IGNORED

Radiator Leak?

Dave77459

Along with a mysterious oil drip, my 2006 RSTD now features a coolant leak. I doubt it is the radiator, but that's where the leak manifests. There looks like a in front trickle, and I've seen fluid on that stem thing on the top. The trickle seems to come from the stem thing. (See photos)

I've looked for visible wetness up top, but can't see any from the sides. I do see "steam" coming from low down... could that condense up top?

Before I tear into that front end mess, does this ring a bell with someone?

Dave

Radiator Post.jpg

IMG_20141123_115044.jpg

IMG_20141123_115052.jpg

You might try going by Autozone. They have radiator pressure testers you can test caps and cooling systems. Several adapters in the little kit, hopefully one will fit. I am afraid though it looks as though its sprung a leak. I think the piece you are pointing to is a mount. Unfortunately the ra is probably plastic tank and metal core and its just clamped together, so no viable repair. Jb weld might get you home, but I dont think I would want to call it a permanent fix.

Does it leak static, with bike just sitting still in garage? Or does it have to warm up and then leak?

From the black streak running down the front of the radiator, and the puddle of green in the bottom lip, I think your red arrow has pin pointed it. I think if it t'were me I'd check the over-flow hose bib, and or replace the cap. It may be nothing more than cutting a bit off the O.F. hose and reclamp.

You might try going by Autozone. They have radiator pressure testers you can test caps and cooling systems. Several adapters in the little kit, hopefully one will fit. I am afraid though it looks as though its sprung a leak. I think the piece you are pointing to is a mount. Unfortunately the ra is probably plastic tank and metal core and its just clamped together, so no viable repair. Jb weld might get you home, but I dont think I would want to call it a permanent fix.

Does it leak static, with bike just sitting still in garage? Or does it have to warm up and then leak?

It requires the engine to be hot. The pressure tester is a good idea, though.

From the black streak running down the front of the radiator, and the puddle of green in the bottom lip, I think your red arrow has pin pointed it. I think if it t'were me I'd check the over-flow hose bib, and or replace the cap. It may be nothing more than cutting a bit off the O.F. hose and reclamp.

That area is so hard to see in. I have seen green fluid higher up than the red arrow... condensation? Not sure how to get to the hoses, but I feel like coolant is dribbling down and collecting on the red arrow. I have felt the engine get really hot, which makes me wonder if the thermostat isn't working. Again, the part is hard to get to.

Thanks for the ideas!

I also have a radiator leak. I haven't pin pointed mine yet but it looks about the same runs from top to bottom. At first I thought it was the plastic drain bolt at bottom but once removing the lowers and radiator cover it is running down the fins to the bottom. I hope to get time in the next couple days to analyze the issue more and fix.

I also have a radiator leak. I haven't pin pointed mine yet but it looks about the same runs from top to bottom. At first I thought it was the plastic drain bolt at bottom but once removing the lowers and radiator cover it is running down the fins to the bottom. I hope to get time in the next couple days to analyze the issue more and fix.

Interesting! Does it look the same as my photo? I'm heading out in a moment to start taking the bike apart and investigate.

Update of a sorts. I got the radiator off and examined it. There didn't look to be any leak from the top pin (photo). There didn't look to be any leak at all.

I tested the fan, and it works.

I followed the steps for removing the thermostat but couldn't figure out how to get it out. Its a 3-D puzzle, and I am usually very good at that, but I couldn't get it out. So reversed myself and put the bike back together. Now that I have a better idea of where to look, I wanted to run it and see where it leaks.

But now I have a leak out of the heat pipe 2. (photo) Reading parts lists, I note that there should be an o-ring, but I didn't see one. It is part 93210-18417-00 in the parts fiche, and is priced variously from $1.62 to $9.50. Surely it is just an o-ring. Anyone know the size? I thought I saw it listed here, but can't find it in searches.

Edit: Does fluid leaking from the heat pipe indicate the water pump is working?

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

It appears that mine has a leak too. I haven't been able to locate it yet. I had seepage where the small hose connects to the metal tube alongside the top of the frame. Tightening the clamp fixed that. The drain plugs in the cylinders were also leaking so I replaced them. I haven't been able to locate any other damp spots and it doesn't leak on the floor, even when running, but I smell coolant any time I stop while riding. Other than topping it off after the drain plug replacement, I have only added about a pint of coolant to the overflow reservoir in the 3 years I've owned the bike.

I don't know if I can be of any help to you guys but a friend of mine has an '06 RSTD and he is on his 3rd radiator. He has had the same problem with leaking. Seems to me that Yamaha has installed some bad radiators for a couple of years. So far he is having good luck with the 3rd one. You may want to check with the dealer that did all the work and is pretty knowledgeable about the problem. Contact the owner, Mike at Cyclesport Yamaha, Hobart, IN. Sorry don't have the fone number...just google it.

I hope I have helped.

It appears that mine has a leak too. I haven't been able to locate it yet. I had seepage where the small hose connects to the metal tube alongside the top of the frame. Tightening the clamp fixed that. The drain plugs in the cylinders were also leaking so I replaced them. I haven't been able to locate any other damp spots and it doesn't leak on the floor, even when running, but I smell coolant any time I stop while riding. Other than topping it off after the drain plug replacement, I have only added about a pint of coolant to the overflow reservoir in the 3 years I've owned the bike.

That's really interesting. Sounds like you are loosing a drop at a time.

I don't know if I can be of any help to you guys but a friend of mine has an '06 RSTD and he is on his 3rd radiator. He has had the same problem with leaking. Seems to me that Yamaha has installed some bad radiators for a couple of years. So far he is having good luck with the 3rd one. You may want to check with the dealer that did all the work and is pretty knowledgeable about the problem. Contact the owner, Mike at Cyclesport Yamaha, Hobart, IN. Sorry don't have the fone number...just google it.

I hope I have helped.

I don't know. My bike has 97,000 miles on it now, and the problem just started. Can't say that the radiator is defective. LOL

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Another update. I went to the auto parts store with part in hand, and looked at their O-rings. None looked like mine. Theirs were round while mine was almost a rectangle in section. So I went off to the the dealer and bought one part number 93210-18417-00 for $4.50. They had to go to the remote stock to get it, which gave me a chance to check out the new bikes. The Triumph Tiger looks interesting, but they had a gorgeous FJR. If I can ever get Roxie to stop bleeding, I'll get something new.

Anyways, it turns out the auto store probably did have an O-ring of proper size, but mine was so smooshed that it didn't look similar. Below are pics of the new and old, and some caliper readings I took of the new one (19mm x 2mm).

I installed heat pipe 2 with the new O-ring, and that solved the leak there. I started her up and saw some on the pin and at the bottom of the radiator. Remembering that I spilled some when filling the radiator, I wiped it down and started her again. No visible fluid. However, there is steam.

Question: does coolant steam off when it is exposed / not under pressure? Am I seeing the radiator "burning off" the spilled fluid?

Dave

93210-18417-00 New Vs Used.jpg93210-18417-00 New Round Used Flattened.jpg93210-18417-00 Inner Diameter.jpg93210-18417-00 Width.jpg

Question: does coolant steam off when it is exposed / not under pressure? Am I seeing the radiator "burning off" the spilled fluid?

Coolant will leave a film that will give off steam as it dries. It helps to hose off the area of a spill with clean water and then blow off most of the water with an air hose. May still have a little steam but it doesn't last long

Coolant will leave a film that will give off steam as it dries. It helps to hose off the area of a spill with clean water and then blow off most of the water with an air hose. May still have a little steam but it doesn't last long

Terrific, thanks. The stream eventually stopped and there have been no drips so far.

I think I have found the leak. I haven't had time to tare down the bike but visually inspecting it, it is come from under the tank. It is dripping down onto the fan then the radiator. I saw it all over the air box hose that connects the two air cleaners. I will hopefully be able to tear into it tonight.

I think I have found the leak. I haven't had time to tare down the bike but visually inspecting it, it is come from under the tank. It is dripping down onto the fan then the radiator. I saw it all over the air box hose that connects the two air cleaners. I will hopefully be able to tear into it tonight.

Well, that area only comprises about 75% of the coolant system. :whistling:

Did you download and look at the pages I ripped from the service manual? It is in post 10. I think you can take off the tank and the side covers, and look with a bright light from both sides, and maybe see the leak. Make sure you look at both ends of the upper radiator hose. That hose would drip right into the center of the radiator, and also on the air box hose.

Good luck!

These radiators can be repaired at a good shop. I had a leak in my 02 RSMV and the warranty replacement was going to take a long time to get to the dealer. I took the radiator to a shop and had it welded and checked. The new radiator came about three months later. It is in the box in the attic and I am still running the old one.

NO it is not for sale.

:farmer: