IGNORED

tag along harbor freight

rbig1

The hubs and axles on the trailer are all metric, you can go to a bearing store and get the correct metric bearing in a much better quality than stock. Even though the sizes are real close, they are not close enough to mix SAE and Metric parts.

If you are going to convert to American sizes you will be best off to build a complete new axle assembly. Get a piece of square tubing, weld on the new stubs and mount the new hubs with good old 1" bearings available anywhere. The only part that you would not be replacing is the piece between the stubs, stock is just a chunk of sheet metal bent into a U. It will cost more to try to salvage that piece than to just replace it.

Halfway between us in Illinois is a place called R&P Carriage that sells all the stuff you would need at good prices. I am planning to do the same thing but I will be setting it up with 7" electric brakes. If you make a new setup, make sure to get the stuff that will allow you to add electric brakes latter on if you wish.

You would have to cut the power by at least 50% or it will lock the wheels. There isn't enough weight to keep it from skidding. Especially when its raining. Last year rode in the rain more than when it was dry. Automotive controllers send to much power.

It is all a balancing act.

The 7" brakes are very small so they have very little braking power so the standard controller will still work.

The controllers can be turned way down also, Same as when I pulled my empty cargo trailer behind my truck and the trailer had brakes strong enough to lock the wheels when loaded to 7,000 lbs but yet can be turned down to not lock the wheels when unloaded at 1200 lbs.

Well ended up buying metric bearings for one side. The other side still looked like new. Grease was a different color from one side to other side. Black and white. Think there was water in failed one. Could see water beads inside cap. So will see what happens. Could buy the whole hub for what I paid for bearings. Only place that had them in stock.:fingers-crossed-emo Ready for next year I hope

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...