IGNORED

Test rode a Royal Star today, HELP?

Hey Gang, I have been riding a 1st gen 84 Venture std for 28 years and 100,000 miles and loved almost every minute (except for breakdowns and fuel leaks) but its time for a new ride. I found on Craigslist a beautiful dark blue 07 Venture Royal Star with 28,000 miles on it in immaculate condition. HOWEVER when I traded bikes with the owner and took the bike on some nice twisties my experience with the steering was HORRIBLE, it was so light and twitchy, squrrley, falls to the inside of the turn whatever the definitive term, I had to countersteer so hard that it was impossible to carve a smooth line in say 15 to 35 mph corners, to the point where it was NOT fun to ride.The bike would start to stabilize above 50 mph or so. I realize this was a new unfamiliar bike for me and there is a learning curve. The bikes owner said it has felt the same since he bought it new, He just put a new tire on the front and has matching Avon's running 40 Lbs of air front & rear. The bike is perfect in every other way and I would love to buy this bike IF this problem is fixable with New steering head bearings, different tires or air pressure, aftermarket steering damper, whatever it takes. What do you guys think? if this is (As the owner implied) is just the way it is and always has been. Is this how your rides feel to you? When I got back on my dearly beloved "old beater" and rode home, within 2 blocks I decided NO SALE on an otherwise sweet ride, and go start looking at Kawasaki Vulcans or something instead. Because I cant imagine having enough fun to get this new bike to 100,000 miles the way it is. Maybe its just me But I have rented / ridden other unfamiliar bikes and have NEVER felt any other ride this twitchy. PLEASE HELP with all the worldly sage advice and experience you all might be able to provide!??? Because I would really like to buy this bike! IF its fixable! AND THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

:feedback: :fingers crossed:

A couple of things come to mind. Standard front tire is 150. Some have put on a 130, which will make it more likely to do what you describe. If it's combined with the other thing (different leveling links), some here who have done both didn't like it with both. Typically, it's one or the other. I went with the leveling links only & it improved the low speed handling. I'm sure others will chime in on their experience. Ask (or look again) about the front tire size.

I have gone to the 130 in front and it was an improvement in handling not what is described by Gilligan. Does it have a lowering kit, is the rear shock good (no leak), are the front shocks equalized (air). I run the following pressures. Tires 36 front and 40 rear. For the shocks 3 front and 30 to 40 rear . How is the steering head bearing?

I have gone to the 130 in front and it was an improvement in handling not what is described by Gilligan. Does it have a lowering kit, is the rear shock good (no leak), are the front shocks equalized (air). I run the following pressures. Tires 36 front and 40 rear. For the shocks 3 front and 30 to 40 rear . How is the steering head bearing?

Yup pretty much everything mentioned here. My very first thought was "what kind of air pressures" were in the tires. Sounds like the front could be soft. I am running Shinkos Tourmaster 230 and run 40 at both ends, my Michelins (which was a 130 in front) was about the same. Steering head bearings may need a bit of tightening, they do seem to back off for some reason. I lowered the front forks about 3/4"in on mine to help with slow speed stuff. I have heard that doing the lowering links help in the rear for seat height, but on the other side of that actually raises the front height and thus steering goes to pot at slower speeds.

At that mileage I can even consider the swing arm bearings or front forks being bad. Rear shock, you bet. Take a peak under it, if the shock bolt is oily the shock is bad and is just south of $500 for parts and about an hour to change.

Leak-2-web.jpgOil-on-ground-web.jpg

When I went to a 2ndGen I felt just the opposite. The 1st was much more responsive, which I attribute to the difference between a frame mount vs. a fork mount fairing. The 2nd handled like a truck. Nick named my '99 'Miss Piggy'. Having a light feel is not normal in my opinion..... E3/150 from the git-go...