IGNORED

Texting

mralex714

This has not much to do with topic but I have bluetooth in truck and on the bike. The other day I was taking mom to the Dr and we were behind this car that was braking and crossing the line I truly thought they were drunk had my phone getting ready to call it in. They were going to same place it was an older couple.. Mom was talking to her and the lady said she could not see very well. I am thinking with as much as one gets older they need to take driving test once a year and vision test every six months. Maybe even hearing test. Just my opinion, I have had my share of close calls with them. But more so texters then drunks and little old ladies combined...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Taking tests once a year & vision every six months. Say Whaaaaat? & hearing tests???

What about younger people who drive with earbuds in their ears so can hear nothing that's going on around them? There are many, many younger people out there who are waaaaay worse drivers than older people.

I had my eyes tested just a few weeks ago, my eyesight is better than many 20 odd year olds! (my optician told me) Younger drivers have far too many distractions, it's those that need to be stopped. Earbuds, cellphones, texting, I've even seen some clown playing games while driving!

Why the hell should I as an older driver, on a fixed income be subject to annual tests (& more importantly, their associated prohibitive costs) just because I'm getting older. Smacks a bit of ageism.... I've had close calls with inattentive young & mid aged females & males, not so much wit older folks though. Have to say there are lousy & inconsiderate drivers of ALL ages.

Sorry Snyper we often agree but I can't agree with you on this one.

Taking tests once a year & vision every six months. Say Whaaaaat? & hearing tests???

What about younger people who drive with earbuds in their ears so can hear nothing that's going on around them? There are many, many younger people out there who are waaaaay worse drivers than older people.

I had my eyes tested just a few weeks ago, my eyesight is better than many 20 odd year olds! (my optician told me) Younger drivers have far too many distractions, it's those that need to be stopped. Earbuds, cellphones, texting, I've even seen some clown playing games while driving!

Why the hell should I as an older driver, on a fixed income be subject to annual tests (& more importantly, their associated prohibitive costs) just because I'm getting older. Smacks a bit of ageism.... I've had close calls with inattentive young & mid aged females & males, not so much wit older folks though. Have to say there are lousy & inconsiderate drivers of ALL ages.

Sorry Snyper we often agree but I can't agree with you on this one.

Maybe I should have been more into what I was getting at. I should be more exact I guess this couple was in there 80's. It is highly illegal to have earbuds in or headphones on while driving a car. You are also not supposed to blare your radio either while it is in motion. Now it has been 25 yrs since I looked at missouri drivers book but that is what was in there. Sorry was not trying to offend anyone here but most of you are not my idea of old.... maybe older so I see the point. But again I can usually read what little old ladies are gonna do.... or not do, rather be behind them then a drunk or someone texting... My hole point was basically I have more problesm in one day with People thinking that there in a phone booth then I have had with drunks and little old ladies in my lifetime.

No offence taken Snyper, & I do take the point you were making, just fyi I often see people driving with earbuds in also we here in BC are required to undergo medical evaluation at age 80 to ensure we are capable of driving & every two years thereafter, though some seniors advocate groups are lobbying that this is against our Charter Rights. It's also reported that the "tests" may cost anywhere from $75 to $400 depending on exactly what is required!

Extract from BC Gov't website re "seniors"

Health problems tend to manifest themselves, or become more prevalent as drivers age which is why, beginning at age 80 and every two years thereafter, drivers must be assessed by their doctor and submit a medical report to RoadSafetyBC. Further, cognitive impairment with respect to driving represents a growing public safety issue as BC’s population ages.represents a growing public safety issue as BC’s population ages. As a result it is imperative that drivers who show signs of cognitive decline are assessed to ensure that they are fit to drive.

No offence taken Snyper, & I do take the point you were making, just fyi I often see people driving with earbuds in also we here in BC are required to undergo medical evaluation at age 80 to ensure we are capable of driving & every two years thereafter, though some seniors advocate groups are lobbying that this is against our Charter Rights. It's also reported that the "tests" may cost anywhere from $75 to $400 depending on exactly what is required!

Extract from BC Gov't website re "seniors"

Health problems tend to manifest themselves, or become more prevalent as drivers age which is why, beginning at age 80 and every two years thereafter, drivers must be assessed by their doctor and submit a medical report to RoadSafetyBC. Further, cognitive impairment with respect to driving represents a growing public safety issue as BC’s population ages.represents a growing public safety issue as BC’s population ages. As a result it is imperative that drivers who show signs of cognitive decline are assessed to ensure that they are fit to drive.

Well when I took my road test at age 15 they gave me hearing, sight, and sign test then onto the road. I don't know when they took the hearing test away but did notice when I got my M endorsement they no longer had the headphones there just had you look into the tester which was just road signs, and where the red light blinked. Then you go over to DMV and they had some letters in theres wanting to know what lines I could read. It all used to be included for the sum of your license. I do know if you don't pass at the DMV you have to go to your eye Dr and have him fill out a form then you get the Eye Glass restriction. So you can be fined if your pulled over and don't have your glasses on. About 5 or so years ago Missouri thought it would be a good Idea for them to Issue Permanent licenses for people over 60. Last I heard they settled at 65 and its a 10 yr license at 7.50. But with all laws in Missouri they seemed to be added to or taken from every year. They have been pushing to try and get a law passed about using your phone without bluetooth. But for some reason it never seems to make it to our Governors. I am thinking there is a law right now saying I can use my phone while driving but If I am under 18 its a hefty fine. Kinda counter productive as I have had to swerve many times in the 4 lanes here in town because some lady yapping on her phone inching towards me. Honk your horn at them and they give you a dirty look, its even Dirtier when I am on Tinker...:Avatars_Gee_George:

I counter that by never riding in anyones blind spot. It can be tricky in town but I manage. If I see a phone I know there is a much greater chance they will do something stupid. I waste no time passing either. Oh well, those that do it will tell you its not an issue (denial) haha. So I spotted this in the paper and thought I would share it to bring se levity to an otherwise serious problem

http://www.kotatv.com/content/news/?article=417808103.

I got a chuckle out of it. Better them than us, right? :soapbox:

Now that I'm over 21 I watch closely to see if I'm slipping. Reflexes may have slowed just a bit but experience should make that up. I have noticed I cain't turn to look as I should be able to. Been busted up a few times. But I'm working on that. Off to the gym to try and loosen things up. 3 days a week. Might get something going.:bang head::Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

Now that I'm over 21 I watch closely to see if I'm slipping. Reflexes may have slowed just a bit but experience should make that up. I have noticed I cain't turn to look as I should be able to. Been busted up a few times. But I'm working on that. Off to the gym to try and loosen things up. 3 days a week. Might get something going.:bang head::Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

Yeah that... I need to start by going to the pool and work towards the other stuff. When I'm swimming I sound like a bowl of rice crispies.. [emoji12] but this weight is just making my knees worse. I would like to be riding a bike by this summer.. Haven't religiously rode one for over 8 yrs... Now that I don't smoke I am breathing alot better.[emoji106]

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

The thing I find most frustrating about texting and driving is that the technology exists to stop it! I know most of you have heard about Poke'mon Go. well when you start this game it can sense how fast you're going and the little screen pop's up and says your driving don't play the game, of course the game has an override so that you can say you're a passenger but.

An app that senses any motion over 5 mph should be placed on every teens phone! Make it not removable and not over ridable. If you're a passenger you can't text either! Also if you get caught by a cop with a phone in your hand and you are over 21 well court ordered app install! Just like breathalyzer for offenders.

Several states have Cell phone laws but it is not a primary offense. meaning that the police can't pull you over just for cell phone use, they have to see other behavior or offenses.

• 1 year later...

Every phone has a GPS in them today, all they would have to do is make it so that once the phones GPS detects it is moving 5 MPH or faster it disables the ability to text and use the internet. I could care less if the passenger can't use the phone, to many people have died because of drivers that text, surf the internet, facebook or what ever else they do. I would even go so far as to make it so the phone function could not be used with the exception of 911 service.

These smart phones have only been around since 2007 and they did not have all the abilities they have today, but people act like they can't do their job if they don't have that phone pasted to their ear or they can't text every minute or surf the internet and facebook.

We all got along just fine before 2007 without texting, surfing the internet and facebooking and we can make it so those features are disabled when the phone is moving and people will again get along just fine.

• 7 months later...

I was just hit by a distracted driver this past October I've been riding for about 45 years now and the first time I ever been hit.

, normally if I'm first at the light I'll I watch For traffic when the light changes make sure no one's coming in this case I was three cars down the line another words the light turned green and three cars had to go through the intersection before I got there I just happened to be the Unlucky guy

Here comes some woman down the road like the light didn't even exist and smack me busted up Ankle busted up finger bruised ribs no fun still recovering, be careful out there everybody

• 1 year later...

I always wait a few seconds before I go, when stopped at a traffic light. You just never know who might want to beat the Red light. Even to this day with so many modern bluetooth technology already factory installed in cars and trucks on the road, I still see people using their phones while driving. Very dangerous for all of us.

A post from the past. The first reply on the last page was our old buddy Yammer Dan.

I sure do miss seeing Yammer Dan's name on here. Never did get a chance to meet him in person, but felt like I knew the man pretty well just from interaction on here. I've often wondered how his brother made out with the situation he was going through when Dan left us.

Prayers Up for Yammer!

I sure do miss seeing Yammer Dan's name on here. Never did get a chance to meet him in person, but felt like I knew the man pretty well just from interaction on here. I've often wondered how his brother made out with the situation he was going through when Dan left us.

Prayers Up for Yammer!

Same as you I never met Dan in person but had fun jabbering back and forth here. His brother ended up with 5 years, sentenced in 2017 with credit for time served he should be out soon.

I have a friend who used to do this. He now has a metal rod inside his thigh. He hit a car in front of him. The driver was an a-hole for brake checking him but if only my friend was focused on riding his steed then it wouldn't have had happened. The car's rear camera even recorded him texting.

I have a friend who used to do this. He now has a metal rod inside his thigh. He hit a car in front of him. The driver was an a-hole for brake checking him but if only my friend was focused on riding his steed then it wouldn't have had happened. The car's rear camera even recorded him texting.

I wonder if the video was even presented in court, if there was one.