn signals yet.

No doubt the Custom Dynamics is good. I do have an added flashing LED light, I don't know the brand. It was on my bike when I bought it, and it's bright and attention grabbing. But just cruising down the road, only tail light is on, that's why I wanted something brighter. I may buy it (very likely), but first I plan to add a trunk. Very likely with lighting.

The front turn signals are adequate, I was just thinking they may not be as obvious since I have a light bar.

Now, I remember that I had 2357 bulbs in my last bike. This bike is new to me, still tinkering with it. :)

I tried 2 or 3 "LED replacement" type bulbs with very little success. The way the LED bulbs displace light its more straight out from the little "dome" piece. So look at the bulbs, and when they are in the socket you wil see they point up. So the beam is not projecting the direction you want. If you can find one the ones that look like a lolly pop would work. I made some rear LED brake/run lights for mine from some round lights I found on e-bay for around $6 and made a bracket and got them fit under the lens. No small feat. I have a rear light bar from MA61AMECH (steve) on the rear, and additionaly I found some LED clearence lights on e-bay from R&P carriages. I wired them with some resistors in them to run at partial voltage for running lights and fuel voltage for stop. Mounted on a bracket off the saddle bag to fender rail.

Rear-lights-not-on-web.jpgLook under trun signals at end of chrome.

It only took 3 days to get here, and swap out is a snap. My first impressions are, the bulb is a tad brighter than the 2357 bulb, but nothing like a solar flare. When I took the 2357 out, after only 2 minutes of intermittent brake for comparison, that bulb was as hot as a firecracker.

The LED, runs much cooler, in fact it was only slightly warm after a few minutes. I don't know if the bulb DRAWS 30W, or illuminates like a 30W...I would guess it doesn't draw much but illuminates like a 30W bulb. And, it's "instant on", no ramp up time. So, I like it. Viewing angle did not seem to matter.

I like it, and the price, and will likely end up replacing my turn signals with them too. I may need to add a load resister somewhere in the turn signal circuit.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/OconeeDan/30W%20Cree%201157.jpg

• 2 months later...

I found some bulbs like that and am using them in my passing lights. They work decent for that. Dont know how they would be for turn signals. Like I said the cheap-o led bulbs off ebay dont do a good job. If you dont use a resistor to increase load on the flasher the blink really fast.

If simple is what you want I got my replacement LEDs from Super Bright LED. They are not the cheapest by far, but they are way brighter than the 1157 incandescent. The ones I got are the 45 LED towers. These come in both 1157 and 1156 types. Remember when adding LEDs to match the LED color to the lens color. I have played with some of the less expensive LEDs available the results are very disappointing.

There is a huge difference in LED quality between different places.

I can tell you I have tried these type in the brake position and dont work worth a hoot. drop-in-led-replacement-bulb-for-double-filament-1157-bulb-amber-84176a0.jpg

I have tried these bulbs in the turn and brake and they were not much better than a regular bulb and flashed so fast I was not sure someone could differentiate if it was even on. 27-SMD-5050-LED-Bulbs-05.jpg