IGNORED

Coolant Leak

update

it was a leaking slave cylinder I bought the rebuild kit and the bike is no longer leaking

Hello Riders

I have only put around 250 miles on my new to me 1998 Royal Star, so I am still learning about this bike and her issues. After my last ride around 120 miles round trip, I parked the bike in the garage and the next morning found a puddle of coolant on the floor it continued to pee for about a day and since has slowed. I looked up coolant leaks on this forum and found that the air fin cover had common leaks behind them. so I pulled those off and they look good the leak seems to be coming from below the clutch cylinder under the engine, I don't even know how I would access that area.

I took some pictures to show the area it is leak from. Also I checked the coolant res and refilled it; it only needed a little added. sorry for the bad pictures.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Julius.

IMAG0583red.jpgIMAG0584.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

Edited by spicciani

Common problem and easy to fix. Those little rubber plugs need replaced. In cooler weather they contract just enough to leak. Till you get the replacement plugs (part numbers & more pics on this forum, do a search on coolant leak) you can put a dime over the plug (use a dab of grease to hold it in place) the dime thickness will compress it enough to stop the leak. You can use the top of a spare plug to thread into the rubber plug to remove it. Mine have always just fallen out. Also, the coolant should be green not brown, I think yours is way over due & needs changed.

Thanks for the quick reply Art. I am still skeptical that it is the out side plugs, because of where where it seems to be leaking from, but I hope your right. I guess the parts are likely cheap so might as well replace them. PO said he changed the coolant(maybe not flushed) but you are right looks like a lot of rust coming down. - Julius

• 4 weeks later...